Chapter 30 ~ Chase

Chase's POV

"Well I wasn't about to stand back and watch as the boy I like is taken away in a police car," She says, just loud enough for me to hear.

Boy she likes?

My mind is spinning, as if someone has taken my head and is shaking it around like a snow globe, muddling my thoughts up and leaving them to drift around and land all over the place, leaving me utterly confused and scrambling to pick them up and put them in order. Before I am able to even process a response to Sage's dad and the police officer enter the car.

Them being this close in proximity to Sage and I creates a strong feeling of complete and utter tension. I roll my neck from side to side hoping to lift this imaginary weight that feels like it is crushing me.

There is one thing I am certain of, and that is that I cannot let Sage take the fall for me.

I can't and won't let her.

I turn my eyes to meet Sage's dad's in the rear-view mirror and there is no mistaking the pent-up anger that can be felt rolling off him in waves. He is beyond mad. He has just found out his daughter betrayed him and kept a massive thing from him. I don't know whether he's disappointed in his daughter or fuming at me for involving Sage in my problems. Or maybe both.

I can't contain the small smile that slips onto my face, she chose me.

She chose me over everyone else, and something within me shifts.

I feel a small spark of happiness.

We pull into the police station and I notice that Sage slightly shifts in her seat. She's nervous I can tell by the way she begins to fiddle with her hands. Sage's dad and Dylan leave the car and I lean over and tilt my head towards her.

"Calm down, it's going to be okay," I whisper, noticing that she slightly relaxes.

"Let's get this over with," she says glancing at me, giving me a small smile before she turns and gets out of the car, and I follow close behind.

We make our way up the steps, following close behind Sage's dad and the police officer. Sage's dad glances over his shoulder to check that we are still following as if he's worried that we will turn away and make a run for it.

"Sit here, and we will be back in a minute," The officer says before turning and making his way around a corner with Sage's dad following close behind.

"Sage," I say catching her diverted attention.

"Yeah?" she asks, her voice light and airy.

"Thanks for before," I mutter not sure what to say. "And about what you said in the car..." I begin but get interrupted by the same officer from before walking around the corner.

"Sage, you need to come with me," He says, and I watch as Sage's eyes flicker to me, clearly reluctant to leave.

"I'll be back in a second," she says before following the officer out of the room.

I watch her go, her red dress flowing after her. I'm still stunned that she defied her father in order to prove a point on which side she was on.

Mine.

And that was one of the best things I heard in a long time.

I sit and let my eyes flitter around the room, the beige colour makes me begin to feel nauseous and uneasy. I look at the clock wishing for the time to speed up and for Sage to be out of the interrogation room. She doesn't belong in there.