Chapter 28 ~ Chase

Chase's POV

~ 2 hours earlier ~

I have no idea what to do. My mind is literally split in two, it feels like someone is gripping each side ofmy head and trying to tear it down the middle. Half of me wants to show up at the dance and put the nagging thoughts of what Sage would look like in that dress to rest, but the other half doesn't want to discover what Aaron would retaliate with if I don't show up at his fight.

Earlier mum had come into my room, lightly clutching a suit in her hand telling me she had heard about the dance a week earlier and had gotten me a suit, thinking that I might change my mind at the last minute. The hope in her eyes made me want to drop my worries about Aaron and just go to the dance.

Dancing isn't my thing, but I can't stop the nagging feeling within me that wants to see Sage.

Something deep down churns when I think of Sage dancing with someone else. The thought undoubtedly makes me uncomfortable.

I can't stomach it.

And with that thought, I decide that whatever Aaron has planned doesn't matter. I am worrying about giving him control over my life if I am to go pro, but I am also letting him play me along by worrying about what he has over me. Besides, there is no denying that if I am to play by his rules, that he may pull this card again when it suits him in the future. I can't let that happen.

I stand from my bed and glance at the suit that is neatly laid out on my bed from earlier, where it has stayed untouched for the past few hours as I stewed on what to do. I grab it and make my way towards the shower to get ready.

Glancing at the time I realise that the dance had already started a little over 20 minutes ago. I am not someone to show up early anyway. I shower and get dressed in the suit. I make my way downstairs to where my mum is seated curled up on the couch watching the tv with interest.

"Hey mum, I'll be back later tonight. Don't wait up," I say as I kiss her cheek before turning towards the door. I can tell that she is happy I am going by the way her eyes light up a little as she glances at me.

"Chase," she says catching my attention, her light green vivid eyes catching mine.

"You look great," She states getting up and giving me a light hug.

"Thanks, bye mum," I reply, before walking out the door and towards my car.

I drive towards the school and park my car before walking my way towards the gym and entering. My eyes scan the crowd, taking in the faces of people who are huddled in groups, scattered across the room. I notice Caleb in the corner of the gym leant up against the wall with a glass in one hand, his grey hard assessing eyes flash to mine as if he can sense my eyes on him. He nods his head at me, before turning his attention to something else.

It doesn't take long for my eyes find the certain brunette I came here for. I notice that she sits at a table with one other girl who I have seen with her before and two guys. I frown as I look around the circle and focus my attention onto Sage, her shoulders are tense, and her hands are scrunched into fists at her sides.

What the fuck is happening over there?

I make my way to the table and get close enough to hear a snippet of the conversation.

"So where is your boyfriend tonight?" the idiot I think is named Kyle asks, addressing Sage. But before she can answer the other one buts in beating her too it.

"Maybe out murdering someone?" Conner taunts, as a smirk flashes across his face. That son of a bitch.

"Get lost," Sage replies, venom dripping off her words.