Chapter 28 ~ Chase

Mulai dari awal

"Aw is somebody sad their boyfriend didn't turn up?" Kyle asks mockingly.

This is my cue to intervene.

"What are you talking about? I'm right here" I address them both, watching as their arrogant grins they were sporting seconds earlier are completely wiped off their faces. "Now if you guys are done being douchebags you can leave these ladies alone," I state.

I look down at Sage and watch as she looks me up and down, before blushing slightly and meeting my gaze. I smirk in reply.

"Why do you look so surprised to see me sweetheart?" I tease looking down at her.

Before anything more can be said I look up at the two boys.

"I suggest you two get lost right about now," I state looking as they both get up to leave. Good.

"You actually came," she says, not hiding the surprise in her voice.

"Well as I told you I had to see what you look like in that dress," I reply, but before she can reply I continue, "And let me tell you, you didn't disappoint," I finish.

"You don't scrub up too bad yourself," She says her bright blue azure eyes meeting mine.

I turn my attention to the girl next to her.

"Do you mind if I steal Sage away for a minute?" I ask.

"Uh no, she's all yours. I need to go find Alice anyways..." she trails off but not before sending Sage a small wink, which doesn't go unnoticed by me.

"Let's dance," I say taking Sage's hand in mine and leading her to the dance floor.

Once we arrive I turn to face her. Sage looks up at me and offers me a small smile. Before she can possibly overthink this more than she already is, I grab her hips and pull her closer to me. She remains still as her eyes flash to mine.

"This is the time that you're meant to put your hands around my neck sweetheart," I say, and wait as she shakes her head lightly letting out a small laugh before she does as I said.

She places her head gently against my shoulder, and I worry that she may hear the fact that my heartbeat has slightly sped up from having her this close to me.

"What changed your mind into coming?" she mumbles into my chest as we slowly sway to the music.

"I think we both know the reason I showed tonight," I say lightly, leaning my head on top of hers, and let her soft scent of roses engulf me, making me let out a sigh of content. I could happily stay like this all night.

She looks up at me from under her lashes, and my heart stalls slightly in my chest.

I need some fresh air or I am going to kiss her again, in front of the whole school this time.

"Would you like to go outside for some fresh air?" I ask looking down at her.

"Yeah sure, just let me grab my purse," she replies before turning, and before I can protest she slips out of my arms and makes her way back the table that she was previously seated at.

I make my way towards the door meeting her there. She looks up at me once she arrives.

"Let's go," she says, before turning and making her way outside, slipping her hand in mine and pulling me along with her.

But before we are able to make it to the end of the steps I notice something that replaces the small smile on my face with a frown.

What are Sage's dad and a police officer doing here at the school dance?

Sage looks back at me in confusion wondering why I have stopped in my tracks and then follows my eyes to where her dad and another man in uniform are making their way towards us.

"Dad?" Sage asks confusion clear in her question.

"Not now Sage. Go inside," her dad commands before his eyes turn to me, not before noticing our intertwined hands, causing a disapproving scowl to appear on his face.

"Chase you need to come with us immediately. We have received new evidence in Brett's case and we need you down at the police station now," The police officer says addressing me sternly.

"What are you talking about? You've already searched my house and found nothing. What have you suddenly found that would change anything at this point?" I ask confused. I feel Sage's hand tighten around mine.

"We have reason to believe you have been lying about not knowing the whereabouts of Brett throughout his disappearance," he states meeting my cold glare.

What the fuck?

Before I am able to respond he holds up his phone showing a photo.

A photo that makes my heart stop beating.

A photo that makes it feel like someone has grabbed my throat and squeezed the air out of my lungs making it hard to breathe.

A photo that makes me look completely and utterly guilty.

Shit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

✰ Please vote and comment ✰