CHAPTER 12 - Paradox

‘It would be a shame to lose such a special man like you...The tree of life and death only reveals life to special people – those destined for a great, noble purpose.’

“So how did you find me here?”

“I was told this is the most dangerous place in Neshamal, so I thought that this is the first place to go to if I didn’t want anyone to bother me. I assumed you’ll be here, and I’m right.”

Eve shrugged in amusement, and said with a giggle, “It’s good to know someone understands me then.”

 “Something’s bothering you. It’s written all over your face.” Caspian stated flatly, which she found amusingly ironic, considering the context and content.

“Am I that easy to read?” she said with a giggle, and nonchalantly added, “It’s too boring to talk about. Plus if I tell you then we both have to be killed.”

A sly grin escaped Caspian’s lips along with words teeming with confidence...

“I’d like to see them try.”

Sniggering in agreement, Eve decided to push the buttons and started teasing.

 “So you went to the most dangerous place in Neshamal to look for me?”

She was met with silence but she continued on her friendly badgering - “That is the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for me. But why?”

Silence.

“So is it safe to assume that you’re worried about me?” Eve curiously asked, trying to wring out an answer from the most mysterious man she has met since her grandfather, Viktor.

Caspian remained silent as if to tease her, observing how she would react to his displayed nonchalance. He found it fascinating enough that she had the courage to even attempt more than once to convince him to engage in conversation, but what drew him towards her was the integral mystery she exuded despite being so open.

 Eve seemed surreal, with her golden locks gently swayed by the breeze as she turned her attention to the cascading willow foliage. She was exuding with confidence contained by respect and a kind heart – the strangest traits for a warrior with such superior calibre of assassinating skills.

 Clearly, Eve was a puzzle to him, the most interesting paradox he has ever allowed to live. Despite her socially approved traits, she emanated a sense of danger that seemed magnetic, prodding him to yield out his thoughts.

 “I’m intrigued about you. You’re so strange, in an interesting way.”

 Her smile beamed with pleasure. Under normal circumstances, her next words would’ve solidified her reputation for surprises...

 “Fair enough.”  She recognised, and then added, “Well, since you travelled far just to comfort me, give me a hug then.”

 “What are you talking about?” He asked with a clueless look on his face.

 “A hug. I’m feeling absolutely crappy, that’s why I need a hug.”

 ...Instead, he blew her mind away.

 “What’s a hug?”