Chapter 23

"So, what are we doing, exactly?" Serah whispered. Xander shushed her, grinning ear to ear. They slipped through the darkened halls, all the way to the kitchen. He lit a few candles, illuminating the small room.

"Let's try baking something together," he murmured.

Serah grinned and took his hands in her own.

"In the middle of the night?" She whispered. "What if we burn the house down?"

Xander chuckled and kissed her softly.

"What would you like to make, princess?" He asked her, flipping through a recipe book. Serah slipped next to him and pointed to a recipe for apple pie. "Baking... my mortal enemy."

She giggled and nudged him gently. Xander smiled and shuffled about, gathering what they needed. He rolled his sleeves up to his elbows and went to work. Serah helped where she could, but neither of them were bakers.

She noticed that Xander had flour on his face and moved to brush it off. He turned to look at her, so the girl withdrew her hand. The hunter smiled warmly, returning to his work. Before long, the treat was baking in the oven.

Serah pulled Xander to her and kissed him softly. Enveloped in the warmth and soft light of the kitchen, the two held each other. Xander carefully placed his hand on Serah's waist and took her hand in his own. She giggled, nuzzling his nose with her own.

"I'll try not to step on your toes," he promised. Serah led the slow waltz, laughing when he grew confident enough to spin her. "You are so beautiful."

The girl snapped back into his arms and let him just sway with her. Xander watched her with a warm smile as she reached up to kiss his cheek.

"How terrible was I when we first met?" Serah asked softly. He chuckled and rested his chin in her hair.

"You were awful," Xander murmured. "But you also didn't hesitate to help me in that first fight, even though it got you injured."

She giggled again, apologetically this time. He reached up to caress her cheek.

"My brave, stubborn, beautiful, clever love," the hunter whispered. "Marry me."

"Of course," Serah murmured. Their lips met in a passionate kiss. Xander pulled her closer to him, letting his eyes flutter closed. They were safe. He could let himself relax, couldn't he? His hands cupped her face as he cherished the moment between them. She was his, and he was hers. Nothing could ever change that. She parted from him, letting him rest his forehead against hers. "Xander?"

"Yes, princess?" He murmured.

"Should we make sure that the pie isn't burning?" She asked. He chuckled and pulled her closer to him.

"No," Xander joked. "I'm sure that we'll be able to smell it when it's done, don't you think?"

Serah sighed, smiling at him. He stole another kiss before moving to check the pie. It would be done soon, he decided, moving it back over the flames.

Xander leaned against the countertop and breathed in the sweet aroma.

Serah watched him happily, savoring the domesticity of it all. No servants, no siblings, no parents, just them and a romantic evening.

"Can you draw?" She asked him curiously. Xander coughed and looked to the side.

"Where did that come from?" He replied, avoiding the question. Serah raised one eyebrow. "I suppose I could, why?"

"I don't think that I've ever seen you relax like this before," the girl pointed out. "You're always so tense, or you're out in the woods exercising."