On The Way to Dinner

It seemed to me that I had slept to long during one of my dreams so I forced myself awake. Sadly, I realized I still had another 30 minutes that I could have slept. I leaned over David, giving him a kiss on the cheek before crawling out of bed and getting ready for work. When I walked into the kitchen I found Sam eating a bowl of cereal. He smiled at me, "Morning, Sage." I ruffled my hand through his hair, "Morning Sam. Have to work today?" He nodded as he stood up and began to wash his bowl out at the sink, "Speaking of, could I get a ride with you? I don't really want to have to bike through all that snow." I laughed, "Of course. I wouldn't want to either; this is my first time driving through so much of it. It'll be an adventure for the two of us." He smirked flicking water at me, "Oh great, we're going to freeze to death on the side of the rode." I shook my head, "It'll only be bad until we get to town, they always clean up those roads first."

    He nodded as he downed a class of water and then put his coat on, "So what's the plan for tonight?" I grabbed my keys off the table and my scarf from Laddie's chair, "My parents are meeting me at my house at 830 and then David is going to come get us and take us to meet you all at the restaurant around 9. Then we have dinner and who knows what." Sam smiled, "Awesome I can't wait to meet them." I smiled at him and walked outside to find my car already dug out of the snow and the driveway as well, "Aw the guys must have done it after we went to bed." Sam ran out ahead me to get in, "Hurry! It's cold." I laughed as I ran to my side of the car and got in as well. It took 15 minutes for the car to warm up, "Sorry Sam, she's old." He shrugged, "At least you have one. Max won't let me yet...I think he's afraid I'll take off." I looked over at him, "Why would he think that?" Sam didn't answer until we had pulled out of the drive-way, "Because, I'm not sure if I want to be a vampire. I mean, I understand why they do it...but I couldn't kill anyone."

    I reached over and squeezed his hand, "I know, I'm not sure either. I do know that I don't think they would force you to not be vegetarian, if you think that would be better." Sam was quiet the rest of the ride and it gave me time to appreciate the way everything looked during the day with snow. It really was pretty. It didn't take long to get to the club after I dropped Sam off and then I changed quickly as Amanda wasn't there. The entire day was so slow, I sat for half of it. Brandon was sulking behind the bar, "Why didn't he just close because of the snow. I could be out playing with my nieces." I nodded, "Tell me about it, I would be home getting ready for my parents." Amanda finally showed up five hours late, "I'm so sorry, my car got stuck and then I had to walk to my neighbors and wait for a taxi. At this point I'm just going to spend the night here." We laughed as she threw her purse upstairs, "Has it been this dead all day?" We groaned in response, "Alright, touchy subject I get it. Geez." I stood up and wiped down a table out of sheer boredom. Around 530 we had a rush of 20 people from a travel bus; then when it calmed down I left to meet my parents at the house.

    Thankfully I had enough time to shower and get dressed before the doorbell rang. I scrunch up my nose as I looked at myself in the mirror. It wasn't the best dress ever but it would have to do, I thought as I made my way downstairs, "Coming!" I could see my mom through the glass paneling along the side of the door and smiled excitedly. I opened the door quickly, "Mom! Dad!" My mom embraced me in a hug, "Oh Sage! I'm so happy to see you! The house looks great." She said as she let go and looked around for the bathroom. Dad playfully rolled his eyes at her over excitement, "Sweet pea, you look great!" I gave him a hug after he closed the door behind him, "Thanks daddy." We sat down on the couch waiting for David to arrive, "So how was the flight?" Dad shrugged and leaned back in his chair, "It was fine for the most part, but your mother will say differently." Mom came from upstairs, "Why is that blanket hanging up over your window? Do we need to replace it?" I gulped, having forgotten to take it down the other day, "No mom, its fine. I hung it up because it keeps the room warmer." She nodded and sat down next to me sighing, "Oh gosh, the flight was absolutely terrible. There was this woman who complained the whole time, the poor attendant couldn't get three feet from her." I gave my dad a slight smile and he returned it with a knowing look before standing up, "So-" Before he could speak further the doorbell rang, I stood with a smile, my heart pounding furiously, "That'll be David, now be nice...dad."

    He threw his hands up in the air, "I'll give him a fair chance, promise." I wiped my hands on my dress nervously as I opened the door, I tilted my head in surprise at the sight before me. David was dressed in a nice suit, had cut his hair some and had taken his earring out, "H-Hi." I side stepped so he could come in, he smirked bashfully as he walked by, "Sage." My dad immediately stuck his hand out, "You must be David, I'm Jonathon." They shook hands and then dad turned towards my mom, "This is my wife, Catherine." She waved at my dad, "You can call me Cate. We've heard so much about you. It's nice to be able to put a face to a name." She pulled him in for a hug, "It's nice to meet you to Cate. Now I see were Sage gets her looks." I rolled my eyes and noticed my dad do the same, we laughed at each other secretly. David put his arm around my waist, "Shall we head to the restaurant?" I nodded as he opened the door and let my parents walk out first. I pulled him back from walking out, "You look very nice, hun." I kissed him and smiled as I pulled back.

    He licked his lips, "First impressions, right?" I laughed as we walked out and I locked the door. I let my dad ride in the front seat and sat in the back with mom. David opened the door for us to get in and winked at me as he shut the door. My mom whispered into my ear as we started to pull out of the driveway, "He's a cutie, Sage, and polite." I laughed, "Yeah, he is." I watched as him and my dad talked in the rear-view mirror. He didn't seem nervous at all, he spoke clear and unwavering. He even talked about the stock market like he understood how it all worked. Soon we arrived and after we parked David let us out and offered me his arm, "Careful, babe. It's icy out, I don't want you to fall and get hurt." My dad looked at him, smiling. I took his arm and watched the ground as we made our way inside.