Warm Water

Camila dried her tears and smudged the mascara from the bottom of her eyes. She couldn't let anyone see her in this state. She was always known to be the one who kept herself composed, rational, and steadfast. Still, no one know exactly what happened between her and Shawn; and she cared about him too much to ruin his reputation by telling other people about Hailee.

A knock on the door interrupted her thoughts and she scrambled up to get a tissue and wipe evidence of her breakdown away from her face. She walked towards the door and took a deep breath before turning the knob. "Honey." Dinah's soft voice called out as she walked into the room, "How are you feeling?"

Of course she couldn't fool her best friend. "I'm all right... coping... you know."

Dinah shook her head; she didn't know. She had no idea what had happened between them and she respected Camila's privacy and all, but it was hard to be there for her when she didn't understand her situation. "Mila, I just wish you would talk to me."

"Dinah, I can't" her voice broke, "not right now." She held her best friend's hands in hers and looked into her eyes. "I love you for everything that you've done. When I'm ready, you'll be the first person to know everything."

"Promise?" asked Dinah. Camila nodded and leaned in to hug her best friend. "All right, freshen up because dinner's ready downstairs."

"You cooked?" Camila asked in disbelief. Dinah usually reeled away at the first sight of kitchen knives and a cutting board. She did, however, manage to surprise everyone at Thanksgiving that one time she made the most delicious chocolate molten lava cake.

Dinah rolled her eyes, "No, Mani and Gonzalez grilled some steaks," she paused, "don't worry, they grilled some corn on the cob and some other vegetables for your vegetarian ass."

After Dinah left her room, Camila washed her face and willed the redness in her eyes to dissipate. She changed into a comfortable, loose tank top and a pair of leggings, and threw her hair up into a messy bun. She followed downstairs to the dining room where Normani and Y/n had laid out the dinner spread. Dinah was pouring Cabernet Sauvignon into wine glasses, Normani was setting all the silverware, and Y/n was just outside on the patio, finishing up on the grill.

"Have a seat, m'lady." Normani pulled a chair for Camila, "You are the guest of honor for the evening."

She smiled at Normani and glared at her best friend. She had a feeling Dinah had told her that she had been crying, which prompted Normani to be extra nice to her. Dinah raised her arms up as if to say she had nothing to do with it. Camila decided to give her the benefit of the doubt since Normani was naturally caring and concerned for everyone's well-being.

Y/n walked in and closed the door behind her. She set down a tray of juicy tenderloin steaks on the center of the table. The smell of the meat wafted its way under Camila's nose and she couldn't help but mentally salivate at the thought of steak in her mouth. She hadn't eaten meat in years without a problem; and yet here she was craving the salty, savory flavor all of a sudden.

Y/n took the seat next to her and shortly thereafter, they began their meal. Camila went against her initial cravings and placed a nice array of grilled vegetables on her plate. After talking about albums and soccer tournaments and the crazy things that happened between their travels, the conversation turned to their encounter with the blonde girl from earlier that day. Y/n claimed to have met her at a nightclub the previous evening while Normani was safely at home sleeping - a fact Dinah had to confirm with her girlfriend. The blonde's name was Mia, or was it Michelle? She had a decent enough face and apparently she was down to fuck, which was all Y/n needed to bolt out of the club with her and take her back to her makeshift bachelor pad in her teammate's guest house.