89

Jessica ~ 2 days later, after school

Once I got home from school, I dropped my things in my room and collapsed onto my bed. I didn't want to bother with anyone, or anything.

Nite ran into my room, him being the only thing to cheer me up today. "Hi baby," I softly said, pulling him next to me.

I tilted my head up as he started licking my face. After a few seconds, when he calmed down, he settled beside me, with his head on his paws.

Laying on my side, I did and said nothing, simply stroking his soft fur.

"Jess? Did you take out Nite?" I heard Noah yell downstairs. "I'll do it later!" I sighed, not even sure if he could hear me.

"Are you alright?" Noah suddenly appeared by my doorway. "Yeah," I lied, nodding.

"You're lying," he said. "Noah," I complained. "Dad's gonna come home," he looked down, silencing me immediately.

"How are you so sure?" I mumbled, after seconds. Noah paused, softly shrugging. "Cause he's Dad. No matter what.. he wouldn't leave us like that," he said.

I took a couple seconds to process what he said. Still avoiding eye contact with him, I continued petting Nite.

"It's been two days," I said. "He'll be back," Noah softly said.

I wasn't sure if I should believe him or not, so I chose not to acknowledge what he said. I heard and understood it, but the bigger part of me chose to ignore what could happen.

I just didn't wanna talk about it at all.

Noah blew air out of his mouth, catching my attention again. "Are you hungry?" He asked. "A little," I nodded. "I'll go pick something up. Are you gonna be okay?" He asked.

I nodded again. "Yeah," I simply said.

He stood there for another second, before pushing himself off the wall, and walking out.

I stayed gently petting Nite. Before I knew it, I was out.

By the time I woke up, the sun was setting. I grabbed my phone, noticing that I slept for an hour. 

When I heard more voices than usual downstairs, I got up curiously. Even Nite was gone.

I stopped in front of my mirror quickly and fixed my hair, before going downstairs.

"She's awake!"

Looking forward, Kayla smiled as she shouted the words. "Hey," I smiled, confused. Kayla, Kyle and Austin were sitting around, with Nite.

"Noah told us to come over," Kayla softly said, hugging me. "Oh," I nodded, sitting with them.

"What should we do?" I asked. "We thought we could go to the movies," Kyle shrugged. "When?" I yawned, still tired. "We were about to wake you up if you hadn't, cause it starts in half an hour," Austin smiled at me.

"Half an hour?" I asked, my eyes widening. "Oh God," Kyle and Austin synced. "I told you," Kayla told them.

"You should've woken me up," I said, before dragging Kayla upstairs.

"How long have you guys been here?" I asked. "Not long, maybe twenty minutes," she said. "Oh, I thought I had you guys waiting for a long time," I said, pushing my hair back as I started doing my makeup.

"Nah, you're fine," she shook her head. I started thinking about the last time Kayla and I hung out.

Well.. that was quite the day.

"Can I ask you something?" I asked, my voice quiet. "Yeah," she nodded. "I don't want you to get mad. You don't have to answer," I warned.

"Yes, I'm still talking to Sophia," she said, as if she read my mind. I smiled, looking at her reflection in the mirror. "How'd you know?" I asked. "What else could make me upset?" She laughed. "You're right," I shrugged.

After a few minutes, I finally finished my makeup. "Jess! Hurry up!" I heard Austin yell. "I'm almost done!" I shouted back.

I was in a bad mood earlier. I really was. But when I'm with these three, it takes no effort to change that. I was so thankful for them.

I spent the next few minutes picking out another outfit with Kayla's help, before finally being done.

"Finally," Kyle complained. I smiled, flipping him off, resulting in his laughter.

"Shotgun," Kayla immediately called. "Damn it," Austin sighed, before grasping my hand. 

I laughed, as we made our way to Kyle's car.

"What movie are we watching?" I asked, as Kyle started driving. "The Nun," Kayla said.

"No," I whined, leaning back in my seat. "We already got the tickets," Kyle laughed.

All three of them knew I hated scary movies. The experience always paid off, but never while it was happening.

"Babe," I complained. "You'll be fine," he laughed. "Before or after I die?" I dramatically asked.

"Bitch, be quiet," Kayla laughed from the front. "I hate all of you," I smiled, rolling my eyes.

"Here," Kyle laughed, pulling something out of his pocket, and handing it to the backseat.

Since it was dark, I couldn't see what it was properly. But, once I grabbed it, I didn't have to see it to know what it was. It was his weed pen.

The light off of Austin's phone shone against it, making him look at me. I didn't even know what to do. I knew not to, but I wanted to. We were doing so good with stopping that, I didn't realize how much I wanted to do it.

"Um- I'm.. I'm good," I said. I looked at Austin, and he shook his head, too. "Here," I gave it back to Kyle.

After a few minutes, we arrived at the theater. Getting snacks and drinks, we made our way to the theater.

Kyle sat at the end, then it was Kayla, me and Austin.

I was fine, but once the movie started, my hands instantly grew sweaty, and I could feel my heart speed up.

"Calm down," Austin whispered, softly laughing. "I am," I defended.

Sensing that a jump scare was coming up, I covered my face, leaving an inch of space between my fingers to see.

Austin grabbed my hands, trying to pry them away. "Babe, you have to watch it," he quietly laughed. "I can see," I defended, but he still kept trying to pull my hands away.

"No, no, no, babe please, I'm gonna freak the fuck out," I quickly whispered, hearing his laughter continue as he let go.

I slightly jumped, gasping once the scare finally happened. "Oh my gosh," I said, decided whether or not to move my hands. "It's not even that scary," Austin smiled. "It is," I argued.

One the movie ended, we walked out with smiles. Well, all but me.

"Jess is mad," Kyle teased. I put my lips into a line, shaking my head. "Scaredy-cat cat, scaredy cat," Kayla immaturely jumped to my side.

"Shut up," I laughed.

"Oo, let's go to the arcade!" I pointed, smiling. "Race you?" Kayla asked. "You'll lose," I shrugged.

Just like that, we both took off in opposite directions to the games.

We blew off another half hour doing that, and while all the events were fun, I couldn't help the one thought that stayed lingering in the back of my mind.

When was Dad coming home?

A/N: I owed y'all an update sorry for the wait :)