Chapter 18

Xander had fallen back into a routine, with everything exactly the way he liked it. He would rise before dawn and run through the woods behind the house. Then he'd shoot for another hour until the sun had just begun to peak over the distant mountains. He enjoyed unnerving the servants by cooking his own breakfast each morning.

And then the hunter would return to Serah in their bed with their breakfast.

Xander was on his way to do that very thing when Flynn stopped him in the hallway.

"Our father wants to see you," he said.

"Right, I'll talk to him after I get Serah her breakfast," the hunter replied. Her youngest brother smiled and shook his head.

"I'll leave it in your rooms," Flynn told him, holding out his hands. "She's been staying there, hasn't she?"

Damn it, what was all that nonsense about the guards being discreet?!

Xander breathed out a sigh and gave him the plates, beginning to walk towards Jason's office. What could he possibly want with him? The hunter wasn't one to stress over social situations, but worry was preying on his mind. Erik he could fight against when it came to the timing of the wedding. However, he wouldn't stand a chance against Jason Medlock.

The hunter walked into Jason's office, finding the man staring into a cup of coffee that had long gone cold.

"Good morning," he greeted Xander. "I apologize for the hour."

"I've been up. It's no trouble."

Jason eased back in his chair and fixed dark eyes on Xavier's son. It was remarkable just how much he looked like the man who had once stalked his wife for decades. It almost gave him chills that this was the one Serah had chosen to love.

"What are your true intentions towards my daughter?" He asked the hunter. Xander moved to give his answer, only to be silenced when the man cut him off. "I've no doubt that you care about her, but what will you drag her into? Will you use her to take your father's throne, as Caos did?

"Never. Neither of us want the throne," the hunter told Jason. "I want to take her away from this. I want to protect her."

"Protect Serah from whom, exactly?"

Xander was left speechless. Surely the man knew he was referring to the demons, to any danger that would reach for her. Jason's words made him think. He couldn't be implying that the hunter himself was a threat to Serah?

Serah's father continued fixing his dark eyes on Xander.

"I don't intend to hurt her," the hunter mumbled.

"I should hope not. However, I can only offer so much benefit of the doubt when it comes to your power as a demon," Jason continued. "Serah is human. If you lose control, you could kill her."

Xander gritted his teeth. He knew. He knew that the growing power within him could devour Serah if he wasn't careful.

"I am aware of that."

"Then I expect you to take care of your situation. Learn about your powers, how they work, what you can do. Do not do something that will result in the loss of my daughter."

Xander nodded with new determination.

"Yes, sir."

Jason waved him from the room then, only promising to see the hunter at dinner.

Xander began the walk back to the room that he and Serah now pernamently shared. He wondered if he should tell her about the encounter with her father. It was only fair that he shared his fears with her, just as she had with him. Furthermore, she needed to understand the dangers of being with him until he could control his power, as well as the explosive temper that nagged at his mind.