seventy nine

Jessica

"Hey, would you be interested in opening the assembly with Austin and me in a few days? It's just a quick-" "I'm sorry, I cant. I have stage fright," I was cut off.

"Oh, okay. That's fine," I weakly smiled.

She was probably the twelfth person to turn down my offer. Literally every person I asked wasn't giving in. Not a single one.

"Did you get anyone?" I approached Austin, leaning my back against the wall. He shook his head. "Most of the guys are being assholes," he said.

"Why?" I asked. He sighed and looked around, before whispering. "Kayla," he said.

I looked at the ground. Kayla really was getting shit in school and at home. Until Austin said that, I didn't even know people were using that against her.

"What are we gonna do?" I sighed. "We'll find people, don't worry," he assured me, just as the bell rang. "I'll see you later," he softly said, before walking in the direction of his class.

I rolled my eyes at the responses we were getting, before trudging myself to class.

When I walked into class, I immediately asked the first few people I could speak to, which resulted in lots of I wont be there, I can't dance, I have stage freight, and more excuses.

All my classes until lunch consisted of the same thing, when I finally found a group of people that seemed like they would be in for it. Knowing the bell was about to ring, I went for it.

"Hey, would you guys be interested in performing a dance for the assembly?" I asked. Tyler, one of the guys, looked around the group that nodded their heads.

"Yeah, wed be down," he said. "Please, it's a really quick ro-" I cut myself off, realizing they agreed. "Oh, okay. Thank you!" I smiled, just in time for the bell to ring.

"Um.. meet me in the auditorium after school?" I suggested. "Sure," he nodded.

I smiled in victory all the way to my locker. Now, we only needed.. probably two or three more people.

Once I finished up at my locker, I went to Austin's.

"Babe, were you able to find anyone?" I asked. He shook his head. "Jack said he'll think about it. I doubt he's in for it, though," he remarked.

I sighed. "I got a few people, Tyler and his mini squad," I said. "How many people do we need?" Austin asked. "Not a lot. Two more people at least, I guess," I shrugged.

Austin's face suddenly flooded with realization. "What?" I asked. "We can ask during lunch.. use the microphone," he said.

"Um.." I hesitantly spoke, but he already went off. Following behind him, we got to the already crowded lunchroom.

By the time I caught up to him, he was talking to the teacher that stood by the microphone, asking for permission.

"You can do it," I heard Austin say. Nodding his head, the teacher stood on the riser.

"He's doing it for us," Austin quickly said.

"Hello, attention everybody for a quick announcement," his loud voice boomed through the speakers. The chatter quickly quieted down and heads turned to our direction.

"These two juniors here, Austin and Jessica would like to know if there's anybody willing to participate in a dance with them for a quick performance. If anyone is interested, see them before and after classes," he announced, proceeding to shut off the microphone.

The lunchroom slowly started to fill with chatter again, before a loud voice from a student sounded.

"That's pretty gay!" He said.

Austin obviously caught sight of the person, but I didn't. The second the statement was finished, Austin lunged forward with anger, but I grabbed his arm and pulled him as hard as I could.

"Don't bother," I whispered. The group that I, now had noticed, looked among each other with laughter spreading through them. Shaking his head, Austin turned away.

As we neared our table and the lunch line, I spotted Kayla at our table again.

"Do you think you can convince her to stay, this time?" I asked Austin. He was confused, but once he looked over at the table, he knew what I was talking about.

"I can try," he said, unsure. "Please," I nodded, as we parted. I went to the line while he walked to the table, and immediately started talking with them.

Looking away, I proceeded to grab lunch and get back to the table, just in time for Austin to grab some, too.

It started off quiet, and obviously awkward. Kayla was picking at her salad and I was taking small bites. Kyle was only getting hit with the awkwardness, too.

"Would either of you wanna be part of the dance?" I finally asked. "You know damn well I don't dance," Kyle let out a soft laugh, making me smile. From the corner of my eye, I saw Kayla crack a smile, too.

"I don't think I'm going to it," she said. "I'm still.. in trouble," she said.

Her eyes hadn't once met mine. They stayed glued to her tray until I looked away.

Once Austin came back, the silence only started again.

"Did I miss anything?" He asked, taking a bite of the sandwich he got. Kyle shook his head, but Kayla and I stayed quiet.

After about a minute of silent tension, Kyle was fed up, and I didn't see it coming.

"Are you guys for real?" He sighed, dropping his hand against the table. All of us lifted our heads to look at him.

"Dude- bro," he looked at Austin. "Stay with me on this, how fucking annoying has their argument been?" He asked. "Um.." Austin glanced between us.

"Guys, come on. I don't know the whole story but for real, you guys are best friends," he sighed, running a hand through his hair.

"He's got a point," Austin nodded. "Plus it makes me feel like shit because I was the one who brought up the party," he added.

My head immediately jerked towards Austin, who looked at Kyle oddly. "You told her?" He asked. "You didn't know?" Kyle asked.

"Oh my God," I face palmed. "Bro, you know she's going through-"

"How was I supposed to know what would happen-"

"Guys sto-"

"How did you even find out about a party that-"

"Dude," Austin cut all of us off. "Bro, I didn't think it would turn out the way it did," Kyle said. "Jess why didn't you tell me?" Austin turned to me.

"I didn't think I needed to," I defended. "Kayla, did you kn-" "Can all of you please, stop," Kayla sighed, shutting all of us up.

"Jess asked all of us, to start off," she held a finger up. "But before she could explain what the plan was, we had excuses," she continued.

"I suggested it to Jess, I didn't-" "Don't blame it on her," Kayla cut him off.

"Kayla, you knew nobody there, so why would you even-"

"Because I told her to go," I cut off Austin. "Don't blame her," Kayla and I synced.

We exchanged an awkward glance, and the table grew silent.

The four of us looked back at our lunches, awkwardly picking at it.

Finally, Kayla spoke up. "So.. what exactly is your routine gonna be?"