Chapter 19

[Edited: 9.4.19.]

Chapter 19 | No one's pov

|Unknown|

That night Naruto watched the stars and the moon. He never once noticed red eyes watching. Not until they approached him. "Why are you still awake?" Naruto slowly turned around and looked in the eyes of the stranger. "I can't sleep,... I'm surprised you're already awake, Itachi."
"Hn.... It's early, the sun will get out soon."

Is it really that late? How long was I staring? Was it really a few hours?

His eyebrows drew together as he noticed that he was sitting. When did I even sit?

"You lost the track of time."

Naruto didn't deny nor confirm the statement. And he didn't need to, Itachi knew.

"The sky is beautiful at the night, isn't it?"

"It indeed is, Itachi."

"They remind one of freedom and calmness." Itachi almost smirked when he saw Naruto tense.

"My, my, how talkative you are tonight, Itachi."

"Hn.... Thank you for everything."

Surprise filled eyes turned to him. They closed slowly and a calm, peaceful and knowing smile appeared.

"What are you gonna do when Sasuke learns the truth about the Uchiha massacre?" The question filled uneasiness in Itachi. He answered honestly, "I don't know."

Naruto hummed lightly and shook his head. "The real reason you woke up earlier was because of nightmares, isn't it?" He didn't get an answer in return but a tensing confirmed his suspicions. "It's alright, that's why I can't sleep either", he sounded careless but Itachi knew better, he heard the undertone, "everytime I close my eyes, I see them. I see the beatings, the abuse. I see the glares, the betrayal, their mocking and haunting faces....."

"... Why did you tell me that?" He really didn't understand, was the blonde hoping something form him?
The chuckle that rolled of off the tounge Uzumaki's had been pleasant.

"Just like you."

"What?"

He didn't get another answer and turned around to face the Uzumaki (they were both sitting now) but the other one just watched the sky with a peaceful expression.

"Their faces haunt you. You can't stand it. Your guilt will eat you alive. You're hopeless."

Itachi's face remained blank, "Tell me something I don't know."

"Hmm... We're going to the moon country for Yuki, Hiro and Hikaru. After that, we're going to.... Uzushiogakure." Itachi nodded absently. He was lost in thoughts. Hmm... What can I do? No, what should I do? Isn't..... it time to tell Sasuke my side of the story and live a bit longer when I have the chance... No. It isn't fair to them.

"Say Itachi, I know that we're not really close friends or anything but I....  know how you feel all too well. You of course mustn't tell me...."

"I don't like talking about that night. Furthermore no one understands..."
Itachi took a pregnant pause and continued, "Tell me Naruto, did you ever have to kill someone important to you? Your whole clan or family? You didn't, you can't possibly even hope to understand me..." His tone was almost pleading at the end. Pleading for something, for anything. Craving for something no one understood. Itachi made a move to go back inside but stopped when Naruto confessed.

"Sasuke tried to kill me."
The pain in his voice was obvious.

"..."

"It wouldn't be the second time if he tried again."

Eyes widened.

"It wouldn't even be a third time."

Eyes widened even more.

"Hell, I don't even know how much times he tried to kill me. Just because I dragged him back to Konoha and didn't let him to Orochimaru. Just because I saved his life. Eventually after a few years he asked me out. I was speechless. He tried to kill me so many times. Even going so far, as to break free from the anbu guards and run after me. As if that Chidori hole near my heart wasn't enough. I guess not. I agreed after sometime. After all I did love him, I just didn't know it was brotherly at that time. I tried to help him in many ways. Sakura made my life a living hell. The villagers weren't of any help, nor was Sasuke. They'd just watch, ignore or join. And I endured it. And then you saw what happened. Didn't you?"

"...Hn."

"........ About your blindness.... well if you tell Sasuke the truth and he accepts it you could exchange eyes. For the eternal mangyeko sharingan."
Itachi's frown told him that he wasn't too fond of the idea "Or not. It's your decision. If you don't do it then you're both going blind."

"..."

They watched the starts and the moon peacefully. And they didn't even notice that they got closer to each other. Nor did they notice falling asleep in each others arms.
That night the moon shone brightly. A full moon lightened up the whole forest and the mountain as well as the entrance of the cave.

TBC
I know, finally something about Itanaru! It's freaking 19 chapter and I still didn't write anything about these two until now.