Chapter 23 ~ Sage

Sage's POV

"So are you going to invite me in or..." Chase trails off.

I feel my cheeks go red as I realise I'm only wearing a pair of PJ shorts and a jumper as well as my hair tied up in a messy bun. I feel his eyes scan me over from head to toe.

My embarrassment is short lived as I take in his face. His face that had only just recovered from bruising is once again a shade of purple, this time on his opposite cheekbone. This wound, however, looks worse than the previous. He looks tired with dark circles developing under his eyes.

"Oh my gosh, you're face!" I exclaim, opening the door wider, letting him in.

He gives me a thankful smile that makes my heart beat quicken. I don't fail to notice how he winces when he moves as if each step is more painful than the last.

"Sage we've already been over this. I can't help that I was blessed with these god-like looks. Surely you should be used to it by now," He says giving me a wink.

I roll my eyes, "Glad to see your ego isn't as damaged as your face." He just chuckles. I close the door behind him, thanking the heavens my dad isn't home to witness Chase stepping foot in this house.

He looks around at the corridor enveloped in darkness. I flick on a light, ushering him into the nearby bathroom where first aid supplies are likely to be. Only in the light do I take in the extremity of the bruise spread across his cheek.

I feel his eyes on me, watching me assess his face. "Well we need to clean this up," I state, avoiding eye contact due to the proximity in which we are standing.

"Aren't you going to ask me how this happened?" He asks sounding confused. I lift my gaze to meet his. His dark hair is a mess as per usual and his green eyes focusing solely on my blue ones.

"First I'm going to clean up your face and then you're going to tell me what happened," I say dragging him over to the vanity where I begin rummaging through drawers.

He positions himself so he is leaning on the vanity, he winces as he adjusts his weight. "What? Where else are you hurt?" I ask, not being able to hide the worry in my tone.

"Don't worry about it, you've already done enough," He says, his green eyes still watching my every move.

"Don't be stupid Chase! You're hurt," I say standing to meet his gaze. I cross my arms, letting him know there is no way in which he won't tell me.

He watches me for a few seconds before taking his jacket and off and lifting his black t-shirt up to reveal his tan skin. A long bruise runs up his left side as if he had been kicked in the ribs. His skin had broken and even though the injury is recent it is already the shades of blues and greens. I find my eyes scanning the rest of his bare skin and my cheeks immediately redden as I take in his sculpted abs. I quickly look back to his wound.

"Enjoy the view sweetheart?" He asks with a smirk on his lips.

"What the fuck happened to you, Chase?" I ask ignoring his comment.

"Well it's a long story," he sighs.

"Well, then you better get explaining," I say as I take out the first aid kit to begin attending to his wounds.

I try to prevent my already red face from turning an even darker shade as he removes his shirt so I can start with that injury.

"Just promise you won't tell your dad or like anyone," He asks sternly absorbing my reaction to his words closely. I look into his eyes, now full of seriousness and I find myself nodding.