Chapter Twenty Two:Challenge And Dispute

'Perhaps we should love ourselves so fiercely, that when others see us they know exactly how it should be done.'

"Good morning honey!"

Hanan smiled. "Good morning to you too!"

Balqees left the doorway and made her way into the room. She gave her daughter a knowing smile. "Hope you had a splendid night?"

"I sure did."

"Breakfast will be ready soon."

"You could have just called me and I'd have done that instead of stressing yourself."

"My dear, it's not stress. I've actually missed you a lot! Glad to have you back." She squeezed her hand tenderly and gave her a loving smile and she felt a pang in her chest."Let me go and check before it gets burnt." Balqees kissed her on the cheeks while she left the room.

Hanan couldn't help but notice how fast she's aging, with the wrinkles all over her face which made her look way older than her age. With sad look in her eyes, she heaved a long sigh.

It's been 5 days already. Five days of hell. Five days of longing. Five days since she left her husband's home.

Hanan glanced at her room and all those memories gushed back, with the familiar stroke on the wall, the side of her lips Curled into a slight smile. At least, the theme had been the one she liked which is baby pink.

Her bed situated at one side of room close to the window. Where she always stares at the night sky and get lost in her own fantasy world. Where she finds sanctuary, an escape from the life she has. That's the only way to escape reality.

The curtain draped aside paving way for sun light into the room the ray of sun light adding effects to the room.

Her room, her worst nightmare and her biggest dream come true, her loss of mind and also her rope of sanity, a prison, which at the same time was her paradise.

She glanced at the wall as she could still see those marks she left with her fingernails. How many times she had dug her nails scratching at the wall just to vent out Frustration, How she had marked the paintings with her nails and toes, scratching the wall, yanking at her hair all to get rid of the pain
At the same time, if she ever wants to get rid of the pain, she'd both gaze out of the window and get lost in her mesmerizing world or she'd always pray.

Pray to her Lord. It brought momentarily solace.

She stared at the spot on the ground she does crawl in ball in darkness trying to take it all away. How she'd yank at her hair and would almost rip it off its scull just to keep the voices at bay trying not to go insane, the horrified frightened girl.

That's just it; she'd never be good enough for anyone. She bit back tears.

All those years of silent suffering, those sleepless nights, and those times she almost lost her sanity! She thought she wanted to go mad then.

The torture was too much! And sadly, there was nobody to call on to
Oh, But her mom tried! How hard that woman strived for her. She was almost there for her. Almost.
But those nights when. She Shut her eyes and tried to block out those heart wrenching images. All the words he spat out to her.
Her dad!

She felt suffocated. Those drunken nights he'd come into her room and possibly mistook her for her mom. She never told anyone. Not even her mom.

And when the Alcohol drowned on him, he won't even remember a thing. And that pisses her off a lot. And she doesn't even have the liver to bring it up.

So, silently and helplessly, she endured and took in all the pain. At a very young age, she had learnt how to be strong alone. How much she dreaded nights. But at the same time love it. It brought her distress and at same time solace.

She then gave a humorless laughter. If she doesn't take it all by herself who else would? Was it her class mates? Course mates? Who always thinks she doesn't fit in into their circle? Oh, But how much she was taunted. It got to the stage she could not fight for herself.

All her life, she has been shunned and made jest of. She never knew how broken she was until she realized she couldn't even stand up for herself. This phobia! Fear of being shunned. Fear of being ridiculed. Fear of never being good enough. Fear of being bullied. Fear of losing her damn mind! They point at her scars and laugh. You're so ugly and pathetic, they said.

No one bothered to even make Friends with her. Pathetic bitch, Ugly Idiot was their usual slang to her. Pointing fingers at her and making her an object of mockery. The torture continued till she finished high school. She Thought College would be better, but it only grew worse. Skinny slut, Whore was the names she was tagged with. They even circulated news about her sleeping around with boys. There was a rumor which circulated that it was the wife of a man whom she slept with that gave her the scars whenever they referred to one of her scars.

