A Funeral

I sat in the hospital room watching the machines help my grandma to breathe. It hurt my heart to see her laying there like that. I hadn't gone home, I had the cab take me directly to see grandma first. My parents were on their way back from getting something for me to eat and I was just waiting for grandma to wake up so we could talk. I wanted to tell her I loved her, and that small paws didn't hiss at her crocheted booties anymore...and about David and his family.

    I ate my food slowly, just staring at the plate. My dad was holding grandma's hand and my mom was holding my free one. "Sage Alivia Pearl?" I looked over at the bed, Grandma's eyes were open and she wore a slight smile, "Grandma!" I ran over to the opposite side my dad was on sitting slightly next to her, "How are you feeling?" Her smiled grew bigger, "Well, it's almost like an in-between feeling Sage. I finally understand what your grandpa meant when he passed." I nodded at the memory of grandpa passing, he had said the same thing. My parents looked at each other and then they both walked out of the room as quietly as possible. My eyes started to water, "Grandma...I'm going to miss you so much..." She smiled, "Oh Sage...I won't leave you, sweetie. I'll be here and here." She pointed at my heart and my head. "I love you sweetie, but death is a part of life. We all die sometime; well we are supposed to anyway." I looked at her quizzically. She looked around as though she didn't want anyone else to hear what she was about to say, "I know what attacked you and your friend that night. Your parents didn't want me to tell you but now I think it's okay...it was vampires." I raised my eyebrows, "Grandma! Vampires don't exist. It was a gang of messed up people who wanted to be vampires." The look in her eyes turned into sadness, "No...they exist. I've seen them before, when I was young and lived outside of Portland in a small town. Except they didn't feed on humans, they called themselves 'vegetarians' and lived off animals." I sighed, "Okay, so what do I do now. Am I marked for hunting or something?"

     Grandma shrugged, "I don't know, but you survived and usually people don't do that. So maybe you need to do some digging of your own." I nodded and proceeded to tell her about things back home. She chuckled when I told her about small paws and her booties. Minutes turned into hours and eventually she started to dose off again. I gently began to get up and go outside to talk to my parents until she grabbed my hand and held me there, "Please, Sage...give David and his family a chance...there is more to them than meets the eye." I smiled, "Of course grandma. I love you." She nodded and dozed off. My parents took me home so I could bathe, we would talk to the doctor tomorrow. "You know mom; Grandma didn't seem to be in any type of pain. Maybe she'll pull thru." She shook her head slowly, "Sage she's on a lot of pain medication..." I sighed and thru myself on my old bed. I called David and let him know that I would be staying all week and Sam volunteered to take care a Small Paws. Then I called my boss and let him know what was going on. After that I tucked myself in bed for a very sleepless night.

    The next morning, my parents woke me up, "Sage, breakfast is ready!" I smiled despite the current situation, "I'm up; be down in a minute." Since it was cloudy outside, I decided to wear a sweater dress with leggings and then hopped on down the stairs. My mom had placed the orange juice on the counter so I proceeded to pour each of us a glass and set them at the table. As we both sat down my mom raised a curious eyebrow, "So...who is this David?" I blushed as an image of him formed in my mind, "He's my boyfriend." My blush deepened into a crimson color as I tried not to look at her while I drank my juice. She motioned for me to continue so I did, "He and his family just moved into town about three weeks ago." Dad gave me a look while placing eggs and bacon on our plates, "And he already has boyfriend status?" I sighed knowing full well what he was addressing, "Dad, I know...but he's like a magnet. His whole family is really, and they are all quite welcoming. Plus, they all seem to like me, I'm pretty sure they even beat up Ricky after a scene he caused in the mall." I began to eat my breakfast when he placed a hand on my shoulder, I looked up into his eyes, "Just be careful, sweet pea." I gave him a small smile, "I will dad."

    Afterwards we made our way to the hospital, where we found grandma talking the nurses' ear off. I looked out towards the oncoming rain clouds before sitting down in a chair close to the bed. With the nurse gone, grandma began to talk to us about her dream the previous night, "Oh it was absolutely wonderful. Jerry was waiting for me the gates to Heaven and then we went and worshiped our Lord together." My heart stopped for a second at the thought but I gave her an outward smile. The nurse came back after a few hours and dismissed us, "I'm sorry but she needs her rest." Instead of driving home, my parents thought that we should stop by grandmas' house to see what all they had to look forward to messing with.

    My mom used the extra key under the herb pot to open the door. I sighed sitting on the couch as they went room to room. Grandma didn't have many possessions left. After grandpa passed away she sold most of what they owned. Bored from waiting on my parents, I made my way to the library; or what used to be the spare bedroom. I reached for a book on the top shelf but stopped as the corner of my eye caught sight of something. It was an enveloped size box, ornate in design. I sat down at the writing desk and began to open it, "now, why haven't I ever seen you before?" Shuffling through the contents, my heart began to beat faster. The box contained letters and photos of the 'vegetarian vampires' that my grandma had mentioned the day before. They stayed in touch with her as she had helped them out on a few occasions. I left the room and went back to the car as my head hurt from this new information. Back at home we received a telephone call...my grandma had passed away a few moments before. I crawled into bed letting the grief carry me into a deep sleep. Over the next few days I helped organize the funereal and contact family members. Saturday, we buried her.

     I tried my best to converse with those that came but the sadness was overwhelming. That night we all sat around a fire outside exchanging stories about grandma from throughout her life. The happy memories are what brought me around from my stupor. By Monday my parents were practically kicking me out of the house. My mom grabbed my hand as dad loaded my things in the Taxi, "You've helped all you can. Its time for you to go back to your home. You have a job and friends that probably miss you. Trust me, we have things handled here."