CHAPTER 15 - Incrimination

“I want to show you something.”

Eve said with excitement as soon as she woke up. The moment she stood up, she disappeared in thin air. On instinct, Caspian immediately armed himself to attack. Suddenly, he was in such a dilemma and the idea of everything being an extremely well-orchestrated trap danced tauntingly in his faithless mind.

“Show yourself!” he commanded with a threatening tone.

“Relax.” she assured as she reappeared again in front of an irritated, ready-to-pounce Caspian. “Cool, huh?” she added with an innocent, satisfied smile on her face.

Once more, Caspian felt confused. He was clearly annoyed at her sudden feat of disappearance which he perceived as a threat to his life. It was out of instinct and she knew she could not take it against him. Yet the look of sincerity in her face, in her smile, assured him that she was only trying to show him something, and did not intend to disturb his peace.

“I could only do it for short distances but I’m trying to either do it while transporting someone else or do it on my own but at a longer range. Did you want to try the first one? If it doesn’t go as planned, go ahead and kill me.”

 Caspian could only grin upon hearing her words. He has found her strange proposals constantly entertaining. Shrugging his shoulders as if to communicate his agreement, he allowed her to step forward and wrap her arms around him as if asking for another hug, to which he reflexively responded by pulling her closer to him by the waist a little bit more forceful than before as if to warn her to not even think about pulling an assassination feat.

“Ready?” Eve asked with an excited tone to match her eager smile.

As soon as Caspian nodded, they disappeared into nothingness and reappeared on a hill overlooking the ‘most dangerous place in Neshamal.’ Although they were both breathless and Caspian was still in shock, he was able to catch her when her knees gave way from what could only be too much use of energy.

A pang of worry started to creep into him but her giggles stifled it all. “We did it! That was so awesome!”

 Caspian reflexively smiled with relief upon hearing her thrilled remarked. Noticing that his expression was different from his usual entertained grin/smirk, she decided to tease him by telling him the truth.

“You look hot when you smile, by the way.”

 His brow furrowed in confusion for the Nth time. But he was in no way getting tired of being mentally stimulated by such a strange, beautiful creature.

 “Hot, handsome, beautiful, attractive. Get it now?”

  Caspian nodded in amusement, and then looked away to hide his embarrassed expression.

“Now before I say anything more to incriminate myself, we should call it a night and retire. We have a big training day tomorrow. Good night, Caspian. Thank you for everything.”

 “Good night, Eve.”

It wasn’t the most ideal friendship but it was a good start in Eve’s perspective. Her smiling face was the last image he had of her before she disappeared into oblivion.

Clearly, they should not be seen together like that because they were not only from different teams and separate kingdoms, they were also divided by status. She was the granddaughter of the headmaster of Neshamal, and most likely expected to lead the Osiris, if not Neshamal itself someday. On the other hand, he was the half-brother and protector of the prince of Antares, and he was born to kill for the kingdom, not to lead an army promoting peace. His joining the Osiris was only to gain more power and influence for the kingdom of Antares. And he knew he wasn’t the only one who discerned the purpose of his presence in Neshamal.

In a split second after reappearing, Eve felt a familiar grip abduct her into oblivion. She once more disappeared but this time, it was outside of her will.