She told her mom she doesn't want to go to school again. She was fed up, with life in general. She needed a break or she'd go insane. That night her mom tried confronting her dad but it turned out drastic as usual, which caused more harm than good. Her mom ended up with a fractured arm and Hanan with another lifetime scar. The arm had taken long to heal. He claimed she has been nothing but a bad luck and she came into their lives and turned it into a living hell.

Which made Hanan wondered if they've ever been happy or if he has tasted wealth before because he clearly doesn't seem like it.

She sighed and wiped away her tears. She smiled as she remembered the old woman. Mariam is the only sweet thing that has happened to her aside her mom. She had stood up for her and gave her many reasons to smile. And then Faaiz.

A sad smile appeared on her face. He probably uttered the statement out of frustration. Of course, who would want to be wife with a pathetic low life like her? His words didn't really sting. But at the same time it had! It didn't sting because deep down she knows what he has been saying is true. She's a bad luck, but isn't that what she has been hearing almost her whole life?

It had stung because she felt she deserved better. She needed someone to tell her she's actually worth it, that what she had been made to believe is wrong she deserved a chance at life, at love. That alone from her husband! Who's meant to make her life not that hard and pathetic? And make her believe that not all guys are the same. Okay, maybe Hussein? But Faaiz made it clear he's not to be trusted.

She packed her hair into a bun as she stopped thinking and stood up. As she made her way out she glanced at the room again. She heaved a long sigh; she's been doing that a lot lately, before finally leaving the room.

"So a call from them yet?" she choked on her food. She tried looking for excuses.

Balqees gave her a suspicious look. "I-I mean Yeah. They are all fine"

"Okay then well!" and they continued their meal in silence.

When Hanan had showed up at their doorstep Balqees had been astonished. She checked whether her husband was behind her but was rather disappointed.

Hanan had been prepared for this of course, and came up with an excuse of why she showed up at her parent's house, suit case in hand. She told her Faaiz has gone on a business trip and won't be back for some couple of days and Mariam has some urgent family business she needed to attend to and she can't be the only one at the mansion, So she decided to come home.

And for effects, she added she had missed her mom so much which made her heart melt instantly because she missed her daughter too. She then settled and Balqees asked when they would be back which made Hanan feel really uneasy.
They'd call. She had insisted.

She also didn't fail to notice the sad look on her daughter's face. She knows her too well. "Did you guys fight?" she had asked.

"Of course not!" she had replied too sharply for her liking which arouse suspicions in Balqees.

"Was he the one that dropped you?"

"No. The driver" she replied.

"Oh Okay. I thought as much since he didn't bother saying hi before he left" she had stated and Hanan looked away. How will she tell her she had boarded a bus home and that all was not well?

Balqees has tons of questions to ask but she let it slip. Her daughter looked tired and stressed out. So she didn't want to bother her. They still have few days to spend together, she shouldn't rush things.
Hanan had asked of her dad. She saw the devastated expression on her face. "I haven't seen him in a while" her mom replied.

And she dropped the subject because her dad's matter is a sensitive topic. She of all people understood that really well.

Now is the right time 'Mom', what of dad?" she asked again

She suddenly lost appetite. "Your dad hasn't been around like before. How ironic, that should make me feel better, but it doesn't! The last time he came home, he brought some cash home and packed some of his things."
Her breath hitched.

"Cash?" she asked.
"Yeah", in an envelope. I tried asking him where he got it from, because I know the gambling he does wouldn't have cost him that much of a fortune. But he didn't reply. I tried pushing which provoked him and he wanted to hit me, but didn't know what came over him because he didn't.

Hanan sighed and her theory was confirmed. It was the day he had come to the Hasnayn's villa.

"You haven't seen him since then?"

She nodded. "It seems he came home after that. But I wasn't around. I noticed the clothes in his wardrobe have surprisingly disappeared, the remnants are just few, and the meal I prepared before leaving was gone! No other person could have done that."

