Chapter 18 ~ Chase

Chase's POV 

What the actual fuck was going on right now?

Was the universe hell-bent on never giving me a break? My eyes angrily zero in on the numerous people beelining in and out of my front door as if they have the right to. My anger piques making me shift in my seat.

I was having an internal battle with myself about what to do. I can't help the burning feeling in my stomach that if I open this car door and proceed towards my front door the first person I see looking through my stuff is receiving a punch to the gut, uniform or not. I wasn't one who liked to share. What is mine, is mine.

My eyes flicker around the people, scanning over their meaningless grey faces until I notice one pair of deep stressed green eyes, who look as if they are about to shed endless tears. I assess her and notice the slight tremor of her hands, and with that, I am out of the car and racing towards the crowd that has gathered on the front lawn.

Mum looks up upon hearing my obvious distaste for the people around, and I notice the slight sparkle that returns upon seeing me. I muster a slightly softer look, trying my hardest to provide her with some sort of comfort.

"What the fuck?" I ask blatantly as I assess anyone who will look me in the eyes.

"Watch your language Chase," says a voice, the man stepping forward looks at me. Of course, of freaking course. Sage's dad's eyes flitter past mine and back to his clipboard which he holds firmly in his hands.

"Why are there people searching through our home?" I ask bitterly, not hiding the bite hidden beneath the words, ignoring his former remark.

"We need to search to see if there is anything related to Brett and his disappearance," a police officer adds in. Was this for real?

Was Brett ever not going to find a way to mess with my life?

"And why do you possibly think you're going to find what you're looking for here?" I state, guarded and closed, keeping my voice monotone and emotionless.

"Look, Chase, it's protocol. We have the right to look and you have to let us," Mark says assessing my reaction.

At that moment time stood still, I realise that this is never going to end, the more time that Brett spends not being found the longer the finger is going to be pointed in my direction. Nothing I can possibly say or do is going to persuade them that I am innocent, I have a history, and they have mediocre evidence but that is all they need.

I am a puppet and they have the strings. I am under their control, and that thought makes me livid.

A small hand grasps my shoulder and I turn my blazing gaze to my mother, who looks as tired as I feel, and something inside me snaps in two.

"Its fine, let them look, they have nothing to find anyway," she says her eyes searching mine.

I nod my head and hastily turn away from them all.

"I'll be back later," I mutter and hastily make my way back towards my only escape. My car.

As I drive the scenery blurs in one creating a grey blurred mess around me. My mind is far away from reality and I am more than happy to keep it there. I drive into the closest spot and jump out of the car.

Aaron's face flitters into view as I turn the corner, I almost grunt in annoyance upon seeing him. He seriously needs to give me a break, and leave me the hell alone.

"Chase," he says as his steel cold eyes meet mine.

"Yes," I say impatiently.

"Heard you are in deep in some police case," He states, looking, observing and assessing any type of reaction that I may possibly give him.

"Where'd you hear that?" I ask Aaron not playing into his hand one bit, keeping a poker face.

"I have my ways, I'm just checking that it isn't going to clash with your fighting." He's selfish, the epitome of selfish. I should have known that his first train of thought was to protect himself over anyone else.

"It won't," I state keeping my voice even.

"You better make sure of that," he counters. "And by the way you're in the ring tomorrow, it's important, don't be late," I watch as he turns, looks both ways before turning and retreating into the shadows.

I rub my hand over my eyes and let out a groan. I could not get a minute to myself lately.

"Well that was awfully interesting to watch," comes a voice from my right.

"Caleb," I state, "how did I possibly get so lucky for you to grace me with your presence?" I ask sarcastically and watch as a small smirk begins to play along his face.

"I'm just curious, as to how the almighty scary Chase Rivers is going to dig himself out of the hole he has created this time," He asks amusedly. Caleb knew how to push my buttons and right now he was doing a perfect job of it.

I wouldn't go as far as to call Caleb and me friends, but more like acquaintances. He was an outcast, but most likely by choice, as if he found life more interesting when sticking to himself, and never getting too close, or letting someone in. He remains on the outskirts and borders of society, watching and observing. And with that alone, he has gathered my respect. I have watched for too long people becoming obsessed with the idea of friends and appearing normal. Caleb caught my attention because it's almost like the thoughts of fitting in repulsed him.

And sometimes outcasts have to rely on each other from time to time.

I look Caleb up and down from head to toe, absorbing the amount he has aged since I last saw him, he is almost as tall as me. He wears a beanie, and a black sweatshirt that hangs loosely, and black jeans, he notices me staring and impatiently taps his foot, waiting for me to respond and shift the attention from him.

"Get lost Caleb," I say looking as his eyes spark with mischief.

"Now, now Chase, don't get too worked up I was just about to leave," he says toying with me. "But before I go, I wanted to ask why I didn't hear from you for months and then suddenly get a call out of the blue asking me to find a certain brunette's address?" he trails off and then his eyes meet mine again.

"But now I think I've figured it out. The suspect and the detective's daughter, what an unlikely duo, adorable isn't it?" he trails off silently laughing and he has the nerve to send me a wink.

I, on the other hand, am very far from amused.

"Caleb" I growl fed up with his games.

"I'm going, I'm going," He mutters out, flashing me a cheeky grin. "Bye Chase," he says over his shoulder as he turns and leaves.

The thing with Caleb is that when he says bye, you never know for how long you will go without seeing him. He was never one to stay in one place for too long. Never one to get attached. But he was reliable. And from time to time we needed each other.

I turn and begin walking back towards my car, my appetite completely lost.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

✰ Please vote and comment ✰