thirty seven

Jessica

I took a few seconds to process what she said. My best friend.. for years. How did I not have a single clue?

By the time I snapped back into reality, I threw my arms around her again, pulling her closer than ever.

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?" I softly asked. "Because it's scary, Jess, I'm not the same person-"

"Kayla," I cut her off, parting the hug. "You shouldn't have to feel that way," I spoke quieter. "You're still the same person. Your love life only adds to who you are," I explained.

She sobbed, hugging me again. "I'm sorry," she said. "There's nothing to apologize for," I said.

"Please don't tell anyone," she looked into my eyes, deeply. I knew she wasn't in any way joking.

"Wh- I- yeah," I stuttered. "I won't, I promise," I nodded.

"How long have you known?" I asked her. She looked down, then back up. "Can I please explain everything another day?" She asked. I nodded. "Of course."

Wrapping my arms around her one last time, I closed my eyes. "I love you," I told her. "I love you, too."

Finally parting, she gave me a weak smile before walking off.

I walked back to Austin's house, seeing him anxiously waiting at the doorway.

"Where's-" "He left," he cut me off, knowing I was asking for Kyle. I sighed. I couldn't even explain to Austin what happened.

"What happened? Why did she freak like that?" Austin asked. "I don't know," I looked away from his eyes. I could never lie to him to his face.

"Babe," he said, unconvinced. "She'll explain.. soon," I said, resting my arms around his neck.

"That was shit," he said, as I hugged him. "I know. What did Kyle say?" I asked. "Nothing. I tried talking to him but he just dipped," he explained.

I rested my head on his shoulder, feeling his on top of mine.

"Are we terrible friends for encouraging him to do it?" I asked. "There's worse reasons to be a terrible friend," Austin said. I smiled, letting out a soft laugh.

"C'mon, at least we have a functional relationship," he said, inching towards the basement again. "Do we?" I teased. "Oh yeah," he nodded, smiling. "The best."

"Wait, babe we have homework," I realized. He hyperextended his groan, turning around to face me in annoyance. "Do we have to do it?" He asked. "We do," I laughed.

"Can we do it later?" He asked. "Please," he begged. I gave in, unable to resist his soft tone.

He dragged me to the couch, laying his head on my lap, giving me easy access to play with his hair.

He closed his eyes in relaxation, steadily breathing.

We sat quietly, nothing but music still playing.

I moved my hand away from his hair, as my phone lit up with a text.

"No, why'd you stop?" He pouted, pulling my hand back to his head. I let out a soft laugh, before continuing to stroke his hair with one hand, using the other for my phone.

Dad
Be home by dinner

Me
Okay

"My dad just told me to be home by dinner," I told him. "How long until then?" He questioned.

"Umm, an hour, probably," I said. "That's so soon," he complained, finally opening his eyes.

"It's fine, I'll see you at school tomorrow," I laughed.

He sat up, placing a finger below my chin before drawing our lips together. I smiled, resting my hand on the side of his face, as our lips moved softly in sync.

"Austin!"

We pulled apart at the shout of Becca's voice. "What?" He shouted back. "Do you have the speaker?" She asked, coming down the stairs.

"Hi," I smiled, waving. "Hey," she also smiled.

Austin reached for the speaker and tossed it to her in annoyance. "Thanks," she said, going back upstairs.

"Gosh," he sighed, immediately bringing our lips together again.

I smiled and softly separated our lips. "So we're not doing homework, right?" I asked.

He laughed, before joining our lips again.

After a while, we decided it was time to leave. As we arrived at my house, I softly kissed his lips once more.

"I love you," I said. "I love you, too."