Chapter 4 ~ Chase

Chase's POV

The interrogation room at the police station is small and square, different from sitting in the principal's office talking to the police. That place is comfortable and familiar, I had been there numerous times before. This room is different however, uncomfortable and cold. There is no clock to keep track of how long I have been here, it is unnerving.

Sitting on one side of the heavy steel table, I assess the man in front of me on the other side. His face is stern yet friendly, around his eyes are laughter lines, he is tanned and quite tall. Rubbing his hands tiredly over his face he stares up at me, as if he is fed up and waiting for me to tell him something he doesn't already know.

The disappointing thing for him is that I don't have anything new to tell him that I didn't tell the police a week ago in the principal's office. Nothing has changed. He wasn't the only one wishing Brett would just show up with his signature smirk and cocky attitude.

Putting his notes on the table, glaring at me in an uncomfortable silence I look up to meet his gaze. With determination and intimidation, I am refusing to break eye contact or be the first to speak.

"Hi Mr Rivers, I'm inspector Mark Hill, I'm just here to go over the information you've told the police about the disappearance of Brett Reed"

I nod my head as I glance at the papers on the table and then fixate my gaze back on his face, expressionless. Hill, where do I know that name from? Oh shit, that's the new girl's surname, I wonder whether she's his daughter? Her father's the new Inspector, figures, probably where she gets her courage from, sitting in my spot.

"So according to these notes you know Brett Reed quite well and people could even go as far as to call you friends. When suddenly a bit over a week ago, a few hours before Brett goes missing you and Brett have a physical fight in the parking lot?"

Fidgeting restlessly in my seat uncomfortably, I nod. Clearing my throat, I snap back with a quick "yes" before he goes on.

"Yes, what. You were friends, you had a fight?" his eyes are squinting at me questionably, inviting me to continue.

"We used to be friends when we were younger, our families were friends, but people change, circumstances change and I haven't known that Brett for a while".

Raising his eyebrows, he continues, "No one knew why the two of you suddenly started fighting but people say that they saw the two of you having a heated discussion before the brawl broke out, what was that about?"

Looking up and meeting his gaze square on I don't answer, so he continues.

"And that was the last time Brett Reed was seen, having a fight with you, so you can't blame everyone for wondering what happened between you two that made him suddenly disappear"

"How would I know where he is, I don't keep tabs on him," I say growing more aggravated by the minute.

"I don't know or care where he's gone or why he's gone. I left. I walked off and went home. I was just as surprised as you were that he was gone the next day," I snap fed up.

"Are we done here, can I leave?" I say standing with such force that my chair falls over behind me.

"For now, but I'll be in touch, Mr Rivers",

Storming out the door, I turn the corner trying to escape the questioning eyes of those around me.

As I rush around the corner without realising how quick I'm going I crash into someone, sending them flying to the ground with a thud.

"Owwww, watch where you're going!" the person cries out. as papers go flying everywhere. 

I look down and my eyes widen with surprise, out of all the possible people to run into it had to be her. Great now the detective will have me for assault and battery on his daughter. Was the universe against me?

"What the hell, watch where you're going! What are you stalking me now?" I growl.

She looks up and her eyes widen with recognition but instead of the fear that I'm accustomed to receiving, the only emotion present in her eyes is annoyance. That as well as embarrassment as her cheeks turn a crimson red. "Am I stalking you? You're the one that ran into me," she states aggravated.

Trying to hide my faltering smile, I scan her up and down, taking in her appearance with her auburn coloured hair that cascades down to below her shoulders framing her small round face. She has pale skin and bright observing eyes that are sharp and alert.

My frown deepens, how did I manage to run into the same girl twice in one day, when I'm doing my best to avoid everyone or their doing their best to avoid me since Brett's disappearing act.

"And by the way, you don't own that seat that I was sitting in this morning, it's school property," she blurts out.

I glare down at her and a scowl crosses onto my face. I push past her and keep walking towards the exit.

"Bye then," I hear her mutter under her breath. Is she for real?

Stalking towards the door I push it open with such force the glass rattles.

I leave without a second glance.