4

JARROD

"Cute little thing, isn't she?" Claire remarked.

We were standing outside the radiology room while Leah was getting her ribs x-rayed.

"I keep relationships with my patients strictly professional, Claire," I said, raising a brow at her.

"Uh-huh. I wasn't suggesting anything of the sort, doc. I just said she was cute."

"No comment."

If I was honest, I thought she was a hell of a lot more than just cute.

She wasn't wearing any makeup, her hair wasn't styled, and she was dressed in a bland hospital gown. She didn't even have to try—just her existence was enthralling.

Claire's laughter automatically drew a smile to my face.

"We all know you've been single for quite some time now, Dr. Muller," she said. "No one would blame you for getting back in the game."

"Are you suggesting something?" I asked, waggling my brows.

She rolled her eyes and snorted. "I'm old enough to be your mother—knock it off."

"Well, let me assure you, Claire. I'm in no hurry to get back in the game. My last attempt was not so fun."

Before she could shoot me with a witty comment about my ex, the radiology door opened. The technician rolled a smiley Leah out in the wheelchair.

"They tell me I'm not broken," she said as she gave us both a thumbs up. Then she blushed up at the tech.

She chuckled and stepped aside to let Claire take over the wheelchair. "That's right. No broken ribs. We do think she needs to rest a bit before being transported home, though. She probably shouldn't drive herself, either."

I barely caught the disgruntled look on Leah's face at that recommendation. She masked it quickly, ducking her chin.

"I agree completely, Stacey," I said. "Thank you."

While Claire and I wheeled our patient back to our wing, I walked alongside Leah's wheelchair.

She fiddled with her hands and avoided eye contact with me at all costs.

My eyes strayed from her face since she refused to look at me anyway. I noticed the thin hospital gown gaped a bit in the back. Her creamy, freckled skin stretched down to the seat of the wheelchair.

I swallowed hard.

It's just skin.

I see skin all the time.

Literally no big deal.

We reached Room 8 and Claire helped me stand Leah stand out of the wheelchair. I wanted to ensure movement didn't strain any muscles around her ribs.

"I have to use the bathroom before I get back in bed," she said quickly. Her eyes flit over to Claire.

"No problem." Claire smiled. "Dr. Muller can take care of the wheelchair and I'll help you into the bathroom."