Chapter Twenty Three:Memories And Unexpectations

'Never be a prisoner of your past, It was just a lesson not a life sentence'

"Nice to see you again, han!"

"Granny?"

"Yes love" she looked so stressed out and spent.

She turned to Balqees. "Can you give us some moment please?"

She nodded and left them but gave Hanan a curious glance and she gave her a reassuring smile. Mariam moved closer to Hanan, a depressed look on her face. "I Got your letter."

"And it took you almost a week to?"

"Dear, I understand how you feel. My grandson is-"

"And where is he now?"

She sighed tiredly and mumbled "Work."

Hanan shut her eyes tightly. And anger surfaced in her. Clearly, he wasn't affected. His demeanor earlier, clearly of someone who has composed all he has to say to the media.

"He sent his sincere apologies" she has had enough! When will he ever learn? Taking work as his priority. How many times had she spoken out regarding it!?

"You making excuses for him!" she tried not to let her anger show in her words.

Mariam gave a tire sigh "But he looked apologetic"

When will he ever learn to face his fears Instead of being a coward and using work to hide away, running away from it? When will he ever fight his inner self and stand up for himself!?

She's tired of making up excuses for him. She's fed up of reasoning with him when he's clearly being irrational, Tired of cooking up excuses to justify his attitude and Worn out of understanding him when he doesn't want to be understood. He wouldn't even let her in. Maybe her decision was right. That's the best for them.

But the Hanan she knows isn't the type that gives up easily on people. That's just it. Humans have limit! She isn't the type that would leave easily.
She's tired of making people see her as an obligation and not a necessity.

All her whole life she's been trying to prove herself worthy. Worthy of people! Worthy of being loved. But no, they never even gave her the slightest chance. She's suffered enough. Tormented enough!

"Please come back home with me. The house hasn't been the same without you as much as he hates to admit it. He misses you. I see it in his exhausted eyes."

"Granny, I-"

"Your letter. I read it every day hoping it's all a dream Part of my hallucination. Never hoped it's true. So I stayed back hoping you'd show up soon. Hoping it's all a dream. Everything in it was false."

She rubbed her face wearily. "But it wasn't. I realized too late. That you meant what you said. Even Faaiz, he was worried."

Really? She saw the way he looked on the screen. Has he been taking his sleeping pills again? She wanted to ask her, but doesn't know if she's aware of his condition. "You saw the news?"

"Yeah. I did"

"Dear, I know I can't convince you to come back with me. But what you are asking for is too much. Think about it well. I know my grandson is something else, but at least try to reason with him. I beg of you"

She shut her eyes tightly and swallowed the lump in her throat "He's not even here now granny. He should be the one saying this and not you. Can't you see?"

Mariam rubbed her eyes wearily her hands quivering slightly. "Have you been taking your drugs?"

She took a while before answering "Yeah." avoiding eye contact.

She took her hands in hers. "I'm sorry if I've put you In a difficult situation. Pls try to understand me. I need time to think things through"

Mariam nodded. "Take your time dear."

She sent her a gratifying smile. "How have you been?"

Mariam sat back comfortably "Alhamdulillah Even though they've been some few lapses back at home."

"Lapses?" Hanan knew better than anyone how manipulative Mariam can be when she wants to. She doesn't want to fall for her trap.

"Yeah. The house has been unusually silent everyone minding their businesses No one to nag at me to take my drugs. And those delicious meals a special someone makes" she added with a wink.

"Oh granny..." And she hugged her tight.

Balqees came back in and smiled at the sight. "Am I missing out on something?"

"Of course not!" Mariam exclaimed extending her hands and they all did a group hug. Hanan smiled contentedly.

"What do you care for?" Balqees inquired after a while.

She gave a small smile "I'm perfectly fine. The drink is okay" she gestured to the drink she had served her when she came in.

She nodded. Hanan took in her appearance. "You are going somewhere?"

"Yeah. Out. "She said putting on a stunning black abaya and a colorful scarf her black purse in hand.

"Till When?"

"I won't stay long"

"Okay mom" she pecked her cheeks and bid Mariam goodbye before leaving the house.

The duos had a lot of catch ups and laughed occasionally. She told her the day she went to the garden and saw a tail, she mistook it for a lizard only to get closer and realize it's a snake. And claiming it smiled up at her. Hanan shook her head at her. Does a snake smile really? She giggled.

"I have an appointment now. Can't afford to keep the doctor waiting"

"Okay granny"

And they headed outside.

"Bye granny!"

