Chapter 32

Serah took in a breath as she stared at the dress in the mirror. It was the most beautiful that she had ever felt, in her wedding dress. The white cloth fell off her shoulders and ended at her elbows. Lace and chiffon and silk formed beautiful flowers that brushed her collarbones and wrapped around her waist and skirts. Her dark hair ran down her shoulders with a dozen white roses entwined in the tresses. Despite what had happened a mere week ago, Serah couldn't help but let out a girlish laugh as she twirled.

Jack's page had been the only real threat. With a few stumbles on his part and a few well placed whispers in theirs, the murder was pinned on the boy. The demons remained, clearly waiting to see whether Xander or his father were the one to follow.

Serah smiled brightly as the maids placed the veil into her hair. She was happy, giddy almost.

"There's my girl!" Jason exclaimed. Serah laughed and threw herself into his arms. Her father had arrived a few days before, and it seemed that things were finally getting brighter. "Now, we don't want to mess up your hair. What would your future husband think?" He playfully chided.

"He would think I looked even prettier," Serah replied confidently. "If we rub dirt on my face, Xander might actually faint when you walk me down the aisle."

Jason laughed and allowed her to take his arm. This was the moment she had wanted from the very beginning, she realized. That girlish wish that she had, the wish that had started everything, was coming true.

But, it had been Aileen's wish too.

"I wish Aileen was here," Serah admitted quietly.

"I wish your mother was here," Jason replied. "She would have loved to see you marry."

"Are you happy that I'm getting married?" She asked, in that same, cautious and sad tone. "To Xander, I mean."

"Serah, if you told me that you wanted to marry Xavier's son a year ago... Well, my point is, it's clear that he cares for you, and cherishes you," Jason told her. "I will be proud to call him my son-in-law."

Serah gave her father a grateful smile. He cleared his throat just a bit too loudly and continued to walk with her.

"And what about grandchildren?" She teased.

"Don't you think you should wait a while? At least until all of this settles down," Jason suggested, though his voice caught in his throat. Serah continued to smile at him until he nodded. They paused at the doors to the throne room, where Jason allowed his daughter to take a breath. "Are you ready?"

"Yes," the girl whispered. "Is it alright to be scared, too?"

"Why would you be scared?"

"I feel like I'm losing my childhood. This marriage says love to all but the demons, who see it as an alliance," Serah explained. "Those with Xavier see him gaining a stronger weapon. Those with Xander see him building an empire of his own."

"Don't worry about that," Jason chided gently. "It's your wedding day. Smile and enjoy being with the one you love."

Serah nodded and straighted. Her father smiled, pushing the door open.

Xander looked like a king. Serah had to smother a giggle at the realization that he had allowed the servants to dress him. Even so, he looked dashing, the very picture of a ruler. He shifted nervously, but froze when he saw her. She smiled at him as Jason handed her off.

Xander nodded and returned her grin. He was uncharacteristically sheepish as he glanced towards the ground. They knelt before the priest and the long ceremony began.