Another Day, Another Dollar

I woke up before David, which meant it must still be daylight out. I shook my head at myself, what the hell am I doing? If he is a vampire, then this is extremely dangerous! They could even be planning to kill me for some ritual or something. I looked over at him, peacefully sleeping away. I know he couldn't hear me from the other day when I asked him if he was awake. I needed to find a way to bring it up. I mean if they are vampires, obviously, the missing people around here have been their...meals. I shuddered at the thought, not able to prevent the image of David biting into my neck and emptying me of all life entering my mind. What if he didn't finish; leaving me to become a vampire? I'd be a vegetarian...goodness this is so stupid. Vampires don't exist. That family my grandma knew was just crazy and should have been in an institution. I kissed his cheek, slowly getting out of bed to put my jeans on. Then I quietly walked downstairs to the kitchen.

     The clock read 9 am, "Good morning" came from behind me. It was Sam, I smiled at him, "Good morning, want some breakfast?" He nodded grabbing some eggs out of the fridge, "Also...could I have a ride to work?" I laughed, "Of course." After eating, we walked down to my place so I could change into clean clothes. I also fed Small Paws. On the way to the store I decided to ask Sam some questions, "So...does your family always sleep all day long?" He hesitated, "Well, yeah, except Laddie. Sometimes he gets up earlier." I nodded, "How come? I mean they don't have jobs or anything." Sam seemed to be getting nervous about the conversation, "Well...Max owns a restaurant in town. He bought it while you were in Portland. He goes in sometimes to check on it. Mom doesn't have to work because he makes enough and my siblings just party too much." I nodded, not wanting to press the issue, but I got the feeling he wasn't telling me the whole truth. "Have a good evening Sam! What time do I need to pick you up?" He waved me goodbye, "6, if you don't mind." I drove away feeling kind of bad that I made him uncomfortable.

     I drove around to Spice deciding to clock in early, "Hey, Trent I have to leave around 6 to pick up Sam but then I'll be back if that's okay?" He nodded, "That's fine, don't forget tomorrow is Amanda's birthday. I gave you girls the night off to go celebrate." I gasped, "Oh crap, I did forget. What am I going to buy her?" He shrugged as he walked off. Bradley was tending tables so I helped Mitch make drinks. For the middle of the week it was unusually busy causing me to do a double take when the clock read 6:30, "Oh shit I got to go. Be back in 30!" I ran to my car and booked it the comic store, luckily Sam was talking to a co-worker and didn't seem upset. As he sat down in the car I apologized, "Sam I so sorry, work was really busy and I didn't notice the time." Sam looked over at me and shrugged, "It's okay, I'm sorry for the way I acted earlier. I've just never been asked those questions before." I sighed and headed towards his house, "It's cool, I didn't mean to pry into your family's business." He flashed a grin and turned on the music to fill the silence. I dropped him off at the drive way and headed back to work.

     Mitch noticed when I walked back in, "Thank god, get your ass back here! I need help." I laughed seeing how swamped he was and rushed to my friend's aid. Eventually we got caught up, "Geez why are there so many people here tonight?" Vicky came waltzing up to the bar, "The game that's on, it's a local team rivalry thing." I did one big nod, "Oh, I see." Pretending to be interested, "So...is it football?" She laughed, "Oh no, it's a hockey game." I looked down at the bar, wiping it down, "Well, can't say I'm interested. Because that would be a lie." She laughed as Mitch gave her a few drinks to take to table 5. I looked at the time. David and his gang would be here any minute.

     Surely Sam would have told them about the questions I asked, I just hoped they wouldn't be upset. Sure enough like clockwork they came sauntering in, Star waved at me. I waved back; grinning at David who walked up to the bar and leaned onto it acting hurt, "You didn't tell me goodbye this morning." Rolling my eyes, I made his drink, "I kissed you goodbye. It's not my fault you didn't feel it." He smirked leaning in closer as I handed his glass to him, "Why don't you remind me where it went." I gave him a kiss on the cheek, "Now go sit down. You're distracting me from my work." He chuckled as he walked to the table. Mitch snapped his fingers in front of me, "You okay?" I blushed, "yeah." I took drinks to the rest of them, using the opportunity to tell them about Amanda's birthday party tomorrow night so I wouldn't be able to hang out.

     They seemed disappointed but understood, David grabbed my hand to keep me from leaving, "You know, you could always quit work." I gave him a quizzical look, "Oh?" He nodded, "Yeah, I can take care of you." I blushed, "I don't know...I actually like to work. Besides isn't it a little soon to be offering to pay my bills?" He shook his head, "I don't think so." I took in a quick breath, "I'll think about it." He smirked and let me get back to work. They left early; Marko had a girl in tow. David was waiting for me by the car at closing time, "I didn't want to leave without saying goodnight." I sat on the roof of my car, "So what all are you going to do when you go home?" He stood in front of me, moving a strand of hair off my face., "I'll probably watch something on tv to pass the time, Paul wants to play twister so I will most likely end up playing that and then go to bed, thinking about you." I blushed, looking up into his eyes. He smiled, a real smile, "You?"

     I shrugged looking up at the stars, "Read or watch tv, take a shower. I need to shave my legs, since I will be going out tomorrow. Then go to bed." He smirked, "Will you be thinking about me when you go to sleep?" He leaned in, kissing me softly on the lips. I answered softly, "Most definitely." I smiled, kissing him back as I wrapped my arms around his neck to hold him close to me. Our lips moved perfectly together. His feeling rough but the expression gentle and hungry for more. One of his hands held my head gently and the other held my hand tight in his own. I don't know how long we kissed each other but I was out of breath when we parted. His eyes full of lust. My heart pounding nervously and then he kissed me on the hands, "Goodnight, Sage." I watched him as he drove off, the sound of his bike fading as he went further away. I sighed getting in my car and drove home. I did exactly as I said I would. Watched a little tv, showered and shaved, then I went to sleep; thinking about David going to sleep while thinking of me.