"Bye Han!" she escorted her out of the house where the guards stood outside. They both shared a knowing glance and both giggled.

Her face suddenly grew serious. "You can come back with me now." she persuaded.

She nodded. "Once he's realized his mistake."

"Trust me he has."

She smirked "We shall see"

They reluctantly parted ways and Hanan watched her get into the car as the guards gave a slight bow to her.
Mariam waved goodbye her face full of longing.

She sighed as she watched it leave till it got out of sight.

****************
Hanan was back at her usual spot where she gazed out of the window as she reminisces about her life. And all the years' memories came back. All those traumatized days.

If only they know how much she dreaded staring at the mirror. Dreaded staring at her scars! A lifetime one! Each one symbolizing its own story.. Some are yet to heal.

Always trying to be the good girl and
But no one even stopped to consider her, to strive for her. To let her know she's worth fighting for. She did well in school, brought home certificate and award Trying to make name for her to prove herself worthy. But what did she get in return? It was angrily shoved upon her face.

His words rang in her ears. 'This is all deceit! A woman's place is in the kitchen. All these are all facade, and you can never get anywhere in life with these! You'll always be a wretched, pathetic low life whose purpose in life is insignificant!' he spat and wanted to throw them away. 'You can never get a good job. Heck, a job with those! Even if you do, you'd be thrown out because you'll bring nothing but bad luck to them! It's your nature. It is who you are. You can't possibly deny that. It's a bitter truth whether you like it or not. So, throw those away, and I will find you a rich husband who would marry your pity ass. I'm feeling pity for him already' he asked.

'So do us all a favor and go to hell!'

'I'm looking for an envelope containing money ' he barked.

No one answered. He suddenly yanked hanan by her hair and drew her up. 'Who stole my money!?'

'Where did you keep it?'

'I kept it in my freaking room!'

'I took it' hanan replied which resulted into a hot slap.

'How dare you??! Do you even know the plans I have for the money!?' he pulled her closer and pressed her jaw really tight and it turned red instantly.

He raised his hands and was about to Hit her but Balqees quickly intervened. 'She isn't the one. I did.'

'Nope. I'm the one'

'Can you guys stop playing with my damn mind!!!' he retrieved his hand and angrily threw her to the floor her back hitting the table real hard in the process.

'I swear I'm the one. I took it to get some groceries for the kitchen. There isn't much left. I-I th-thought. '

'Thought what, foolish woman!?' he was enraged as he slapped her real hard.

'Dad!'

'Keep your stinking mouth shut!' he turned his attention back to the woman in his front 'so, you telling me you used my money to buy GROCERIES!??'

'I thought it was best I-'

He dragged her into the room by her hair. She shut her eyes in pain. Hanan tried getting up but she felt weak and exhausted. Balqees gave her a disapproving nod 'Don't!' she mouthed.

But Hanan didn't heed. She tried getting up and pulled her father's leg. Caught off guard, he almost wanted to fall. But when he realized the culprit, he removed his leg and stomped on her hands real hard. Hanan yelped out in pain. He then angrily threw her at the wall. She felt weak as she held her bleeding hands in her chest. Her mom's eyes filled with worry as she didn't feel concerned for what she's going to face but for her daughter's safety. She made a move to go 'we are not done here foolish woman. Get back here!'

And Hanan stared helplessly as he dragged her away and locked the door. Few seconds later, she heard yells and screams. Loud screech and Hanan shut her eyes as the tears spilled. She couldn't help it. She heard lashing and whip. Her mom's muffled sound trying her best not to scream out loud. She could hear her silent sob.

And never had she felt so useless and helpless in her whole life. Her mom is taking the blame for her. She had taken the money because she needed it to do an important project in school which is due. She had taken it and her mom has covered up for her yet again!

The sound and lashing did not cease. She heard it all. She cried and cried till her eyes were puffy from too much tears. Her mom is in there suffering because of her, and yet she couldn't even lift a finger to help her! It continued for she doesn't know how long, each Lash killing something in her.

She stood and banged at the closed door yelling and shouting at him to stop. But as usual, turned on deaf ears and continued with full force. She sat by the door and brought her leg up resting her face on her leg as she couldn't bear it any longer. She put her hands to her ear hoping to block out the sound, her mom's helpless sound and the feeling of guilt gnawing at her heart. It continued Until Hanan felt suffocated and she couldn't hear her voice again. He opened the door and left without a second glance she ran inside to see her mother in a pool of blood. She had passed out. She let out a whimper. Whom will she call for help?

