Chapter 15

Serah stared at the gates of her former home and swallowed. Xander had managed to get them horses from the recovering town near his cabin. It had recently been sacked by bandits, but was healing as best it could. She sat back in the saddle.

"Fancy," Xander pointed out. He looked over to her with a wary gaze. He was uncomfortable, she knew. If it  had been under any other circumstances, Serah would have stayed with him. She would have been content with living a simple life on the woods.

She took a deep breath and urged her horse towards the gate.

She didn't recognize the guards that rushed to open it. She didn't recognize the servants that gasped and fled inside.

Serah felt her heart clench. How many people had Caos killed alongside her mother? Her eyes glazed at the unfamiliarity of it all. What if her family wasn't here at all?

She looked to her side to find Xander holding out his hand to her. Comforted, she took it and swung down from her horse.

"Serah!"

She looked towards the house just in time to see Erik before he ran into her arms. The girl hugged him tightly, her eyes watering as she held her brother close.

"Are you alright?" Serah asked through a sob.

"Yes, what about you?" Erik replied, clinging to the older girl. She nodded and sobbed into his shoulder. He'd grown, now nearly as tall as she was. Serah parted from him and wiped her eyes. "We should go inside. I'm sure that Flynn and our Uncle will want to see you."

The girl took a step back and laced her fingers through Xander's.

"Yes, we should," she said quietly. Serah was aware of the hunter scanning the halls of her home as he entered, as he often did when he was uneasy. She squeezed his hand gently and gave him a sweet smile. Xander's eyes slipped to her lips, then to her brother's back and the guards stationed in the halls. His expression brimmed in frustration.

Serah pressed into him, and though she was better at hiding it, her expression mirrored his. She wanted to kiss him just as much as he wanted to kiss her. She hated that even their holding hands were a risk.

She turned into what was now her brother's office, eyes locking onto the blond man who stood behind Flynn. He had all the same facial features that her mother had possessed, with the same striking turquoise eyes and platinum hair that had marked her as a beauty.

Flynn gave her a bright smile as the guards shut the doors to the study behind them. Xander glanced over his shoulder and released her hand.

"This is our Uncle Axel," Erik explained. He sat behind the desk, looking to be the very image of their father. "Would you care to introduce your friend?"

Xander raised one eyebrow at his words.

"This is Xander. He is solely responsible for my safe return home," Serah explained. Erik turned his eyes to the hunter and smiled.

"We are very thankful. Any compensation needed-"

"None is needed, thank you," Xander nearly spat the words out, losing his patience. Serah gave him a warning, pleading look that brought him back to his senses. He swallowed and forced a calm look. "But it is my intention to wed your sister."

The hunter didn't like the amused look that Serah's youngest brother had in his eyes. Erik, however, looked shocked. Serah herself had briefly tensed before relaxing. Xander took her hand again as the young lord looked to his uncle. Axel cleared his throat and crossed his arms.

"Sir, you are aware that our family is fighting a war," said the man. "As much as we regret it, we need Serah unwed to stablize any alliances."

Xander looked towards the girl he loved and pressed his lips together. She took a breath in and nodded.