Hanan nodded silently.
After a while she said. "I don't even know again. I don't even know where to start from because he has broken me beyond measures."

She paused "I-I feel so worthless. I'm trying to really make myself worthy but the thing is just." she kept quiet.

Hanan looked up and saw the agony in her mother's eyes. Her heart constricted seeing the woman that wouldn't hesitate to give the world to her and could even sacrifice her life for her sad. She felt devastated and helpless because she couldn't even do anything to help her.

She actually understood.

She still loves the man that made her life a living hell. She's still in love with that monster she calls a father. She doesn't quite understand what he has done to still deserve her love. He isn't worth it!

"Mom"

She wiped her face and Hanan realized she's silently crying. She stood up and went closer to her offering her a comforting hug. She wished to make all her pains vanish but doesn't know how.

"It's going to be alright maybe not now, But later" she nodded in her chest. She hummed some rhymes. And this somewhat reminded her of old times.

After her dad abused them, and then finding comfort in them.

A loud bang caught their attention. "And isn't this a loving and cute scene we have here"

Hanan needn't turn to know who that is.

They then pulled apart. "A good morning to you too, Dad!" and she finally turned to face him.

"And if this isn't the silly daughter of mine"

She gave him a mocking smile. "I would like to take that as a compliment!"

"Of course you would, foolish fella"

Her hand curled into a fist. "So what brought you home?"

"I would love to ask you that Instead "she fired back.

"Oh I see you still the same quirky stupid girl you are"

She shrugged. His words don't really get to her anymore. "And I believe questions are meant to be answered."

"Not when it's a dumb one!"

Oh really?

"Really?"

He shrugged and made himself comfortable on the couch. He rested his legs on the wooden table and massaged his stiffened bone stretching out his stinking feet "The last time I checked someone was in her husband's house"

"The last time I checked, someone didn't even give a damn about someone. Didn't care about Someone's wellbeing"

Balqees stood silent as she watched the bickering going on between the duos. They've always been like that never gotten along.

Her daughter actually took his stubbornness and fierceness. She sighed tiredly. "This is my home and I believe I shouldn't have any reasons to show up any goddamn time I want!"

"Says the man who clearly doesn't manage the house. Who doesn't give a damn about who pays the rent? Or if the house rent is due!"

Now he has had enough.
"Hey pathetic nonsense! Enough of that bullshit! Utter another word and I swear you would regret it."

"Go on. Do your worse. Your threats doesn't bother me any longer"

Balqees intervened. "Enough of all this drama Hanan he's your dad, he deserves some respect!"

"He lost that many years ago"

Imran Abdul Muiz ran a hand through his short almost bald hair. He was getting frustrated. "You this " she cut him off.

"I'm a married woman now! You have no right whatsoever to hit me. I belong to another man now"

"And no matter what I have every right on you!"

"And why is that?" she crossed her arm across her chest.

Imran looked at her with disgust. She has always been a pain in the ass. She obviously got that trait from him always making things difficult for him unlike her mother, very submissive and obedient. The idiot has always made it hard for him, always questioning his authority. Going against him every chance she gets. Her mother is her only bait.

He does threaten her with her mom. Heaven knows how hard he's preventing himself from doing something drastic, How hard he's refraining himself from just cutting her tongue off and making that her pretty face disorganized.

But the stupid boy had threatened him the last time he saw him. He'd been terrified actually But he wouldn't want to admit he had felt that the cold look on his face when he held his hand. Heaven knows what he would have done if Hanan hadn't intervened. He made a quick mental note not to get on his wrong side.

The boy is sure intimidating. If not for the money, he'd have dealt with him. No one dared mess with Imran Abdul Muiz. He praised himself. And the allowances would reduce or better still be cut off for good. Of course he didn't tell them they had a marriage deal.

He has been receiving money from the Hasnayn's since the proposal. He has been living off it since then. Enjoying his life without giving a dime! All his Friends, gamblers too, have been respecting him ever since then. That's an accomplishment! He thought satisfactorily.

