10. Chasing Cars

They got back to the house and Penelope was still smiling. Kai wondered what it would be like if she smiled when sober. They found their way to the back patio and were again laying on the blanket to look at stars.

"That was the most fun I've had in this stupid place." Penelope sighed contently as she laid there with her new glass of eggnog.

"Yeah it was pretty great. Not too for favorite though." Kai responded.

"What?" Pepper looked at him shocked.

"I learned how to drive a plane once." He replied as Pepper nodded lightly.

"That's pretty cool." She spoke leaning her head back to look at the stars. It was quiet for a moment. She was having such a good time which surprised her and made her feel even better. It made her feel like she could do anything. "You know I'm not that mad at you for killing your family."

"You aren't?" He asked surprised.

"No I'm mad at you because you don't have a reason."

"Like you right?" He asked remembering how she spoke like she killed someone.

"Right." She relied with a nod.

"What did you do, P?" He asked looking at the stars.

She took a breath and looked up. Who was she to keep it from him. "I killed my family too. My mom, stepdad, and my three siblings." She explained to him.

"Really?" He asked surprised.

"They treated me like shit. When I turned eighteen I tried to leave, I was so excited to leave, but she wouldn't let me. I tried to stay home and live with it but I couldn't." She took a breath. "One day she started hitting me again. She hadn't done that since a few years before but this time was worse. She sat up and turned her head pulling up some of her hair. "She tore out a chunk of hair from my head." Kai looked at her surprised. There behind her ear was a rather large patch that was clearly irritated. It looked painful, he wasn't going to lie.

"Damn." Was all he managed to say.

"Yeah it hurt to say the least. I don't know what was going through her head but she decided to get my siblings to come in and hurt me. I took it. They yelled at me and judged me and literally pushed me to the ground." She talked about it still sitting up as she looked down. "I couldn't handle it anymore. So I waited until it was nighttime and I put sleeping spells on them. I took them into my house and I tied each of them up."

"That's evil." Kai spoke as she looked to him.

"No. Not compared to what she has done to me. I hide most of my scars." She shook her head. "I killed them after that. I left my mom for last." She explained with a sigh. "Then I ran. I was living nicely but witches started coming after me. I decided to make this necklace to make me stronger." She held it in her hands. "I had to make it at home because I got my power from where they were killed. The problem was the witches were waiting for me there and I got here." She explained as she laid down.

"Wow." He spoke surprised. He assumed she killed someone. He didn't think it was that brutal, but he liked it. And it wasn't like him, she didn't kill because she thought it was fun, she killed because she had reason too. "Why didn't they just kill you?"

"Well I didn't just kill my family. I killed a few others." She explained. "All of which deserved it. The people that knew I was being hurt and they just let it happen." She turned to him.

"And I really thought you were more innocent." Kai looked at her as she took a breath.

"There's so much more left to me." She told him as he let out a soft chuckle.