Hanan left her room and went to the kitchen to get some water to calm her nerves. She is close to getting her panic attack. She sat on the stool and gulped it down. Her mind involuntarily wandered to another painful incident.

'Do quick I'm hungry' he yelled from across the room. Why is he so fond of yelling? She queried and rolled her eyes. She continued chopping the vegetables.

She didn't know for how long because the next thing she knew he was by the island in the kitchen. 'You know better than anyone than to test my patience'

Hanan looked around for her mother. Where is she? 'It'd be ready soon' she reassured and tried to pour it in the boiling water. 'Hell no! I want my food served now!'

'Will I now serve it raw? What part of its not ready do you not understand?'

'How dare you!?' The next thing he did was to carry the boiled hot water and poured it on her angrily. She shrieked and opened the tap instantly and poured it on her anguish skin. She shut her eyes tightly in pain as the water made contact with her skin and she shrank back.

'Good for you! Next time you dare talking back or not heeding to me.. I will shove your head inside Instead. Rubbish!' and he stomped off.

Hanan was in agony. Good thing she was putting on a very thick sweatshirt. The water didn't really penetrate through her arms. It had poured on her thighs. As if on cue, her mom dashed in.

'Oh my!' she gasped. 'I saw the look on his face and I knew instantly something was wrong.'

'Where were you? 'She croaked out feeling too tired. The place stings. A lot.

She pointed to the bag she had dropped on the floor. 'Quickly went to get those' she nodded slightly still in so much pain. 'Let me get the first aid before it gets too worse'

She pulled up her dress and stared at her thighs. The mark has faded all Thanks to the antibiotics and balm their secret nurse had prescribed. Her dad isn't aware of the fact they have a nurse that treats them in exchange for nothing in return. How sweet of her Never asking questions, just silently understanding them. When her mom had fainted, she had run to call upon her and she had come! Few days before her marriage proposal she learnt the kind woman was dead! She felt so depressed. She couldn't even wait for her to repay her unrepayable favor!

But she did what she thought she needed best! She had prayed for her, for her dead soul. Every time she prays, she never forgets her in her prayers.

She glanced at the time; her mom said she'd be back early. What's taking her time?

'Dad please!'

'No!! You've defied me yet again. You must pay the price!'

'I promise I won't do that again.'

'You will!'

'I promise!'

'Shut your trap!!' he yelled as he brought the knife closer. Hanan cried out her face sweaty and swollen, her hair sticking all over her face, her whole face red from too much hitting. Hitting her with his metal belt was not enough. He wanted to use a knife!

She pleaded earnestly with him but he wouldn't listen. 'Another word and I would slit your throat'

She swallowed Hard, Lump forming in her throat. She knows better than to provoke him in this instance. The next thing she knew, he slit her arm and fresh blood gushed out. 'Dad please' she pleaded with tears in her eyes.

But he's a sadist. He wasn't even moved he continued the assault all because she had tried contacting 911 for an emergency. She wanted to report him, but he had caught her. He was really furious. She had begged and pleaded. All fell into deaf ears.

He slashed her body anyhow with the knife and blood oozing out from each cut. He continued, clearly enjoying it. Laughing as each blood dropped to the floor. He was about stabbing her when Balqees rushed in with some few neighbors who stopped him in time.

Hanan fell to the ground feeling numb and extremely terrified. His laughter reverberated in her ears as she could still picture his satisfied face in her head. Heaven knows what he would've done had it been her mom didn't come in time. It took her weeks to get over it.

The doctor had said she lost so much blood in the process. Good thing they brought her on time else it would have been a different story entirely.

The look of pity they threw her at the hospital. The devastating and concern look her mom gave her every now and then, the aura in which her dad move about in the house as if nothing actually happened.

She didn't realize she is actually crying. She needed to get away from this house and it must be soon. Else she would go insane.

Everything replaying in her mind vividly as if it was all yesterday. Her mom wasn't back yet. She dropped the mug, the water she tried drinking to help her calm down which isn't doing justice. She went to her room and picked her scarf and took the keys.

She doesn't even know where she's heading to. Anywhere. Just somewhere she wouldn't lose her mind. Somewhere she could clear her head. She wrapped her scarf and headed towards the old wooden door.

She stepped outside and took in the fresh air, closing her eyes and savoring the moment. She opened it again and closed it back instantly.
She's probably dreaming.

There stood before her some meters away was Faaiz leaning against the car door. Her heart skipped a beat His tall frame and handsome feature, His cool masculinity. He was wearing a sky blue shirt with tie with the sleeve rolled up showcasing his pretty hand, and grey pant, his suit in hand, His stubble still unshaven. Oh God! He still looked gorgeous despite His hair not gelled, despite the dark circles and stressed look he still managed to look breathtaking.

