Freddie, My Dear

It had been a little over a month since Freddie's train station extravaganza. Quite a bit had happened in the span of one month, but also not all that much. Your journals artfully told the tales.

September 26, 1969

Freddie and I were invited back home for dinner with the family today—even Rog got to come along! It's been ages since I've seen everybody, I missed them immensely. I think Freddie missed everyone too, but he's been so busy in his own little world, you know. He's been a little reluctant to tell the family all he's been up to, maybe he only wants to come back to them with successes. Kash sure looks up to him. I can see it in her eyes, she's proud of her big brother. Roger was a great addition to the dinner party, even if Bomi got a bit annoyed with this dinnertime mannerisms. You don't just go hitting on his daughter at the dinner table Rog! Mom thought it was funny. They all seem really joyful. I'm sure they miss Freddie dearly, but I get the sense they know he's on to good things. Freddie gave a little impromptu performance and Roger joined in on pots and pans. Bomi actually smiled for once—even with the cacophony of those 'drums'—so that's a start. Hopefully we'll visit more often.

October 4, 1969

Freddie and I are off to live with Geoff in Liverpool for awhile, just on his bedroom floor. I know we were just up there, but a change of scenery might be nice. Ever since Mrs. Tibbetts kicked us out of the flat we've been needing to think seriously about a place to live. Even though she gave us a week, we most definitely overstayed our welcome. This morning she came knocking on our door and that was it, we were promptly evicted. I don't blame her though, it was time. Freddie is really excited to live on Penny Lane for a bit I know (he's nodding his head as I write this...and now he's twirling about singing Penny Lane. What am I to do with him?). I talked to Mary today about going on a vacation for awhile, luckily she had my back. Something seemed off with her today, I hope I haven't upset her.

October 13, 1969

Liverpool life has been great on Fred—even he does look a bit alien here, what with his velvet trousers and three-quarters length coat. I think he likes the air up here. The band hasn't been practicing much though. Everyone is off doing their own things. I don't know what's really become of the boys, but last I heard, they were looking for a flat in Barnes. I think we're going to be heading back to London soon. For all the enjoyment, I think Freddie's had his fill of pubs and walks along the river. It's been great inspiration for him though, he's been working on another little tune: Green. Today we went on an adventure to find a guitar for him to pluck it out. We ended up taking the train down to St. Helens to visit Ken in school, he's got a guitar. He was studying for exams when Freddie and I popped by. I felt so bad. Freddie had no problem gravitating towards Ken's guitar. I think Ken kind of enjoyed the break, we got to talking and he thinks he might be able to get us a gig for the twenty-sixth and Halloween. Wouldn't that be fantastic? Freddie and I can't wait.

October 17, 1969

Back in London! Roger found us a flat at 40 Ferry Road in Barnes. We're all going to share it, Smile and Ibex, for awhile. Even Brian's come to live with us, he just got back from Tenerife yesterday. The boys have given it the dubbed nickname of 'Carmel'. I've already forgotten the reason they call it that—the new girl, Denise, told me in sort of a muddle. It's a lovely flat but my god is it hideous. I'd like to think that the horror is some sort of aesthetic, but it goes beyond all definition—oh okay, it's not all that bad. Everything's great, besides one chair in the corner. Tupp decided we should keep the ugly red plastic sofa that came with the place. It's got stuffing spouting out all over the place and mold caked on the insides, no one but you seems to mind unfortunately. In one of the back bedrooms the boys pushed three beds together to make one big bed. Apparently everyone's been sleeping in that for a couple of days, to much discomfort and dismay—not even sleeping on their sides seems to help. Freddie, Roger, and I have secured a mattress for ourselves. Yes I said Roger, he's bunking with us now. Nothing too wild of course. It's a little uncomfortable fitting the three of us on our small, well worn mattress, but it's better than sleeping into what I now will only refer to as "The Pile". Suffice to say, this place will be an adventure.