CHAPTER 5 - Freedom is Victory

Conflict and tensions shrouded the arena as the warriors chose their partners. The biggest commotion erupted in Canis when Ares chose the more seasoned sister, Erin, to be her battle partner over his lover, the younger Priss. Caspian could not care less as he did not find the need for anyone to win his battles. There was not really a choice between the members of Aves since the same genders don’t get along with each other, forcing Scorpius to pair up with the enamoured Bella, and Eve with the loud simpleton, Zen. Only Felida did not have any problems as the cousins Hunter and Anja, and the best friends Tomic and Novak paired up respectively.

“Shit!”

The cursed ground swallowed Tomic and the rumbling tectonic plates bashed through his shield. He thought to himself that it was impossible for anything to penetrate his shield, yet his eyes betrayed him. His confidence as a defence specialist dwindled as he dreaded the pain from the stabbing. Pain was his weakness; it was the driving force for perfecting his art of defence, but even that betrayed him and his gift of paralysing the enemy backfired at him. His perception of searing pain on top of complete body paralysis clouded his once superior strategic mind and all he could think about was giving up. After all, according to Anja, he was a certified quitter.

“I give u...” CLASH!!!!

Shards of a shattered tree trunk flew right before his eyes as he felt his body being hurled back by an unseen force. Seeing the droplets of blood on his hands, the sharp pain on his bark-splintered cheek brought him back to reality as Novak’s voice echoed in his head – “It’s an illusion!”

The ground beneath him started moving, and it mentally pissed him of that he could not immediately tell where the illusion crosses reality, and what triggered Scorpius’ illusion to work on him earlier. But his brilliant mind would not let this predicament ruin his regained sense of control.  Formulating the best strategy in less than 3 seconds, he was about to pounce for attack covered by the best defence when his legs suddenly felt like jelly, and then he dropped to the ground that swallowed him once more, but this time was unable to pierce through his shield. He was bitterly made aware that this was no longer an illusion – revealing to him Scorpius’ ability to distort reality and control the earth, on top of realising his underestimation of the ability of the plant-controlling bitch to learn from Eve’s technique of infusing paralysis potions on inanimate objects. While these thoughts swirled in his mind, he increased the width of his shield to maximum and burst through the ground. Although still unable to move, the power of his mind sustained his perfect defence to his advantaged. Remembering that the unexpected trick would last for only 5 minutes, he knew he could stall for that long without a scratch thanks to his unparalleled defence. However, his damned convictions just had to resurface at the wrong time. With the reasons of his forced participation in the Academy of Neshamal flooding his mind, images of his nagging, imposing mother drowned all thoughts of persevering. It was not his fight, nor did he consider himself a fighter.

‘I am a defender and strategist; not my mother’s puppet.’ Tomic thought to himself as he secretly grinned for his own definition of victory. Faking loss of consciousness, he dropped to the ground, and after 3 counts, he figuratively got his relaxed life back when Chloe announced:

“Scorpius [Bella] vs Tomic [Novak] – Scorpius wins.”