She all of a sudden felt angry. How come he looked so good without making any effort! She then realized she is mad. Why was she thinking that way? She was still having inner debates with herself when Faaiz covered the distance between them in long strides.

Hanan stood still anticipating what would happen next. He got closer and she got to see his features really closely.

He engulfed her into a tight hug. Hanan stood shocked didn't know how to react to that. "Don't pull away pls." he pleaded and she stood still and reluctantly returned the hug.

After some agonizing slow minutes he pulled away. "I miss you"

He whispered which made her choke on her spit. "You are looking at me like I'm some sort of an alien."

She didn't reply. "Cat got your tongue?"

She shook her head. He sighed "At least invite me in. Before they start looking at us like some weirdo" he referred to the neighborhood, some set of people already gawking at them.

"Right!" she unlocked the door and he stepped in.

She offered him a seat and wanted to go to the kitchen and get him something to drink but he held back her hand. "Don't go pls."

Okay. So now he's acting weird. This is not her usual old Faaiz.

She nodded and sat opposite him. "So what brought you here?" She finally spoke out cutting straight to the point.

He loosened the tie and stare right at her. "I came here to apologize"

She raised her eyebrows "Oh really?"

"Please don't make it harder for me than it already is." he quickly added. "And no, granny didn't send me here" As if he could read her mind.

He ran a hand through his hair. "I'm sorry." her eyes widened slightly. One thing she knew, men like him rarely says sorry. But when they do, they mean it. But does he really mean it?

"Hmm"

He sighed. "I put aside my ego and pride. Don't turn me down"

"Because you are used to people not saying No to you?" she asked.

He rubbed his face wearily. "Don't make this harder than it seem"

She shrugged. "Sorry for what precisely?"

He paused for a while. "Everything, the way I've been behaving towards you and the party incident" her heart skipped two beats.

"Are you for real?"

He stood up and sat besides her taking her hands in his. It felt good His hand large and warm taking her soft small one. He rubbed it reassuringly. His eyes depicting different emotions and he made it show deliberately Instead of concealing them. "I am."

She sat still for a while. If he's playing mind games with her he's sure winning. "Okay..." she whispered.

"Is that a Yes?" She shut her eyes as he gently unfolded her scarf and it dropped on the floor.

She didn't notice any movement as she opened her eyes. He looked awestruck. She had left her hair unpacked as she was in a hurry to leave the house. The hellhole. And it dropped down over her shoulders as he removed the scarf.

"Cat got your tongue?" Now it was her turn to smirk.

He seemed to break out of his reverie. And realized she actually needed a response. He cleared his throat. "I-"

"You..?"

"Can I?" She nodded yes as he ran a hand through her silky hair. Mariam had reacted this way too. She silently chuckled.

"What's amusing you?"

"Nothing"

"You know what?"

"What?"

"I meant what I said on screen earlier" when she still gave him a puzzled look, he added "You are really beautiful." her breath hitched.

What happened to her Faaiz?!

"Faaiz?"

"Yes love"

It's official. He's gone nuts!

"Are you alright?"

He gave her an amused look. "I'm perfectly okay!"

She reached forward and touched his forehead scrutinizing his face really well. "What's wrong?"

"Are you sure you didn't suffer from any head injury or a life threatening accident on your way here?"

"Ouch! Now I'm hurt!" he feigned hurt.

"You are acting weird!"

"Weird? When I'm with my wife?"And he drew her closer to himself and she fell on top of him, he, lying down in the process. Her hair sprawled over her face in the process.

She sucked in a sharp breath. He gathered some strand of hair and tucked it behind her ear. His gaze on her so intense she had to look away.

Someone cleared their throat and Hanan suddenly got up. It was her mom. "Hope I'm not intruding here?"

Hanan blushed and looked away, her mom clearly getting the wrong picture. "He's just about leaving"

"Hell no! I just arrived ma'am"

"And you couldn't get over yourselves" she winked

"Mom!" she held her hand up in surrender Laughter dancing in her eyes.

"Good thing then because I have something for you!"

He rubbed his palms together in anticipation. "Nice!"

He winked at Hanan and she groaned. "In a bit!" And she hurried into the kitchen.

"Show me your room" he whispered into her ear making her hot.

She felt tongue tied. She silently made her way towards her room with him trudging behind. She held her breath as she opened the door and stood by the doorway allowing him into her prison-haven.

