Chapter 34 ~ Chase

Chase's POV

I blink and give my head a small shake hoping to refocus my mind onto what is happening around me, but currently that is complete and utter chaos.

Brett has arrived, and suddenly no one knows what to do.

The town's police station has gone into meltdown mode and I am sitting here rooted to the spot, not knowing what to do. It feels like the calm before the storm and I am not sure if I am ready to walk through these doors and face the colossal drama that is happening on the other side.

The sound of someone walking through the door stopping a mere metre away from me catches my diverted attention almost immediately and I quickly drift my eyes onto their face and run my eyes along their features. The guy presented in front of me holds an aura that oozes confidence, and he holds himself firm and strong.

"You're free to go, son, Brett's appearance has cleared everything up," he says. I snap my eyes to his.

Is he serious? This is all actually over? I'm free?

Free, the word feels weird to think about now, after everything that has happened over the past few months. It was a weird thing, freedom. Lately, I didn't feel like the word held much value to me anymore.

Brett truly came back and showed, despite the wrath that will most likely be waiting for him at home.

My stomach feels uneasy thinking about his parent's reaction to his return.

I stand and my body aches, a spark of pain ignites in my feet and runs its way up my legs like a vine. I realise that I have been sitting in this chair for the past few hours, unmoving and numb.

One thought is fuelling my movements currently, and that is the fact that I am going to find Sage, and finally get that kiss.

I walk past the officer and into the hallway, absorbing the fact that the commotion has died down since when I had zoned out last. I turn my head quickly, wondering if Brett is actually here. I make my way down the hallway and I notice Brett's voice before I actually see him.

I turn the corner and see that Brett is making his way towards me with two officers walking behind him, keeping within distance to grab him if needed. They appear to be steering him in the direction of another room near the one I have just come from.

My eyes scan over him, absorbing his mop of blonde shaggy hair which looks dishevelled and messy. I let my eyes travel along his face before stopping on his eyes, which are already locked on me. His earthy brown eyes look tired but upon seeing me they brighten the slightest.

"Chase," Brett says coming up and stopping short less than a meter away.

"Why did you do it? why did you come back?" I ask my mind a mess.

"I wasn't about to let you take the blame for something that was my problem, you did that enough when we were younger," He states.

"What about your parents?" I question, knowing the crap he will receive for his sudden disappearing act.

"It's ok, I'll figure it out," he replies keeping his tone low.

The silence that engulfs the narrow hallway becomes uncomfortable and I shift my footing from one side to the other.

"Thanks," I say my green eyes flashing to his.

"I said I would fix it, I wasn't lying Chase," he responds. I don't know how to respond. I don't know what else to say.

"Chase, you might want to hurry, your girl is outside waiting for you," Brett says before the police officers shove his shoulders edging him to keep moving.

And those are the only words that it takes for me to turn and rush towards the doors. As I make my way there I notice that Sage's dad is standing off to the side of the room. His eyes meet mine as he makes his way up to me, giving me a grim look.

"Look after her," He grumbles, mustering his best glare.

"I intend to Mr Hill, I always have," I reply before turning and making my way towards the exit.

I jog until I'm just outside the doors, and let my eyes run along the parking lot, my eyes searching for Sage.

My eyes meet her electric blue ones making my heart stop in my chest. I make my way over to her, as she leans against Caleb's car. I let my eyes meet his cold grey ones, and he gives me a small nod, and I give him one in return. I don't let my eyes linger on his for too long before they meet Sages'.

I can't help the feeling that begins in my stomach, as a small smile graces her features.

"Hey," she mumbles, looking up at me. I don't waste a second before I grab her waist and pull her to my chest, wrapping my arms around her holding her to me.

"Hi," I reply taking in her delicate smell of roses, as I let it consume my senses. And I let out a sigh of relief, god I missed that smell.

"You're free," she says her smile widening as her eyes look over my face and I do the same.

A small frown tugs at the corner of my mouth as I look at the bags under her eyes, I reach my hand up and run my finger under her eyes

"Did you not sleep at all last night? Miss me so much you couldn't even sleep?" I ask trying to lighten the mood.

"Oh, shut up," she mumbles into my chest before giving my shoulder a light shove.

"As adorable as this whole Romeo and Juliet thing you guys have got going on is, I would seriously like to eat breakfast sometime this morning," Caleb's voice interjects.

"Shut it Caleb," I growl out, tightening my hold on Sage not wanting to let her go yet.

"Okay, Okay. Jeez calm down bro," Caleb teases as he makes his way to the driver's seat. "I'll be in the car when you finally decide to join me you two lovebirds," he calls over his shoulder before slipping into the car and out of view.

"Chase?" Sage asks lifting her head, letting her captivating eyes meet mine.

"Yes sweetheart," I reply.

"We should probably get in the car, knowing Caleb he will drive off and leave us here if we don't hurry up," She says with a light laugh.

She begins to turn and make her way towards the car. But before she can take another step, I grab her wrist and pull her back to me.

She looks up at me slightly stunned. "Chase?" she questions "What are you doing?" she asks.

"I promised myself if it worked out, that I would do one thing to celebrate," I say looking down at her.

"What?" she asks clearly confused.

"This," I say, and with that I lean my head down and capture her lips with mine, catching her completely off guard. She stands motionless and completely stunned before she lightly responds pressing her lips gently against mine, causing sparks to erupt making my head spin.

She lightly pulls away looking up at me.

"I bet you didn't think you would end up falling for the suspect now did you?" I ask smirking down at her.

"Who says I've fallen for you?" she asks feigning fake confusion, and with that, she sends me a wink over her shoulder before she turns and pulls me towards the car.

This girl truly is something else.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

✰ Please vote and comment ✰

THE END!!