Laddie's Nightmare

I smiled over towards Lucy as I set my glass down on the table, "I think I'm going to go ahead and turn in for the evening." She wrapped her arm around my shoulders as we walked towards the stairs, "Sleep well, Sage. Lots of fun planned for tomorrow!" She gave a gentle smile as I walked up the stairs, waving slightly back to her, "Goodnight." My thoughts wound themselves back around to the fact that the boys were out feeding. Davids' face flashed in my mind. In my heart I know that asking to him live off something that didn't feed him well was being cruel and selfish...but wasn't killing a person the same thing? I sighed and stripped down to my underwear before crawling into bed. the sheets were cold against my skin but soon I was fast asleep in the warmth that they captured from me.

      A few hours later, I felt David getting into bed and woke up slightly. I rolled over and wrapped my arm around his chest. I could feel his breathe move a few strands of my hair that tickled my nose. He kissed the top of my head, "Didn't mean to wake you." I shrugged and propped myself up a bit, "It's alright....I have something that I wanted to talk to you about." He nodded for me to continue, "Ricky.....back at the mall, when we first met. Did you, you know, feed on him?" His grip tightened a bit, "Yes." Davids raspy voice faded into the dark space we both occupied as I took the answer in. Slowly I laid back down, resting my head against his chest, "He was a bad guy..." David took in a deep breath, "Yeah..." I kissed his chest softly before going to sleep.

     I awoke with his arms wrapped around me, holding me against his chest tightly. Carefully I wiggled downward to get out of his grasp. The sheet tangled around my foot as I got out of bed, causing me to fall towards the floor pulling it with me as I went -oof-. "Whoops..." I shook the sheet off as I threw some clothes on and headed towards the bathroom. On my way I heard sniffling coming from one of the rooms. As I approached I recognized the voice; it was Laddie. I gently tapped on the door, "Laddie, can I come in sweetie?" The sniffling stopped as small footsteps came from the other side of the door, which swung open slightly, sniffling he spoke, "Sage? How come you're up?" He grabbed onto my hand and walked me over to his bed. He pulled himself back up on it as I answered, "I'm just not tired anymore so I decided to get out of bed. How about you?" I moved some of his hair out of his face, "I had a scary dream..." I nodded, "Oh...that's never any fun. I hate scary dreams. Want to tell me about it?"

        He looked up at me before lunging; wrapping his arms around my waist, crying, "I was all alone in the woods being chased by monsters and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't find a way out. I yelled for help but no one ever came...not even you." It broke my heart to hear how upset he was, "Laddie, honey, it was only a dream. I promise no one would leave you alone in the woods. Everyone here would come if you called us." He nodded into my chest, "Sage?" I looked down at him, "Yes?" He put his ear against my chest again, "Do you have two hearts?" I looked down at him with creased eyebrows, "What? Why would you think that?" He shrugged as he pulled away, wiping his eyes.

        He curled up back under the covers and played with the hem, "Thanks for coming in...I'm gonna go back to sleep." I nodded and kissed his forehead before heading out of the room. My heart began racing as I ran back upstairs to the bedroom, needing to pee being put on hold. I quickly got back in bed and tried waking David, "David! David, wake up!" He stirred slowly, "Sage? Whats wrong?" He sat up slowly as I tried to talk, "David...can vampires have children?" He chuckled, "Well...yeah, of course. Why?" I took in a deep breath, "Is it like a normal pregnancy or different?" He tilted his head and grabbed one of my hands, "Babe, what's wrong? Are you worried about having kids?" I shook my head, my hand wrapping around his, "No....I- I mean, Laddie had a nightmare so I was comforting him and-and he said he could hear two heartbeats." David's eyebrows creased, "What?... No. It's only been a few days. I mean...if you were, they take the same nine months and a heartbeat wouldn't be able to be heard for a few weeks." I nodded and took in a deep breath, "Okay...so I'm not?"

       David rubbed his face in a frustrated manner, "I don't know...Let's see get a test tonight before we go out and you can take it. It should work for a vampire pregnancy too." He pulled me into him, "Everything will be fine. I promise." I sighed, hugging him back, "I know." He kissed the top of my head, "What time is it?" I shrugged, "I'm not sure...." Pulling back the curtain to look at the clock he sighed, "Its almost sunset. I'll leave as soon as I can and get the test. You stay here; get ready for dinner and mass." I nodded, "Okay."

          Soon David made his way into town. I looked in the mirror and started doing my make-up when a knock came from the door. I jumped not having expecting it, "Come in." I watched through the mirror as Star walked in. She smiled, "Thanks for taking care of Laddie this earlier." I nodded, "Of course." She walked up behind me, her reflection was somewhat faded, "Here let me help." I smiled as she picked up a brush, " Thanks." In silence she brushed and fixed my hair, "So....everyone couldn't help but hear your conversation with David..." My eyes widened, "This whole thing is so weird. I keep forgetting you all have super senses." She laughed, "Yeah..." She rubbed my shoulders, "I'm sure Laddie was just still sleepy and imagined it." I gave her a faint smile, "Yeah..." Star helped me with my eye-shadow and then I did her make up and hair in return. She squealed, "We look so good!" I laughed with her as she gave me a hug.

     I slipped into the dress that David had picked out and went to wait downstairs for his return. It became harder and harder to not go to the bathroom but I had to wait. Sam and Laddie were watching cartoons while the guys sat at the table talking. Star walked out from behind me and sat in Michael's lap, joining in. I stood leaning against the doorway, tapping my foot anxiously. Finally, David came walking in the front door carrying a small bag. His eyes met yours as he approached, "Sorry it took so long. The stores were really busy." I smirked, "It's alright. I'm not mad...this time." He chuckled as I took the bag and practically ran into the bathroom. I opened it to find three tests, probably to make sure the first one wasn't wrong if it read....I shook my head and opened them all after reading the directions several times so I wouldn't screw it up.

       Having completed the tests I watched the time on the clock tick by. What if they were positive...would we be good parents? Fuck...we aren't even married yet...Would David even want it? My heart raced as the three minute mark came. I took in a deep breath as I closed my eyes tightly, "You have to look," I whispered to myself. I opened my eyes and looked down at the test each one individually, "Oh my god..." The door burst open, David running in. I turned to him, my mouth opened but nothing would come out. He grabbed my shoulders, "Sage?" He looked at me but him and the room seemed far away, unreal; I started breathing quickly and felt light-headed. He looked over at the tests, the same look appearing on his face as he looked back towards me, "Sage...we're pregnant..." Slowly I nodded, speaking quietly before the room went black, "...Pregnant..."