4: All of the Unthinkable...

Today, Kaylee and I weren't the only ones waiting to catch the bus when we walked outside. Frank actually remembered Brian, and I wondered if they had been friends before the move. I told Tommy that since we got to school early, I'd try to show him where his classes were. When we arrived, we had about twenty minutes to spare until the first bell rang. Kaylee and I showed Danny and Brian to the main office, where they got their schedules and school maps. Kaylee went with Brian, and I leaned closer to Danny to get a better look at his classes.

"We have the same lunch," I said. "But that's it."

"I'm screwed then," Danny sighed.

I laughed, "You'll be fine. First period you have Spanish, and that's in the middle of nowhere, which is that way." I pointed down the long hallway to the left of us, and began walking.

"Why do they give you so much time before class?" Danny asked me.

"Some kids get breakfast in the morning," I said. "I guess if you need to go to extra help and you don't have a ride, too. Everyone else just uses it to talk to their friends. That hallway goes to the Guidance Office, and right across from there is the nurse." We finally reached the end of the hallway, and I began to look for his room number. I stopped in front of it, "Here it is. Majority of the math rooms are right down the stairs over there, and the cafeteria is in the left corner of the school."

"Thanks," Danny smiled.

"Do you want to go look for the rest of your classes? We have a lot of time..."

"Nah, it's okay. You don't have to."

"But I'm going to," I smiled, grabbing his arm and dragging him back down the hallway where we came from. "Where to?"

"Science, 473."

"That's upstairs!" I said. "So we have to go all the way down this hallway again, and then up the stairs and then up more stairs." Once we got to the first set of stairs, I pointed to the gym, and explained that's where he would have to go when he alternated lab days. I showed him upstairs to his science room, and we continued to run through his schedule. We ended up on the opposite side of school when the first bell rang.

"Shit," we both said.

"Speed walk!" I exclaimed, both of our classes being on the other side of the building.

"If we go outside wouldn't it be faster?" Danny asked.

"Yeah," I nodded, exiting through the nearest door. "See, you know better than I do and it's your first day. Congrats, dude." Danny laughed, and we continued to walk quickly to the northern wing of the bulding. When we reached there, I checked my phone and we had ourselves two minutes to spare. I opened the door, and stopped in front of the stairs. "I have to go to science, do you remember where to go?"

"Uh, make a left past the main office, and make a right at the end?" he asked.

"Yup," I smiled. "Good luck!"

"Thanks, Ryley," he smiled, walking just where he needed to go. I tried to calm my breathing as I reached the top of the stairs. I dragged myself into my chemistry room and into my seat just as the bell rang.

"Why are you breathing so heavy?" Keri laughed at me.

"I just speed walked here from the south wing," I said slowly.

"Why would you even go over there if you knew you weren't going to make it back?" she asked.

"I didn't realize I was running out of time!" I exclaimed. "My friend is new here, and I was showing him his classes."