Compromise

I called Dr. Greenfield and had her fit me in for an appointment in an hour. I dressed quickly, not bothering with make-up. I called a Taxi to take me to my car; the ride to her office was full of angst and thinking about how I could talk about this without talking about it. It was only a few minutes before she called me into the room, "Now, Sage, what's wrong?" I hesitated, "What if you found out that something that shouldn't exist actually did?" She raised an eyebrow, "Like what? Santa?" I laughed, "Sure." She sighed, "Well, I guess depending on what it was, you would have to decide if it was a good thing or bad thing. What was the cause of its creation?" I nodded, "It's David. He and I have been dating. Last night I found out something about him that frightened me at first...then I had a dream and now I don't know what to do." Dr. Greenfield sat up and grabbed my hand, "It's okay, Sage. First, find out what made him into the man he is today. Then decide if you can continue your relationship with him." We discussed work and the party the previous night before she sent me home.

     I dressed for work and ate some food. Small Paws ran to the door when the doorbell went off. I opened it to find Sam standing there, "Sage, can I come in?" I nodded, "Sure, Sam." He walked nervously to the couch, "Look, I don't mean to butt into anything but even if you decide not to date David anymore, I hope you'll still be friends with me." I sighed sitting down next to him, "Of course Sam! David has nothing to do with our friendship okay?" He smiled at me, "Good, I was worried." I laughed a little, "Well, you don't need to be. I am afraid I have to go to work though." He nodded and we both left the house. Bradley and Samantha were the only other people working this evening so it was busy. I didn't even notice how fast the shift was going by until Samantha said, "Your boyfriend should be coming in anytime now." She winked at me, I smiled, "I don't think they'll be coming tonight. They were pretty worn out from last night." That wasn't a total lie. She nodded and went back to her tables. I had trouble focusing on the rest of my shift. David had listened and given me time to think. I know it must have been hard for him, I miss him too, even if it was only one night. After work I went home, made dinner and went to bed.

     I didn't wake up until 2 pm and felt a lot better than I did the day before. A knock on the door brought me out of the kitchen. It was Sam, "Hey, I was wondering if you would show me whatever you have out in the shed." I grinned, "Yeah, come on." I waved for him to come through the house with me. I unlocked the doors and placed rocks in front of them to keep the shed open. Sam walked up to some of the figures I had made already, "Whoa, these are awesome! Can you eat it?" Laughing I pulled out a tightly closed box, "Yes, you can. Most people don't like the taste though. Here want to make something?" I offered him some pliable gum paste. He snickered, "It's just like play dough." I also began to work some in my hands, thinking about what I wanted to make. Soon I had formed a round body and decided to make a panda. Sam grunted, "This is awful, how do you do it?" I looked up at him to see what roughly looked like a turtle, "I've had more practice. Plus, your turtle isn't all that bad." He shook his head, "It's supposed to be a giraffe, damn it." I stifled my laughter as he smashed it with a punch. He stayed over for dinner; the phone rang interrupting our meal. When I answered it, Lucy was on the other end, "Hi, Sage. Is Sam over there?" I informed her that he was to which she asked me to go ahead and send him home. He left, waving at me after he walked down the driveway. When the cleaning was done I went to bed.

     I showered and dressed in something casual, then I waited for sunset. We needed to talk, not only David and I but his family too. As soon as the sun finished setting I made my way over to their home. I didn't get the chance to knock on the door before Laddie opened it, "Sage!" He smiled grabbing my hand, "I'm glad you're here." I smiled down at him and then he led me into the living room where everyone was gathering, I guess they could smell me or something. Lucy smiled gently, "Hello, dear. I wasn't expecting you to come back." I hesitated giving her a small smile instead of speaking. David and Michael came down from upstairs. David stood up straighter, waiting for whatever I had to say, "I need to talk to you all. I'm sure David has let you know what happened the other night." Max nodded, "Yes, unfortunate turn of events I must say." I raised an eyebrow, "I for one don't appreciate lies and am glad to finely know the truth." He looked taken aback.

     I continued, "This may be personal but I need to know how David became a vampire. I want to know how all of you became vampires." One-by-one I learned how their lives had changed. David began to speak after Max finished explaining how he was born a vampire, "What I told you before on the back porch was true. I grew up in the country on a large farm, in a large family. I was the oldest son out of 8 kids, 22 years old. Our father died during a farming accident and when the issue arose I had to go to war; defending my country and my family. It was our third week in battle, I was exhausted emotionally and hadn't slept well the night before. During a skirmish that day, I was stabbed by an enemy with their bayonet and left by my company to bleed to death. Max and a woman called, the widow Johnson, found me before I fainted and offered me a way out of death. I feared dying and took it...now I am here and have another family, one that will never die." I learned that David sired his brothers; all either dying or having had a bad life. Then I learned that Lucy was Max's caller. The one person who was meant for him. This led to Michael being brought into the family, Lucy following him. It's very rare to find a caller; apparently, I was David's. Usually if found the vampire can't control themselves from attacking and feeding on the person but if the vampire is strong enough they can be together. They then explained what happened in the woods during our game of paintball. I looked over at David, he looked down towards the carpet. Sam then began to talk about becoming a vampire after he turned 21.

    I slumped back into my chair trying to absorb all the new information, "Wow..." was all I could muster. David sat down next to me, "Sage? Are you going to be okay?" I nodded, "I think I need something to drink." Star ran to the kitchen and brought me a glass of ice water, "Here." I thanked her. Drinking it all down, I looked up at them, "Do you all feed on humans or are some of you vegetarians?" David looked at me shocked, "How do you know about vegetarian vampires?" It was then my turn to explain about my grandmother and her past, "She is the one who told me to give you all a chance. I think she figured it out as I told her about you all. I only started to piece it together afterwards." Star smiled, "Lucy, Laddie and I are vegetarians." I smiled, "Good, I'm glad some of you are." I looked at David and put my hand on top of his, "I'm hungry, would you all mind if we ate?" Lucy laughed, "Of course, come on into the kitchen and I'll make us something." David walked next to me, keeping his hands behind his back.

    He sat down across from me, searching my face for any clues on what I was going to decide about them; about us. I looked down at my thighs, "David." He leaned forward, "Yes?" I continued to look down, "I don't want to stop seeing you...in fact I'm in love with you. Very much so." I heard his chair move. He bent down cupping my face in his hands, "Good, because I am in love with you as well." He kissed me tenderly and I continued, "There has to be a compromise. I can't stand the thought of you killing people...so you have to promise me that you'll try to be a vegetarian." He kissed my temple, "I promise." I smiled hesitantly at him, "Thank you." Sam came into the kitchen and sat down where David had been previously, "Well are you two going to get married?" I shot him a look and then looked at David who has a smirk on his face as I answered, "I don't know. Not right now, anyway."