6: Goodnight, Stoner

While Danny and I were roaming around school before class, like usual, I saw Brooke and Alex talking by her locker. I immediately thought of walking the other way, but she already saw me.

"Ryley!" she grinned as we were in hearing range. Brooke reached out for a hug that I couldn't turn down. I didn't even look over her shoulder, because I knew Alex would be there looking right at me. I shyly stepped back next to Danny, while Brooke rambled on about next weekend.

"You are coming to Jamie's house, and we're gonna get baked," she smiles, and all I feel is sick. Jamie's house? Beth's ex-girlfriend's house?!?

"I don't know-" I begin, but I'm cut off by Brooke giving me one million reasons why I should go. I bring up the Beth situation and she falls quiet; this was a rare occasion when I out thought the mastermind.

"Well then I guess it's really your choice, I'm pretty sure they're on good terms," she shrugs, walking away. That left Alex my point of focus and he looks at me.

"That fucking sucks," he says.

"Yeah, well," I sigh. "If Beth doesn't want me to go, then I'm not going to be a shit friend and go anyway."

"Even though Jamie has good weed," Alex points out, a smile tugging at his lips.

"Even though," I laugh. The bell rings, and Danny becomes alert next to me. Alex stands there like that bell means nothing to him, and it doesn't, really. "I'm gonna go to class." Alex holds out his arms for a hug and I shake my head, smiling, before walking into his arms. It's a awkward hug, but we've got to start somewhere.

"I'll see you at lunch," Alex says to me, he nods at Danny. I can almost hear Danny roll his eyes as we walk away down the hall.

I laugh, "What?"

"Nothing," he sighs. "I'll see you at lunch."

Walking to lunch never made me feel so nervous, but I was. When I saw that Alex wasn't there yet, I was relieved and thought I'd be able to avoid another chance to embarrass myself. Though, the universe wasn't going to let that happen. Alex walks in after me, and takes the empty seat next to me where Danny usually sits. I notice, but I don't say anything. It's not like we're in kindergarten.

"Hey," Alex smiles at me, and my heart is pounding.

"Hey," I smile back.

"I've got a surprise," he says, opening his hand under the table for me to see a small bag of weed. I look back to his eyes, and he smiles wider. "I figured since you might not be able to do anything this weekend, you could at least have some fun now." I smile at him, I think it's sweet.

"You didn't have to," I say, though I can feel myself blushing because he got it with me in mind.

"I wanted to," he said. "Plus, I haven't smoked since you last did. That's a long time for me." I laugh, opening my pathetic granola bar and enjoying it as if it's heavenly. I'm just starving. Danny sits down across from me, and he looks at Alex in his usual seat as of last week. He doesn't react, so I hope that's a good thing. I smile at him, and he barely returns it to me, and that makes me sad. I kick his foot under the table and he looks up at me. I mouth 'you okay?' and he nods. I take a sip of my water now that I've finished what I've brought with me today. Alex finishes too, and he starts talking again. "Wanna cut class and smoke this?" I feel my heart speed up again. I don't cut class... But I want to. He notices my hesitation and says, "We can wait..."

"No, it's fine," I say. "I just might not be able to go back to class afterwards." Alex smiles, and I'm pretty sure that neither of us will be going back to class.

Light Me UpOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara