Lunch

Haidar

  Zahra's story is touching, but she's put me in a position that believing her is not an option. I don't believe a thing she's saying. She was a good person when I met her, she was in a difficult stage in her life. I could remember when we first met, how shallow she was.

     I know she was depressed and I know she said if I wanted us to be friend I couldn't ask her why she was. I remember her saying she wasn't loveable when I confessed my love to her.

    But could this be it? Or is this just another one of her tricks, another of her deception. She accepted that she wasn't pregnant too soon for me to believe her.

     Jamaima seemed pretty convinced though, she shed tears and sobbed in between. Even if her story is true, it was selfish of her to hurt me because she was lonely.

     I'm lost and confused, she gave too much information for me to digest at once. What she said was about to take my sleep away. Everything happened so quickly it was unbelievable, from drugging her to the test to her story. Its all too much to take in, I need time for it to settle in then we'll decide on what to do.

***
As soon as the first light of dawn shined upon earth, I opened my eyes. I prayed and waited for the sun to rise, I need to see Zahra. She can't deceive me any longer.

     " Why should I believe you"

    "Haidar, I'm not a fool. I know when to stop, I know when I've gone to far"

    " Then clearly you know you should have stopped a while ago"

      She smiled sadly " Do want to know why I didn't deny it when you said I wasn't pregnant?"

    I nod "why?"

    " because your drug was less effective. I was conscious, I felt the sting when a string pierced my skin and I a man speak. Something about taking a blood sample to a friend in the lab.

     I knew it was time to come clean. It was obvious there was nothing I could do to get you back, I was so caught up in getting you my plan was full of blunders.

    When I texted you that I was pregnant, it was when I found out you left for Nigeria. I knew Jamaima would forgive you if you explained to her and that I would be at lost. Pregnancy was the only was I could think of for you to marry me.

    Gosh, its too hard to explain everything. But I've tried too hard, its obvious you don't love me" she sighs then looks me in the eye
  "I wish for you to divorce me,I want to find my father"

    Mixed emotions flowed through me. Happiness, Sadness,Excitement, Disappointment. I was happy see was finally letting go of what wasn't hers and I was disappointed she was giving up. I was excited to live with my lover without problems and I was sad that this had to happen, this was the end of 5years of leaning on each other.

     "I will give you a divorce, but you will stay here till we find you father"

    "We?"

   "I'm going to help you find your old man"

     Her eyes became teary "thank you haidar, for everything"

    "You are most welcome"

     Jamaima peaked through the door "We need to go to the lunch Mà invited us to"

     Ohh, it totally slipped my mind. I get up quickly to get ready.....

      "Well you guys are on time " Mà comments. We were really late, like almost didn't make it late.

       "We are sorry Mà, we were caught up in traffic" I move closer to kiss her cheek, she tilts her head "for 2hours?"

    "Mà just let it go, we are sorry"

     "Lalala Haidar! Dan kayi mata biyu kana ganin ka girma ko; Ohhhh Haidar! you think you're all grown now that you're a husband of two"

    I dropped my head and sigh

     "Mà that's not what I mean, I'm just really stressed out"

     " Whatever, Jamaiama how are you and Zahra our bride how are you my dear. Hope all of you are well, ba kishi ko?; No rivalry yeah?" I look at jamiama who just nods

    "Yes Mà, we are fine"

   "Thank you for inviting me Mà " Zahra spoke

     "oh its nothing, you're family now.....about that..."

     She turns to me and gestures for me to pick my phone, I look at her in confusion. She ignores me and types something on hers then send it to me

     "You've gat some explaining to do young man"

     I look up and smile at her, then nod. I look down and type......

      "Yes " I send

     "Let's get you ladies something to eat. Any preference?" Mà asked

       "No" the answer in unison

       We order and open a conversion we all engage in. Mother asked a few questions which some were answered some dodged.

       "Your father traveled out of town today. He asked me to check on you"

     "When will he return?"

     "In two weeks,he will be meeting an old friend on his trip" she shrugged "I guess that's why he'll be staying longer than usual"

      I furrow my brow "A friend?"

     "Yeah, umm.... What was his name again... I think it's Muhammad Bingila"

     Zahra dropped her fork and look up at Mà, with shaky voice she asked "Muhammad Adamu Bingila?"

      Mother looked at her with surprise "You know him?"

     Zahra didn't say anything, she just sat there immobile.

    Mother noticed her quick change in mood but told her tale anyway "He's known your father since they were children, his wife left him a long time ago and he wasn't heard of for sometime. He came to your father years later and they started business together, he met his recent wife on a business trip and they got married a year later. They have a son now, I'm not sure of his age but he's just a child maybe 10"

      "They must be really close with Abba, how comes we don't know him" jamaima asked

    "Your father wouldn't tell me why, but I believe there's a bad memory attached to this place that he's trying to avoid. The last time I saw him was about 9 years ago"

     "Did he have a daughter?" Zahra finally awaken from her stupor

    "Not that I know of"

    I try to mark the dots, why was Zahra so lost at the mention of a random man's name. Whatever it is, I'll ask her when we get home.

      Who do we think this Bingila man is?

    And 9years is a pretty precise time it almost rings a bell.

     Well I guess we'll find out soon.

    I'm hopping I can complete this book soon.😪❤