A World Alone

"Please stow your tray tables away and pull your seats back into the upright position," a bright, chirpy voice sang through the speaker, "We will be arriving shortly in Miami International Airport."

Camila's eyes fluttered open as passengers settled back into their seats and prepared for their descent. To her right, her bestfriend Dinah was squealing with glee, nearly leaping of her chair ready to bound for the door. She rolled her eyes at the display of excitement that she had to admit, made her feel a tiny bit jealous. It must have been satisfying to know that her bestie was spending seven uninterrupted days with her longterm girlfriend, Normani Kordei. Camila was genuinely happy for Dinah, but her eagerness to be with Normani was like rubbing salt on a fresh wound.
Camila and Dinah were both famous singers taking a break from their tour.

She closed her eyes and arched her back as the plane made its final descent and touched down on the runway. Her mind drifted back three weeks prior when she was on a similar plane landing in a town somewhere in the Midwest. Shawn was by her side. She watched the clouds disappear as they descended back down to the ground. He was holding her hand, pressing a kiss to her knuckles. She gazed up at his brown eyes and smiled softly. Camila opened her eyes and took in her surroundings. Shawn was no longer by her side.

"I'm so happy you agreed to spend the week in Miami with Normani and I." beamed Dinah, as they waited for their checked luggage at the carousel.

Camila smiled weakly. Her best friend had tried to be as supportive as she could even if she didn't know all the details about their abrupt break-up. In fact, Dinah wasn't even sure if it was legitimately over or a salvageable postponed engagement. All she knew was Camila was no longer sporting the heirloom engagement ring that used to adorn her finger. Regardless, they were like family, always there for each other and Dinah did her best to pick up the pieces and prevent her best friend from spending the week alone and feeling sorry for herself.

The girls took their bags to the arrivals section of the airport where they were met by encompassing hugs from Normani Kordei. The soccer player planted a chaste kiss on Dinah before taking her bags. "I've missed you, baby," she said, wrapping her arm around her waist. "I missed you too, babe." she laughed, "even if you did drop me off at the airport less than sixteen hours ago."

"Distance makes the heart grow fonder, baby!" whined Dinah. Camila chuckled. Dinah could be so over dramatic sometimes, but she found a good match in level-headed Normani.

"So, Camila," Normani said reluctantly, trying her best to tread lightly on her puzzling situation, "How are you?"

"I'm good, Normani. Thank you for letting me spend the week in your place. I'll try my best to be invisible so you and Dinah can get all the alone time you need."

"Don't be silly, Camila," Dinah chimed in, "This week is just as much about you. I want - no, WE want to spend time with you. Besides, you can stay in Normani's guest house so you can get all the privacy you need when Mani and I are - you know." she winked at her girl and playfully slapped her ass.

She chuckled, "About that, babe... I was going to tell you before your flight but it must have slipped my mind. I already have a buddy of mine staying at the guest house. Her house is being renovated this week. I was thinking Camila wouldn't mind staying in one of the guest rooms at the main house."

"Normani!" Dinah raised her voice, but Camila held her hand up to stop her friend from saying anything she would regret, "A guest room would be fine. Hell, a couch in your basement would work for me."

The matte black Mercedes Benz G-Class rolled up on the driveway of Normani's estate. Camila had been here a few times, but every time, the magnitude of this house always seemed to render her speechless. She just couldn't imagine such a large house for a family, much less one person. She noted how Dinah's face lit up; Dinah definitely considered Normani's house her home now. They unloaded their baggage from the back of the SUV and rolled into the entryway. Normani set her keys on a nearby table and turned to face Camila, "Your room is upstairs, first door on the right. You've got your own bathroom and everything. If you're anything like this one," she wrapped her arms around Dinah's shoulders, "you're going to need all that counter space for all your makeup.