"You know what?"

Hanan shrugged.

"Good thing you are married. Good riddance! At least you've saved me the grace of seeing your despicable face every day. And I won't be reminded of how wretched you are and how you've always brought ill luck to me!"

Hanan sucked in a sharp breath. She reminded herself his words wouldn't get to her. He saw her expression and smiled contentedly. He has managed to get into her skin. He loved it when she's scared of him trembling, cowering back in fear and trepidation.

She kept mute. Not because she has nothing to say. But because he's the last thing she wants to deal with at the moment. So far, she has managed to maintain her sanity and stood her ground. She doesn't need her idiotic father to instill those fears in her again. She needn't be reminded of all the struggles and torments she had faced.

She knows her dad to be such a mood spoiler. He has such a negative vibes around him screaming to Hanan. Stay off! He has that power of rubbing a person their peace of mind. So she did what she thought well.

Keep quiet.

"Foolish girl, no comments?"

"Well reserved and preserved!"

"And it will surely rot there!" he shot back.

"For the love of God, can you guys just stay put?" Balqees uttered somewhat frustrated.

"Hey old cargo! The last time I checked, we didn't ask for your opinion. So do me a favor and keep your ugly mouth zipped!"

"Dad!!"

"Mum!" he replied rolling his eyes.

"We had a deal!"

"Yeah. And I never mentioned anything like not insulting her. At least I haven't Hit you guys since I've been back "he smirked and went to the dining situated at one corner of the living room."Oh holy mutiny! If this is not my favorite meal we have here." he remarked as he munched on the food. He closed his eyes savoring the delicious taste melting perfectly in his mouth.

"Holy cheese balls! This tastes so." He continued stuffing the food in his mouth like someone that has been deprived of food for days."Heavenly!" he completed as he still shut his eyes.

"This is the best I've had in ages!" he commented.

"For the love of God, can someone just tell this old man here not to talk while eating? You are just uttering nonsense! And there's this thing called table manners" she rolled her eyes.

"I haven't given you the right to talk back to me!" the food sputtering out of his mouth in the process.

Hanan giggled and stuck out her tongue. "You are sounding so childishhhh."

Imran struggled to swallow the food and tried talking at the same time which resulted to him choking. Hanan stood there and laughed at him. Balqees tried helping him gulp down water but he pushed her away. "Better accept her offer else you'll choke and die. Which trust me, it's what I've been dying for to happen." she stuck out her tongue at him and Balqees glared at her. She rolled her eyes.

Reluctantly, he agreed. After a while, he calmed down. "Foolish woman."

"She'd take that as a Thank you!"

He glared at her and angrily stood up. His short height and bald hair making him look like a gnome! She bit back a giggle. "I've had enough!"

Hanan gave him a blank look. "You guys are really getting on my nerves! If I should stay a moment more I might do something we might all regret" "We?"
He shut his eyes angrily. "Stupid girl stop putting words in my mouth" he yelled. His resolve finally worn out. His eyes turned red. "You know what; you guys can rot in hell for all I care about! I'm so done here!"

And he angrily left the house. "Where to?"

"None of your goddamn business!"

"Your wish then." Hanan shrugged.

"Nincompoop!!!" before he finally left the house anger radiating from him.

"Why do you have to do that?" her mom scolded.

"Mom!!!"

"He's your father and you ought to respect that!"

"An abusive dad!" she pointed out.

"Still, it gives you no excuse to disrespect him"

Hanan sighed "Really mom? After everything he has done, you can't possibly expect me to be cool with him! He even dashes me out for marriage when I'm completely against it!"

"But the marriage resulted into something good. Is it not?!"

If only you know! Maybe Mariam...?

"Mom... "

"Don't mom me!"

She doesn't any ounce of idea why her mom is this way. "You of all people should understand that..."

"We are not prolonging this matter. You are going to listen to me. Simple!"

"He even spoke badly to you!"

"End of discussion!" she stood up packed the plates and left.

Hanan sighed and ran a hand through her hair. Seriously?