"Girlish enough." he remarked. As he took in the room not even half the size of their store room. He shook off the thought. Of course not everyone is as privileged as he is! Her small bed which obviously is big for her situated at one side of her room her reading table at one side. Everything looked small but neat. He admired how everything is neatly arranged at the appropriate places. He dropped his suit on the small bed and went to the window side where he saw a small farm and people working on it. He returned his gaze back to her. "Aren't you going back?"

He shrugged and rested his perfect feature on the wall arms crossed. "Nah."

"And the reason being..?" she asked.

"You haven't given me a response yet. You've not forgiven me."

"And how on earth would you know that?!"

He studied her for a while without breaking their gaze. "You are pulling back."

"What?"

"You are resisting your urge for me!"

She cocked her eyebrow. His ego is a huge one. And she's going to work on that. She thought to herself.

He moved closer to her. "Don't resist what you feel for me baby. Let it all out. I'm irresistible anyways" he winked.

She bit back laughter. "Cocky much?"

"I learnt from the best." she couldn't help it. She threw her head back and laughed.

It sounds so good. When last had she? That alone from her husband!!
"You know." he started His intense gaze still on her. "How come you never open your hair in my presence before? I mean I deserve to. Aren't I? I'm your husband. You know?"

She sighed. "I-I honestly don't know Maybe probably because I didn't feel the need to. And moreover -" she chose her next word carefully "-you not usually around. So."

He nodded slowly. Apologetic look on his face again. "Okay. I see. And I'm really sorry once again."

She nodded and broke their gaze clearly uncomfortable. This new side of him is rather Overwhelming! She doesn't even know what to say to respond to his statement.
"And oh, henceforth don't cover your hair around me anymore. Please."

Hanan didn't fail to notice the fact he's been using the word please more often Rather than his usual demanding self. She gave him a small smile "Okay!"

And he gave her an appreciative look. "Granny dropped by today, you know"

His expression hardened. "Really?"

She gave him a puzzled look "You didn't know?"

"Yeah. I mean of course not."

"Okay..." she drawled.

"Why did she?"

She shrugged "Nothing special actually. She just came by to say hi"

He nodded his expression hidden.
"Faaiz?" his name still somehow weird in her mouth.

"Yes sweet"

"You need an answer right?"

"Yeah."

"And if I don't give you one?"

"Then I'm not leaving this place till you do"

Wait, what?

"You've got to be kidding!"

"Oh, But sweetheart I'm actually damn serious about it"

"Are you okay!?"

"Absolutely!" And he fell on the bed dragging Hanan down with him in the process.

"Faaiz!" she exclaimed as she landed on him with a thud.

"Guess you've started developing this obsession for my name. Just like the owner of the name"

"Your ego is bigger than the size of this room" she hit his chest.

"Tell me about it" amusement dancing in his eyes again.

She rolled her eyes as she fell back and lied back on the bed beside him as they both gazed at her girlish ceiling. The stickers she had pasted all over there. He draped his hand over her stomach and it dropped by her side.

"What about work?" clearly, he doesn't joke with work!!

"In case you don't know. I am the owner of the company. The CEO"

She rolled her eyes. "Oh really?"

"And just so you know, being the CEO I have every right to -"

She interjected, "Okay okay. I get. I actually know that. Dhur!"

"Yeah yeah."

They stayed that way for a while and he, running his hand through her hair. Hanan shut her eyes savoring the moment.

"Can you do me a favor?" She voiced out.

"What?"

"Can you smile for me?"

Hanan heard a sharp intake of breath. His face suddenly turned grim and devoid of emotion. "I-" he removed his hand and sat up.

"Please," she pouted.

He sighed then raised his eyebrow in challenge. "Make me."

She then made different jokes but none caught his attention. She even made one about how she and her mom pulled a prank on her dad. Even the side of his lips didn't even curl to smile. She huffed an annoyed breath.
"Why are you so bitter!?"

She stood away and stomped her feet on the ground. "You are acting so childish." He remarked.

She ran her hand through her hair and heaved a frustrated sigh. "None of my jokes are cracking you up!"

"That's because they are lame!" He paused for a while, "How about you try something different?"

"Like?"

"Don't know. Anything."

She racked her brain but doesn't seem to come up with anything. Her brain went blank.

Frustrated, she exclaimed "Okay I give up! Mr. poker face!" She said, irritated. Hanan was obviously frustrated.

And that seemed to do the trick. The mannerism in which she said it amused him.

And he smiled.