A Game of Paintball

I was happy to be heading home, but my heart was heavy with the fact that vampires may exist. When my plane landed, I phoned a Taxi up to take me home. If I was right about David and his family, they wouldn't be able to pick me up during the day. As soon as I got home I called Trent, "Sage? How are you? Did everything go okay?" I answered all his questions and then asked if I could come work that evening. He hesitated, "Of course...but only if you're ready to come back to work. I know what it's like to lose someone." I reassured him that I was fine before we hung up and I proceeded to get ready to go in. On my way inside the club I noticed several new missing persons' photos hanging up on the wall. My gut dropped as I walked in and Bradley saw me first. He rushed over to my side embracing me in a crushing hug, "Oh, Sage, how are you honey?" I looked up at him with a small smile, "I'm okay, but it'll take time...you know?" He nodded as Vicky came running down the stairs at me, "I know someone who will be happy to see you!" She giggled and punched my arm playfully.

     Bradley rolled his eyes, "He's been in more a weird mood than normal since you've been gone." I smiled widely, "Well, I'll be happy to see him this evening too." I was excited to see him, but now I was also slightly scared...what if he was a vampire. The next few hours were slow, which is normal for a Monday evening. Mitch was asking how things had gone in Portland and if my flight was okay when I heard a familiar voice from behind me, "Well, hello there." I threw aside my nervousness, turning and throwing my arms around his waist, "David!" His low chuckled rumbled through his chest, before he kissed me quickly. The others had gone to their table after waving at me and David followed suit. I turned to Mitch before going to get their orders, "Hey...have you ever seen them come in during the day?" He shook his head as he made a drink for the lonely lady at the end of the bar, "Nope, always after sunset. Why?" I shrugged and walked off to the table. As I approached them Star spoke first, "I'll have some red wine tonight." Smiling I glanced at the others who all ordered their normal. Marko caught my eye as I began to leave, "Hey, mom would like you to come over again for dinner tomorrow." I nodded wondering how she knew I was home already, "Sounds great." David grabbed my hand and kissed it, "When do you get off tonight." I bent down next to his ear, "Same time as always silly. 12." He smirked as I walked away. The night went by much faster than earlier. Most likely because Marko and Paul kept telling jokes and David was constantly kissing my hand.

     When closing time came the gang was waiting outside for me, Star looked hopeful as she asked, "Would you like to go for a ride this evening?" I shook my head, her eyes turning sad, "I'm sorry Star. I'm just awfully tired tonight and want to go home and sleep." They nodded and waved goodbye. David pulled me into one last hug, "I sure missed you, babe." I smiled into his chest, "I missed you too." He placed a light kiss on my forehead before taking off towards his family. Small Paws was curled up on the couch when I arrived home. I picked her up and carried her upstairs with me. I changed into pajamas and climbed into bed. Instead of going to sleep like I had planned I pulled out my laptop and did some research. The first few entries brought up the normal vampire mythology. After a few hours, I eventually found a site that seemed to go into more details on their history and mentioned how some lived in modern times. Vegetarianism seemed to be shunned but did take place among some families. Yawning I curled up on my side and let all the information sink in. They did live in a dark house, slept during the day and only came out at night. Except Sam, he did come out during the day...curious. I fell asleep shortly afterwards. My alarm went off at noon waking me up for the day. I immediately began getting ready for a night at their home. I put on jeans and a off the shoulder top. I must have lost a little weight while I was gone because my jeans weren't as tight as before I left.

    Laddie answered the door before I could knock, "Sage!" He grabbed my hand and lead me through the house and out the back. Max was grilling food, "Dad, Sage is here!" Max looked up at me and smiled, beer in hand he motioned for me to grab one for myself, "We thought we'd grill out tonight; I hope you're okay with that?" I nodded as I opened my beer, "I love to grill out." He smiled, "Have a seat. We also have a game a paint ball planned and then a movie shown on big screen." I laughed as I noticed what he was talking about. There in a tree was a giant movie screen for later, "Sounds fun, Max." Sam walked out of the house carrying a box of blankets and pillows for the movie. He dropped it and ran over to me, "Guess who got a job?" I raised an eyebrow, "Let's see...Laddie?" He rolled his eyes playfully, "No! I did." I gave him a big smile, "That's great Sam. Where?" He said it was at the comic book store and he was being payed ten dollars an hour, "I'm very happy for you."