18. Our Time Now

After they both healed up they decided to go on a trip. Kai took Penelope to a beach for the first time. They went down south a bit where the water was clearer and the weather was warmer.

They found bathing suits, Kai grabbed gray swim trunks and Penelope wore a white bikini. When they got to the beach the wind blew lightly and Penelope took off the large shirt she had over her clothes and grabbed her flip flops off of her feet.

She looked at Kai and gave him a smirk. "Last one to the water is a loser." She told him as she started running.

Kai went after her. "You have super speed. That's cheating." He called out as she laughed.

She stopped right when she got to the edge of the water. She looked at the ocean, which was really beautiful. Kai stopped next to her slightly out of breath.

"What, scared?" Kai asked looking at her.

"Nope just taking in the moment." She replied as she looked up with a smile and shut her eyes. Kai looked at her smiling. He'd wanted to kiss her for so long it wasn't even funny. Seeing her so beautiful in the face of the sun made him want to hold her and never let go.

She let the water touch her feet and she got goosebumps. The water rushes over causing her feet to sink slightly into the sand. She felt the mush between her toes and smiled.

"What do you think?" Kai asked curiously.

"It's nice." She replied as she kept walking further in. Kai stood watching her for a moment. "Aren't you coming?" She asked as she kicked some water at him.

"Ah, it's cold, P. You've gotta give me a second." Kai replied as he kicked some water back at her.

She nodded and went further into the water. She got knee level when she looked back to Kai who continued to stand in the same place to soak in a little more of the sun. He faced the sky which gave Penelope the opportunity to observe him. She looked at him for a few seconds before scooping some water and flinging it at him.

"What was that for?" Kai asked looking at her playfully.

"If you don't come with me I could drown. I'm still not the best swimmer you know." She told him as he shook his head.

"Yeah okay." Kai spoke as he walked over to her. "Splash me again and you'll regret it." He warned as he raised an eyebrow.

She nodded and walked behind him as he walked further into the water. She cupped some water with her hands and put it over his head. She wanted to test him. After being away she knew she wanted to be closer to him. Like she told him, it was inevitable. She just wanted to see how he'd react.

He turned to her pushed his hair back. "I warned you." He commented as he put his hands in the water.

"Oh no." She commented as she started walking backwards. Kai splashes her and in an effort to avoid it Penelope ended up falling into the water. She came back up and coughed.

"Hey you okay?" Kai asked worried.

"Yeah I just didn't expect it to be so... salty." She replied coughing more. "Yuck." She added making a disgusted face.

"The ocean is salt water. Didn't you know that?" Kai asked confused.

"Yeah I knew that." She rolled her eyes. "I just didn't know how much salt was in it exactly."

Kai laughed. "You're the most uncultured person I know." He spoke.

"I'm the only person you know." She spoke as she looked up.

"Touché." He replied with a smile sitting next to her.

"I wish I could've had this before, you know? I didn't even know how salty the beach was. And you. You know more than I do and I was just in the real world." She explained looking at him. "You've been here for more than a decade and you know-" She stopped noticing how his face changed. "Sorry." She shook her head.