Chapter 29

Serah woke to the feeling of Xander pressing kisses to her inner thighs. She giggled and went to shove his head away. He'd had enough of her last night, hadn't he? God, she could still feel the burning sensation.

A jolt ran through her as he growled.

"No, no," Serah laughed, pushing his head away again. "It's too early, Xander..."

"Little bird..." he purred. Her eyes widened and she sat up quickly. Xander met her gaze with eyes as black as night. A gasp left her throat as she realized the truth. She scrambled to her feet, stumbling back into the underbrush. The demon smirked and began to stalk towards her. "Oh, little bird, I bet you taste divine..."

"You stay away!" Serah yelled.

"Come now, Serah, I'm still Xander, aren't I? A bit less emotion, a bit more power, but I'm still him in the end, " he continued. She snatched her trousers from the forest floor and stumbled back again, desperately trying to pull them on. He watched in wicked amusement. His black eyes glinted in the morning sun.

Serah grabbed her boots and turned to run. She screamed as he slammed into her, holding her against him. Sensing that he was about to flash them away, she sank her fangs deep into his neck and tore.

The demon cursed loudly, holding his neck as he spat at her. Serah jammed her feet into her boots, grabbed her bow, and ran.

"I'm going to rip those fangs out of your mouth!" He roared. Her breath came in quick gasps as she darted through the woods. She was terrified.

Promise me. Promise that you'll be the one to kill me.

Serah dashed behind a tree and struggled to stop her breathing.

What was she supposed to do?! Tears began to trace down her cheeks. Was Xander still in there? Oh God... She couldn't stop her heart from pounding.

"You can't hide for long, Serah..."

Serah anxiously peeked out from behind the tree. Had he seen her? Surely he could sense her. She'd keep moving as soon as he passed.

A jolt of icy fear shot through her when she saw that he had an arrow resting on his bowstring. If he wanted her dead, he would have killed her in her sleep, surely. That meant...

Serah felt herself begin to tremble. He was planning to immoblize her. What would he do once he'd put arrows through her legs? She silently slid an arrow from her quiver and nocked it on her own bowstring.

It was slowly that the girl snuck into the underbrush, fully aware that her best chance of survival was to run.

If he intended to play a game of cat and mouse, he was going to get his damn wish.

××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

Xander jerked awake, his knee banging hard against the table.

"Oh, good, you've arisen," Yuna sighed in relief. He blinked and stared at his mother in confusion. Hadn't he just been in the woods with Serah? Worry began to leech at Xander's mind. He hadn't dreamed it all, he was sure of it.

"Where's Serah?" The hunter demanded. His gaze swung around the room like a sword. "And where is my bow?"

"You were found in a hall, alone. Xavier managed to convince the guards to keep it quiet, but we don't know where Serah is," Yuna admitted. "Xander, the spell backfired. I don't know what happened, or what the affect was-"

Xander shoved himself from the chair and stalked towards the door.

"You shouldn't go alone. You're weaponless, Xander," Yuna called.