sixty four

Austin

At the police station, I was roughly being told what to do and asked various questions. I explained my side of the story with complete honestly. I didn't mention Jess at all, though.

All I said was that I was there for a friend, and a guy hit me when I was verbally defending myself. They showed me everyone else that was arrested, and I pointed out the guy that fought me.

"You can make one phone call," the officer said, walking me towards the phone. I dialed Caleb's number. I could only trust him.

"Hello?" He answered. "Caleb, it's Austin," I began. "I'm already here, bro," he said. I paused for a few seconds.

Jess.

"Alright."

Hanging up, Caleb was allowed in. The officer restated the information I gave, but I wasn't allowed to say anything. Caleb knew I wasn't lying at all. When it came to authorities, I never lied.

As my guardian, he had to give permission to do more shit. When he did, I had to fill out papers, take a drug test, and show my license as proof of identification.

After processing everything, I was finally let out.

The first person I saw was Jess. She immediately walked over and threw her arms around me. Wrapping my arms around her waist, I leaned my head against hers.

She still smelled like alcohol and weed. I wasn't even sure how to talk about this shit with her. I was so angry, I didn't even want to. "I'm sorry," she softly said. "Don't worry," I said, as we parted.

"We have to get the car before midnight," Caleb said. I nodded. "How are you getting home?" I asked her. "I called an Uber," she held up her phone.

I nodded my head. "Be careful," I said. She nodded.

Caleb and I walked out to Dads car. Obviously this wasn't a secret anymore.

"What did mom and dad say?" I asked. He sighed. "Let me just tell you that you're fucked," he said. I knew that. It was clear by now.

Through the ride home, I shifted uncomfortably from the pain around my body. I was sure that I'd have bruises everywhere by morning.

Getting the car took a while. Caleb had to pay a fee and after that, I drove his car home. Once we got in, Mom and Dad were quietly in the living room with the TV on.

Knowing what to expect, I waited for it.

"You got arrested," Dad stood up. "It wasn't my fault," I defended. "Austin, you still got arrested!" He shouted.

I stayed silent, waiting for him to continue. There was no point in me arguing if he would just yell over me.

"What happened to your face?" He asked. My jaw still hurt from the assholes fist. "Nothing," I shook my head. "Austin-" "Why do you think I got arrested?" I snapped.

He stayed silent for a few seconds.

"Two months. Give me your phone," he held out his hand. I pulled it out of my pocket and handed it to him. "Keys," he added. I sighed, giving those, too.

"Dad, come on," Caleb said. "Go to your room," he said. I brushed past Caleb and went upstairs, locking the door to my room.

Letting out a breath, I unbuttoned my shirt and stood in front of the mirror. Sure enough, there were bruises forming.

Putting on comfortable clothes, I laid in bed. I hesitated reaching for my laptop. If it made any noise, I'd get that taken away, too.

Just as I reached for it, a knock on my door sounded. I stood up with my laptop, opening the door before handing it to Dad, who clearly came for that reason.

Shutting the door, I laid in bed. Bored and in pain, I eventually drifted off to sleep.