Chapter 33 ~ Sage

Sage's POV

***2 HOURS EARLIER***

I wake to the buzzing of my phone. I look over at May who is still sound asleep.

I pick up my phone and look at the number. It seems oddly familiar so I answer.

"Hello?" I croak down the line.

"Hey Sage, it's Caleb." Suddenly a rush of memories from last night come flooding back to me as a sick feeling erupts in my gut. "I'm outside your friend's house. I need you to leave now.'"

"What? What are you talking about?" I whisper down the phone as I sit up.

"Look I'll explain everything, I promise. But you need to come out here now," he says urgently.

"Ok," I say, uncertain of what to do.

I decide to leave my dress and heels at May's house, I can get them later. I choose not to wake up May. I'll just send a text saying something came up. Maybe once all this shit has passed I can actually tell her what has happened.

I creep down the stairs to the front door, making sure I don't wake any of May's siblings in the process. I almost freak when I see the clock in the hallway that reads 4 am. I had only been asleep for 2 hours.

I quickly and silently open the door to find Caleb leaning against his car.

He looks me up and down, before frowning at my feet.

"You forgot shoes," he says, looking at me as if that's the most important thing right now.

"I only have heels and I just spent the whole night in them so no thank you," I say walking towards the car. "What's this all about?" I ask as a shiver runs through me due to the cool night breeze.

"Take a look for yourself," he says, moving from his position and opening the car door.

I almost choke at the sight of Brett Reed sitting in the passenger seat, now looking at me with clear recognition.

I look at Caleb, then at Brett and then at Caleb again.

"Do you know a place where we can all talk?" Caleb asks me.

"Uh, I'm guessing my house will be free. My dad's probably still at the station," I say, still in complete and utter shock.

"Cool, get in," Caleb says as he walks around to the driver's side.

I stand there for another second, unable to comprehend what's going on.

Why is Brett in the car? Why is Brett in Mapleville? What the hell is going on?

I quickly get in the car, unsure of what to say.

Caleb immediately starts the engine, "So have you guys formerly met?" he asks. He takes our silence as a no. "Sage, this is Brett. Brett, this is Sage."

Brett turns to me, his blonde hair looking like it hasn't been washed in weeks. The dark circles under his eyes make me think he hasn't been sleeping in weeks either. His brown eyes study me.

"You never told anyone," he says. I don't know whether it's a question or a statement but I immediately know what he is talking about.

Brett is referring to the day I saw him, which is now weeks ago. He begged me not to tell anyone his whereabouts.

"Only Chase," I say, my voice low.

Chase. Just speaking his name is enough to make my heart start beating overtime. I wonder if he's still at the police station. I hope he's alright.