Chapter 21 ~ Sage

Sage's POV

I make my way to my dad's car which he thankfully isn't using tonight. I don't need to turn around to know Chase is still standing at the door watching me.

I look back at Chase's house before getting in the car and starting my drive home. His place is very different from mine. While his single storied house is a lot smaller than my double storied house, his obtains a feeling of comfort and love, unlike my lonely, empty house, something shifts inside me as I take note of that.

I turn the radio up loud as I drive home, a Rihanna song playing. As I pull into my driveway I can't help the sinking feeling in my stomach. I wish I was back at Chase's house, where warmth would engulf me.

I close my car door and make my way to the front door. I unlock it and enter my dark household. I turn on the lights and go to the kitchen. The only thing I feel like right now is tea. Nice, warm tea, to replace a feeling of warmth that this house is currently lacking.

I make my tea and then go sit on the couch. My mind flitters back to the weird day I had today.

First, Chase and I had a mini argument. Looking back I don't blame him for snapping at me. It must have been so invasive having so many people search his house but I guess the fact that they didn't seem to find anything is reassuring.

Then, he approached me at my locker wanting to talk so he could apologise. Chase didn't seem like the kind of guy that apologises so the rarity of the situation had made my heart flutter.

Surprisingly, he then invited me back to his house for dinner. I was beyond grateful for that, the last thing I had wanted was to come home to an empty house.

Ms Rivers was very nice. I could tell the mentioning of my last name had fazed her and I had instantly regretted saying it. However, she was very nice and welcoming. She looks a lot like Chase, very similar green eyes but a lighter shade hair colour, more of a light brown colour.

When Chase had left to take a call from god knows who, we had made small talk. She asked me about school and I asked her about work, she seemed uncomfortable when asked, but was quick to respond. She is currently unemployed but is looking for a job. Our conversation was interrupted when I heard a bang.

I immediately went to explore finding Chase with his fist in the wall. Must have been a bad phone call then. It left him on edge for the rest of the evening. He sat beside me with his knee bobbing up and down as if he were agitated and ready to jump up and leave.

His mum seemed to notice this to but didn't press him for information. I decided to add it to my list of 'Things I need to ask Chase.'

So far my list looks like this:

- How did your cheek get bruised the other week? (because you certainly didn't walk into something)

- Why did Brett ask me to tell you he was sorry?

- Is there a reason apart from family history that Brett's dad was just staring at us in the library?

- Who called you before dinner?

- Why did you punch a hole in the wall?

- Why were you so agitated during dinner?

I guess you could say I am a curious person.

I wish there was a way that I could help Chase to clear his name. If only Brett would return and tell everyone he's alright and Chase has nothing to do with his disappearance.

But is Brett really alright?

When I saw him he looked quite dishevelled and tired but he didn't look like he had been harmed. No one else was around monitoring him so maybe he left on his own free will? But why would he want to leave?

From what I had heard his life seemed pretty put together. He was Mr Popular with a fan base to prove it. Captain of the footy team with good grades and a good personality to match it.

So what is he running away from? Or who?

I realise I had completely forgotten to inform Chase about Brett's email draft I found last night. I make a mental note to tell him tomorrow at school.

I get up, my head pounding with unanswered questions. I make my way towards my bedroom but find myself standing outside my father's office. The door is closed today but that doesn't stop my ambition as my hand grabs the doorknob, turning it.

I am honestly surprised my father doesn't put a lock on his door. I guess he trusts me not to be a snoop. Maybe he should reconsider that thought.

I don't know what I'm looking for but I just feel the need for some validation. That maybe it is possible that Brett has run away on his own accord.

Most information regarding the case is at the police station and I'm not going to even consider breaking in there. My dad is extremely dedicated to his work tends to bring things home so he can work over hours.

I spy a folder tucked away in the corner and make my way over to it, curiosity sparking through my veins. I open it and find a report titled 'Disappearance Date.'

I find brief details outlining the sequence of events of Brett's disappearance:

4 pm – Fight in the school car park with Chase Rivers, a small crowd gathers, no one knew what it was about.

4.15 pm – Brett leaves the scene, Chase already gone

5 pm – Arrives home, father and mother both present, Brett does not say much but seems bothered by something according to Mrs Reed.

5.30 pm – Parents leave to attend a meeting regarding work.

5.32 pm – Brett writes an email draft addressed to Chase but does not send.

6 pm – Parents return and Brett is nowhere to be found. Try contacting him but left his phone at home. No items of value seem to be missing.

7 pm – After an hour of searching parents alert police. Police search starts.

I turn the page. I don't know what I am looking for but I can't stop my eyes from searching nonetheless.

This page is a report on Brett's room. I see a fingerprint test has been taken on things like doorknobs, his phone, bed etc. However, the tests came back giving no fingerprint identity but Brett's and his parents'. This is similar to the fingerprint tests taken around the rest of the house.

I guess this means if the police think he was abducted, he certainly wasn't taken from his house. Or maybe he left with nothing but the clothes on his back to make a runner. I wonder if the police have even considered that theory. But maybe they have and they just think the possibility of him still being alive is slim.

I saw him over two weeks ago so how do I know if he is even still alive. Shit. What if he is dead? What if I was the last person to see him? What if having told my dad weeks ago could have saved him?

I curse myself. I don't know if he is alive or not. I need to stop worrying about my part in this because I bet my dad will find him soon and everything will be alright. Chase can go back to being a normal teenager, well as normal as Chase Rivers can be considered. I can go back to worrying about things like homework.

Shit homework. I close the folder and leave his office. Homework is what I need to be focusing on right now. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

✰ Please vote and comment ✰