One Year

Chrom

"C'mon! This way!"

"I'm going as fast as I can, Anna!"

"Well, go faster!"

The annual winter dance was tonight and being a former member of Student Leadership, I was expected to go. I may not be in the class anymore, but I was still happy to help out in any way I can. It was fun to see how the new members were handling things. It will certainly help to have the support of these particular students whenever I run for student council.

Anna tagged along with me, as always, but we decided to take a breather from all the chaos. And by that, I mean she dragged me through the halls of the school to a location I didn't even know, yet. However, as we traveled, I got a sneaking suspicion as to where we were headed.

She looked particularly stunning, tonight. Since her homecoming dress was somewhat wintery, she just reused that. This particular dance wasn't that big or demanding totally new outfits. In fact, a lot of people had the same idea as her.

Anyhow, she still looked amazing. The dress was light, almost white, blue, a thin layer of tulle covering it. The bottom was puffed out a bit, making it shift with every movement. Her hair was done into soft curls and what little makeup she had on was beautiful. She made me feel underdressed, in only dress pants and shirt. But, since we were dorks, she got me a bowtie that was the same color as her dress.

We passed music classrooms and the theatre, and, eventually, ended up at a row of practice rooms. I smiled, already knowing where this was going. "This feels familiar."

She opened the door to one of them, flicking on the light. "Happy one-year of friendship."

I was overflooded with nostalgia as I stepped into the room, regarding everything inside. In the corner was the piano, along with a few music stands. Anna took a seat at the piano, uncovering the keys and sighing.

"Has it really been a year...?" I breathed, taking a seat.

"Just about. We became friends at this dance, remember?"

"Oh, I remember," I chuckled. "How could I ever forget that day?"

Her fingers lightly pressed on the keys, playing a simple chord. "It...it was both the best and worst day of my life..." She let her hands take a mind of their own and played a simple tune. "The embaressment...all those people laughing at me... It reminded me of my old school. I felt like everyone in the room hated me, and they had the right to do so. Then...then you gave me a chance. You followed this girl who resented you into this very room and held her as she cried. You owed me nothing and yet you treated me as if you knew me forever."

I felt myself getting lost in her music, being careful to listen to her words. "It did not matter to me who you were or how you treated me. My whole life, I was told to treat everyone I meet with kindness. It will pay off to that is better than resenting people for no reason."

"And for that, I thank you." She stopped playing, looking up at me. "You're the greatest thing to ever happen to me, Chrom. I can't imagine living my life without you."

I stood up from my seat, crossing over to her. "And I you." I took her into my arms embracing tight. "You're my best friend, I cannot see anyone else in this place but you."

She exhaled softly, hesitantly wrapping her arms around me. "Thank you...f-for everything..." She nuzzled into my shoulder and I could feel warm tears there. "I-I can't...! I can't say that enough-!"

"Shh... I'm right here." I held her tighter, ready to help guide her through every single trouble of her life. I know you still have a lot of turmoil going inside of your head as we speak. A lot more to your past that I don't know about. Sometimes, I feel like I've just barely cracked the ice with you. But, that doesn't matter. You will tell me in your own time. It could take a week, or a year, or even twenty years! Either way, I don't care. I will help you through all of it. I promise I'll never let you go.

*****

Hi, welcome to endless filler chapters while I procrastinate to write the climax of this series. XD But in all seriousness, it has been over a year since they became friends. I'm still in shock. I still remember writing that chapter like it was yesterday! Another thing, THIS is Anna's dress!

 I still remember writing that chapter like it was yesterday! Another thing, THIS is Anna's dress!