Chapter Thirty Five: Disclosure And Consolation

'And in the end, we were all just humans..drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness' - Scott Fitzgerald.

A knock on the door interrupted what he was doing. Who could that be? He wondered as he shuffled his files. He heard the knock once again.

He opened up and was rather astonished. "Hanan?"

She gave him a bright smile. "Thought you wouldn't open up."

"Of course not. So, to what do we owe this visit of yours?"

"And, won't i be invited in?"

"Right!" Hussein moved away, allowing her in.

"What of Aneesah?"

"In her room."

Just as she heard a loud screech, "Aunt Hanan!!"

"Sweetie. How are you?"

"Fine! And your health?"

She smiled heartily. "I'm perfectly fine."

"Nice then. What about the kids?" She asked with a glint in her eyes.

"They are fine. Don't worry, I will bring them over one weekend."

She squealed, "Yay!" And then added, "I'm not quite done with my drawing."

"You draw?"

She nodded vigorously, "Yeah. And I will draw you one day."

"We shall see." Hanan chuckled as she ran back in.

He heaved a heavy sigh. "This visit is rather.. Overwhelming?"

"I know really. I came to check up on a friend."

"And hope it won't end with a furious bang on my door? And that deadly glare!"

She laughed slightly. "Nah. It won't. He travelled already."

He rubbed his face wearily, "Now that's a lil bit reassuring." She grinned. "So what do you care for? Coffee or soft drink?"

"I'd go for the latter."

"Okay. I'll be right back." Hanan took that as cue and glanced round the cozy house. It was a 3 bedroom apartment. Comfy and cool. She felt relaxed as her eyes wandered about and fell on a photograph. An old photo. She picked it up and stared.

It was Hussein and a lady. A very pretty one. From her eye colour, she needn't be told that was his late wife, Aneesah's mom. As if on cue, "That's my late wife."

"I figured."

"Here." Hussein handed her the chilled drink.

After some while of silence, he finally spoke up. "She was a very pretty lady." He started and Hanan kept mute as she gently sipped her drink.

"I loved her a lot. I still do. I liked her the first day I set my eyes on her. She was so pretty." Hanan didn't fail to notice something odd.

"You guys were not in love?"

He took a long pause and she felt he was never going to answer. "It was complicated."

"Oh." Not wanting to pry and at the same time curious to know.

He ran a hand through his hair and clenched his jaw. "She loved someone else." Hanan gasped.

"What?"

He shut his eyes tightly.  "You heard it right."

"B-but. I-i mean I'm sorry for prying, but isn't that -"