Chapter 31 ~ Sage

Start from the beginning

Sageeeeeee

R u still coming back to my house?

Sage, I am about to be picked up where r u?

Sage pls respond

I'm in the car my brother is so annoying and wouldn't even wait 5 minutes for u

I hope you're ok

Pls respond

I quickly call her. She picks up on the first ring.

"Sage, what the hell? Where did you go?" She asks, voice full of concern.

"Look it's a long story. Is it alright if I get dropped at your house?" I ask, hoping the answer will be yes. There is no way I want to go stay at my house and have to deal with the wrath of my father.

"Yeah of course just text me when you get here," she says.

"Thank you so much! You're the best," I say and hang up as I see a car pull into the parking lot. The dark car comes to a stop in front of me.

The front window rolls down, revealing a boy my age wearing a beanie over his dark hair, trying to tame the messy locks. His grey eyes analyse me, noticing I'm still in my formal dress and heels. Hopefully, my makeup is still intact and my mascara hasn't run.

"I'm Caleb," he says giving me a slight nod of his head.

"Sage," is all I say as I make my way around to the other side of the car and hop in.

"So where am I taking you?" he asks.

I give him May's address and he gives a slight nod.

"Just so you know I don't own a taxi service. I'm only doing this because Chase asked for it and you're his girl," he says, not taking his eyes off the road.

His girl. Am I Chase's girl?

"Got it," I say, deciding to let his comment slide.

"Rough night?" he asks giving me a quick glance.

"You could say that," I mumble. Desperate to change the topic I ask, "So how did you and Chase become friends?"

"I guess you could say we both don't quite belong. Somewhat outsiders in society, so we came to sometimes depend on each other when needed, he says, his grey eyes lacking emotion. "Is Chase still at the police station?" He asks, changing the topic back, deflecting it from himself.

"Yeah," I say. I hadn't wanted to leave him there but he had urged me to go. Besides, I couldn't bear to be in the same building as my father.

"Don't worry I'm not going to pry for details. I'm not like that," he says giving me a small smile.

I can see why Caleb and Chase are friends. They don't care about the gossip. They'd much rather live in isolation.

The rest of the car ride is silent. Silent but not awkward.

He pulls up at May's house.

"Thank you, Caleb," I say giving him a small smile.

"All good. Tell Chase to call me when he's out," He says glancing over at me and giving me a small smile. I nod and get out of the car. I text May and the front door to her house opens almost immediately.

"Oh my gosh, Sage. Are you alright?" She asks, her brunette hair tied up in a messy ponytail. She has changed out of her dress and is wearing track pants and an oversized T-shirt.

"Yeah I'm fine just tired," I say as she opens the door wider and lets me in.

She shows me to her room, leading me along a corridor with numerous doors neatly lining the walls. Since when did May have so many siblings? We reach her room and she lends me some clothes to wear.

May can tell I'm not ready to talk and thankfully doesn't push me for answers.

My eyes feel heavy and all I want to do is cry but I push the tears back. I think of Chase. I wonder if he is still at the police station. Surely he will text me when he comes out.

It isn't fair. I am just as guilty as him yet he is the one who is going to be punished. I think of the way he cupped my cheek and wiped my tears away in the police station. I don't think I will ever forget the words he said to me, "We're going to figure this out. No matter what."

I finally fall asleep, his words replaying over and over in my mind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

✰ Please vote and comment ✰