Her eyes caught the magazine her dad had brought home earlier and have probably left it out of anger. She shook her head. Her dad and love for magazine. It keeps me updated, he'd claimed. She picked it up and the head line caught her eyes.

Mr. Poker face is going live at 11:30am. You can tune to the local channel. He has an announcement to make. She'd read. She glanced up at the grandfather clock on the wall ticking by.

11:25. the time says. She quickly scrabbled to her feet and went to the cable to switch on the TV. 'Ya Allah make it work' she silently prayed.
She couldn't recall the last time they had watched TV in their home!

She glanced at the clock again. 2 minutes more and her hand trembled. What does he have to say? What is he going to talk about? Different thoughts whirled through her mind. Good thing her dad came over and dropped the magazine. Oh God, she couldn't believe she would've missed it out!

All of a sudden, the TV came on and she sucked in a gratified breath Alhamdulillah She muttered. 11:30 on dot! She hurriedly switched to the local channel. Good thing her mom has angrily left the house.

She sat back and watched the news. "Good morning to the world a live broadcast by Jane Andrew. So, today we have our business tycoon here, Mr. Hasnayn. He's going to address some issues. Misunderstanding as he had claimed. Mr. Faaiz Lets hear what you have to say"

His face came on screen. Hanan's breath hitched. He looked so worn out and stressed, clearly from lack of sleep. His stubble has grown bushy as if it's been months since they've seen each other when it's just 5 days.

Those 5 days has been hell. He was wearing a chocolate suit and her favorite tie. His hair not gelled back this time around. But still, he managed to look breath taking. He cleared his throat.

And said "Good morning All and Sundry. The purpose of this is to clarify things. There has been a rumor going around and I want to make this clear. Whatever it is you guys have heard or has been made to believe is false."

He took a short pause and Hanan didn't fail to notice the way he seemed composed. "I'm sure you are watching this right now." he is referring to her! "I want to use this medium to say, Yes, I have a beautiful wife. Hanan Imran, Now, Hanan Hasnayn is my wife. And the rumor circulating that I said otherwise is false. Neglect that! And hope I've made myself clear and my point gotten. Any further rumor would be severely dealt with!"

"Hope I've cleared any questions and doubts crossing your minds"

"So there you have it, Mr. Hasnayn took time out of his busy schedules to clarify things out. How sweet of him. So now, our doubts have been cleared and we've heard it from him ourselves. Stay tuned for more. I remain Jane Andrew. Have a blessed day ah-" Hanan then shut the TV off.

She ran to her room and fished the phone out of the bottom of her briefcase. And her suspicions were confirmed. Over 60 missed calls.

She brought the phone to her chest and fall back on the bed. She doesn't know what to feel. She felt numb.

If they want to see her they know where to look for her. But they hadn't. It shows they don't - she shut her eyes she's been trying her best not to think of it. But now she did...

He is going live on TV to clarify things. She does not know what to believe anymore. The missed calls aren't an excuse. It does not justify the fact that they could have come back for her the letter, The one she dropped. Did they even read it? She's sure they did. After all, how else would they have known of her decision? She took in a deep breath and she stayed that way.

She doesn't know for how long. Feeling numb and her mind blank. Her mother then came into the room and told her she has a surprise guest. Hanan look bewildered. Surprise? She asked

Who could it be?

"I'm sorry about earlier"

"Alright."

Her mom gave her a puzzled look. She does not have strength for a lengthy talk at the moment. All she needed was to snuggle on her bed and zone out and just forget all her worries.

"I-"

"Mum its fine really."

After a long hard stare." Okay dear"

They made their way towards the living room. Her step halted as she took in her so unexpected Guest.

"Nice to see you again, Han!"

Uh-oh!

********************
O ye Imran lovers! Where art thou?
I love him even though he's a sadist! 😂😂.
Unexpected guest? Who could that be?

Don't be a silent reader!
As usual, don't forget to vote, comment, & share!

Till next time! 💕💕💕