Holiday Hell

A few weeks passed and I found myself spending almost all my time at their house. If I wasn't at work or sleeping I was there; either playing with Laddie in the backyard, reading comics with Sam or sitting in the living room with the others. David started leaving the house to hunt with Lucy and Star instead of the boys. I could tell that it was a struggle for him but I appreciated the effort. Winter had hit fast and hard. Christmas was just around the corner, the amount of time that had passed since my grandmother's funeral seemed unreal.

    A fire was blazing in the living room where I was playing cards with Dwayne, Paul, Michael and Marko. Sam was at work. I heard Star laughing and David growling at her as they returned from hunting, "Shut up." I looked up at him as he entered the room shaking snow off his coat. He hung it up by the fireplace so it could dry and made his way over to sit behind me, "What's up?" He grunted, grabbing himself some cards so he could play too, "I have to eat like 4 animals to fill up, it's aggravating." Star shouted from the kitchen, "Especially if they hop away." Paul snorted at the thought of David trying to catch a bunny rabbit. I gave him a sympathetic look, "I'm sorry David. I understand it must be difficult." He leaned down and placed a kiss on my neck, "I'll survive. Being with you is worth it." His stubble tickled my neck causing me to giggle and shrink away slightly. He chuckled asking for another card.

    The phone rang and Lucy called to me, "Sage, it's your parents." I got up, placing my cards face down, "No cheating you guys." David slapped my butt as I walked away. I rubbed it giving him a playful hurt look. Marko laughed, "I bet she likes it." Dwayne slapped him on the head, "Shut up and take your turn." Lucy smiled at me as I took the phone from her, "Hello?" My dad answered, "Sweet pea, I was just calling to let you know we booked our flights! We will get into town around 8pm on the 23rd." I choked on air causing Max, Laddie and Star to look at me in concern. I waved to let them know I was alright. "Oh, I didn't know you were coming here for Christmas. I figured I was flying out to you," I managed to get out before my dad yelled something to my mom, "Well, we wanted to meet David and his family. I figured what was a better time than the holidays? I mean you are still seeing him, aren't you?" Even though he couldn't see me, I nodded, "Yeah, we are still dating." He said that was good and they couldn't wait to see me. After a word from mom about the hotel they were staying at, we said our goodbyes.

    Max looked up from his book, "Getting Christmas visitors, are you?" I chuckled mischievously, "Actually, Max, we all are. My parents want meet all of you." His face went blank, "Well...that's unexpected." Lucy clapped her hands together, "I think it's a wonderful idea! We can decorate the house and buy gifts for each other. It'll be a fun time." Max smiled up at her, "Oh, I'm sure you will make it a wonderful time. I'm just worried about the boys." He stood up, heading towards the living room. I followed quickly, "Alright all of you listen up. For once, we are celebrating Christmas in this house. Sage's parents are coming and I want you all on your best behavior. We can't deal with any mistakes. Also, we only have 6 days to get the house ready; prepare for holiday hell." Paul stared at us, mouth open with some food showing, "Seriously?" I nodded from behind Max, "Yeah, sorry guys. I know you said you don't celebrate the holidays. I hope you don't mind, it should only be this once." Marko stood up, "I don't mind at all. I'm off to shop for presents, anyone who wants to brave the mall with me is welcome." With that he, Paul and Dwayne left to go to the mall. I was stunned, "I expected more of a fight about this." Max looked back at me, "I did too, Sage. I did too." David tossed his cards down on the table, "Well I guess we'll need a tree and crap." Lucy yelled as she came running into the room, "We are getting a real tree! I hate fake ones. They don't give off the right feeling." David smirked over at her, "That's the first time you've ever yelled about something." She smiled a little and huffed, "Well, I'm just very opinionated on the matter."