Chapter 16 ~ Chase

Chase's POV   

He is here. Standing right in front of me giving me a smug look that makes my blood boil. I clench my fists tight digging my fingers into my palm holding back the urge to throw a punch and wipe that arrogant smirk off his face.

"Hanging out with the detective's daughter, I have to say that is one way to try and get your name cleared," He says looking over my shoulder to where I'm sure Sage was watching this play out.

"Get the fuck away from us," I growl out, watching as his cool façade cracks slightly before he catches himself slipping up and glares back.

"Nice bruise," he says. My anger spikes, and right now I don't care who he is, I am one second away from storming up to him and punching him until he was out cold.

Before either of us can say anything more the door to the library swings open and Sage comes up next to my side and looks at Brett's dad, analysing him. She then turns her attention to me and smiles lightly before addressing him.

"Is there a problem here?" She asks looking at him intently. He is quick to put a kind smile on his face the last thing he needs is to get into her bad books considering who her dad is.

"No, he was just leaving," I say cutting off the conversation.

I look back towards him and give him a warning look daring him to defy me. He nods and is gone without another word.

Sage turns her striking blue eyes to me and I stare intently back at her.

"What was that all about?" She asks her eyes dancing with unanswered questions.

"Nothing," I say with a shrug of my shoulders, wanting to drop the topic already.

"That didn't look like nothing" she persists.

"It's fine don't worry just a coincidence that we were here at the same time, anyway I think we have had enough studying for today don't you think?" I say watching as she has an internal battle with herself not to fight me on it. 

"Mm yeah I guess, I should probably get home soon anyway," she wavers off, glancing a look around the car park.

"Okay let's get out of here," I say strolling back into the library to collect our things and then make a beeline for the door eager to leave, thankfully Sage follows me silently her mind far away in thought.

We shut the doors to the car and I stare intently at the road in front of me, it is a silent ride for the most part.

As we pull up in front of her house I see that the lights inside are lit. Her father is home. I turn towards her and see that she's frowning at the front door as if the last thing she wants to do is get out of the car and walk up those stairs and face her dad.

"Did you tell him you were going to be late?" I ask staring down at her.

"No," she says as blood floods her cheeks. "I forgot," she mutters under her breath in embarrassment.

"Wow sweetheart were you just so eager to spend time with me that you completely forgot to tell your dad you were going to be late," I say smirking at her, making her cheeks redden even more if that was even possible.

"Whatever, bye Chase," she mutters, as she slips out of the car giving me the rude finger in the process. That girl really is something.

"Bye Sage," I say watching as her dad steps out of the front door and his eyes lock onto mine, his eyes widen for a split second before a frown forms on his face. Sending him a smirk back I drive away with a chuckle. Sage's dad was not happy, seeing me with his daughter two times in the last 48 hours. That much was clear.

Arriving home, I stroll up to the door and enter the house hurrying up the stairs to grab my bag for tonight. As I pull out the bag a photo falls from the shelves and floats down to the floor. I look down and pick it up.

It was a picture. Of Brett and myself.

We were both small and standing there with big toothless grins plastered on our faces. We were at a fair, I remember the day that was taken. Brett had wanted to go so badly, so we had pestered our parents to the point where they reluctantly had agreed. Brett had dragged me around to all the activities persisting that the specific ride or game was better than the previous. We were happy. We had sworn to each other that we would have to come back every year on the same date.

Some promises just didn't last.

I look away and scowl at the floor. Where the hell did he disappear to? He's gone and I'm dealing with all his crap. I'm getting the blame, while he's still looked upon like the good guy. I was, and still am taking the fall for Brett's problems. Every time we got into trouble when we were little I would always say it was me that instigated it. Me that came up with the idea. Brett's family cared about their reputation too much to have their son act anything less than perfect. But for me, it didn't matter I never really cared what people thought of me.

That's what drove us apart. I think Brett began believing, living and acting in his parents' fantasy world. They finally got him to be the picture-perfect son they had always wanted. It disgusted me. The fake image they put up made me sick. Brett began living a life that wasn't even his own. I wanted him to fight. He wanted to keep everyone happy. And then when the affair came out his world shattered. The blame began, and the arguments followed.

I shake my head trying to distract myself from the painful thoughts that are beginning to consume my head.

Looking at the time I realise that I am already late. Great. Aaron was not going to be happy with me. I grab my things and thump down the stairs making mum look up from what she was doing.

"Hey, where are you going?" she asks looking over the bag that is hanging over my shoulder In suspicion.

"Just out, I have to meet someone," I say giving her a small smile.

"Okay don't stay out too late, and stay out of trouble," she says lightly, leaning up to give me a light kiss on my bruise shaking her head.

"Love you," I say before turning and walking out the door.

I drive towards the warehouse. Whoever I am versing was in for it tonight. I have dealt with way too much drama in the last couple of days and I need to let off some steam.

Aaron addresses me with a firm nod of his head as he points towards the ring, a small smirk playing on his lips. I turn my attention and assess the man in front of me. He was punching the air and dancing around on his toes. I glance around the cheering crowd watching as they cheer him on as if he had already won the fight. Little did they know.

I step into the ring and my green eyes meet his blue ones. The whistle sounds around the room making people wince but turn their full attention onto us.

Let the fight begin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

✰ Please vote ✰