Chapter 24 ~ Chase

Chase's POV

Before my mind can function and register what she's doing the door shuts in my face, leaving me staring after her. What the hell is going on? Thank god I parked down the street to her house, or I would have been busted before he even set foot in the house.

This girl is slowly driving me insane.

I tune in and listen as I hear a soft thud, which must be Sage leaping into her bed. I almost chuckle at the thought. But the last thing I needed currently is to get caught shirtless in the detective's daughters' room right now. Shit, how did I end up in this situation?

My mind is fuzzy, filled with a haze. I rub my hand over my face trying to regain my thoughts back in order. Seeing the pure and utter worry in her blue eyes as she looked at my cut, made something in my stomach churn. I wasn't used to letting people in enough to care about me, but seeing how worried she was, made my chest ache. And when she blushed and nervously glanced away as she looked at my body makes her even more fucking adorable.

Shit what was happening to me?

The sound of footsteps lightly tapping up the hall catches my attention almost immediately. The sound of Sage's dads voice filtering into the room, and the words that come out of his mouth make my mind run blank.

"He was seen? Are you sure it was him?" he asks, there is an edge to his voice, that makes me feel unsettled.

There is a silence that follows, and every second becomes an hour as I strain to hear.

"Well that changes everything," he states keeping his tone quiet.

"Ok, yes I guess, ok I'll be there in 10," he says before I hear the footsteps retreat towards where they had originally come from.

Did this guy ever sleep?

The sound of the door shutting once again is all it takes before the wardrobe door is swung open, and a wide-eyed Sage assesses my face, not daring to glance down at my bare stomach.

"Well that was interesting," I state, and she nods her head along in a silent agreement.

"Yep," She says popping the p, her mind far away. A small frown begins to form amongst her soft features, and I almost feel the need to reach out and smooth the skin along her forehead to make the lines disappear.

"Sage," I mutter out catching her attention. "What's going on inside that mind of yours that has you frowning?" Her bewildered eyes flash to mine in a daze.

"Err.. nothing, but we must clean up your bruise before the swelling gets worse," she says taking my hand lightly in hers and leading me back to the bathroom.

"Sit," she commands as she leans back down to the drawers that are still slightly open from 10 minutes ago when we had been in here.

"Chase, I have been thinking of the right time to mention this but I found an email in my dad's office from the night that Brett went missing, and it was addressed to you but was never sent," she says hesitantly.

"What did it say?" I ask, keeping my voice low, trying to hide how curious I suddenly am.

"To meet him, and that you would know where, but it was never sent, so he must have changed his mind," She trails off, watching me closely.

I know where he would have meant, we had climbed a tree one night and talked about running away. Escaping to a place far better than our realities, we had sat and mapped out a plan, of what we would do and how we would do it. We had sworn that we wouldn't leave the other behind. That we would start over, in a new city, a country even, create new versions of ourselves, better and finally be free. Free, the word is bitter to me now.