13. Scar Tissue

Kai woke up wrapped around Penelope. Her face was nuzzled into his chest and her leg was over his. His arms held her close and he was comfortable with her.

He ran his fingers through her tangled hair not expecting her to respond, but she started to wake up. He didn't know what to do so he pretended to be asleep.

Penelope woke up and looked up to Kai who was sleeping peacefully, or so she thought. She liked the feeling of him wrapped around her, but knew he probably wouldn't. She carefully got out of his grip. She moved her leg from on top of his and laid next to him looking at his peaceful face. She was grateful for him for sure.

She took a deep breath and looked at the tv that was playing Pinocchio. Kai opened his eyes. He didn't know what he expected. Part of him wanted her to just stay there in his arms, but that's be weird right?

"Good morning." He spoke looking to her.

"Good morning." She replied turning to him. She laid facing him. "Thank you for staying with me."

"Your welcome." He nodded lightly, his eyes a bit droopy from his tired state.

"Do you like Pinocchio?" She asked turning back to the TV.

"It's okay. Kind of weird though." Kai replied as she looked at the tv.

"Sometimes I wish people's noses would actually grow when they lie." Penelope looked at the movie.

"Why?" Kai asked turning to her.

"What do you mean why?" She asked confused. "I'd want to know if all that judgement was real."

"But what if it was true? Then you'd just be more disappointed." He replied.

"I don't know." She replied looking at the movie.

"It's like you want to be disappointed." Kai looked at her as she turned to him.

"No. I just want to know. I want to really know." She told him.

"You might say that but that's not what you really want." He shook his head.

"And how would you know what I really want?" She asked furrowing her eyebrows at him.

"You want to think that they wanted better for you. You want to think that your mom actually loved you or that your siblings weren't such assholes on purpose. They just were. There's nothing that will change that." He told her as she looked at him agitated and got out of bed.

"Screw you, Kai." She spoke as she went towards the bathroom.

"It's the truth. I'm sorry if it's hard to swallow." Kai told her as she got into the bathroom and closed the door.

She looked at the mirror angrily. Not because Kai was being an ass but because he was right. Was it bad of her to hope her life wasn't truly based on hatred? Couldn't she hope for something better? She decided to take a shower. Clean up after the sweat she was covered in from the theme park yesterday.

After cleaning up she got into a towel. She once again forgot that she didn't bring clothes along with her. She went out in her towel and walked past Kai to outside.

"Where are you going?" He asked confused.

"I need clothes. There's a gift shop downstairs." She told him as she went looked at him. Kai took a breath nodding lightly as he stood up.

"What are you doing?" Penelope asked holding her towel.

"I need clothes too, P." He spoke looking at her.

"P? Why P?" She asked as she tried to make it not awkward as she walked with only a towel.

"Why not, P." He asked looking at her with a smirk.