First Gig

This morning had been an absolute whirlwind, but a lovely whirlwind indeed. Freddie had awoken and immediately began a string of anxieties and anticipation. It wasn't exactly like he was anxious per say, it was more just he couldn't stop talking, and all that talking involved little bits and pieces of things that could go wrong. One thing in all this excitement is that no comment he had really seemed to be of much self doubt, you admired that actually. He wasn't spending his time questioning whether or not he would preform well or win over his audience, instead it was little nitpick things like the small hole that had formed in the inseam of his trousers.

"You don't want my bloody cock to fly out!" shouted Freddie, a little louder than he should have for this time of morning.

"I'll go see if anyone has a sewing kit, and I'll fix it right up," you said to an obviously not paying attention to your solution Freddie who had the look of contemplation in his eye, as if to think well...maybe it wouldn't be so bad, the hidden exhibitionist in him making an appearance.

You went to go find Peggy who you'd seen with a sewing kit yesterday when she had been pulling things out of her bag yesterday. She was then kind enough to lend it to you. As you walked back over to Freddie, you found him sitting and pulling at the little string.

"Don't pull at that, you're going to make it worse," you said to Freddie as his childlike eyes flashed the look of oops I'm sorry, "So would you like me poking around there with this or would you like to find a bathroom?" you said holding up a the needle.

"Bathroom," stated Freddie very clearly

"That's what I thought," you said as you and Freddie got up to locate a bathroom in a petrol station nearby. It didn't take very long to get the pants back to as good as new, although Freddie's slight impatience made it seem longer to him than it was. You loved the way he got annoyed at little things like that, he wasn't truly annoyed, its just that his attention had been suddenly directed elsewhere.

You met the rest of the band back at the van and hopped inside. It wasn't too long of a drive to the park, yet Freddie was antsy the entire time. He even went as far as to repeatedly ask the dreaded question "Are we there yet?" about 12 times on the maybe 10 minute drive

You all quickly hopped off the bus and began carrying your equipment in and bringing it to the amphitheater in the center of the park. It really was a lovely day, clear sunny skies, birds chirping—all that picturesque scenery of what really was a historic day. Lovely place for the history making really. Walking into the front entrance you smiled a bit seeing that the park was entitled, "Queen's Park", for a Queen indeed, you mused to yourself.

You and the boys all eventually found your way to the amphitheater and checked in with the main crew. You had gotten a quick glance at the setlist, it appeared Ibex would be performing last behind 7 other bands in the Bluesology Pop-in. Freddie had mixed feelings about their positioning, part of him loved the fact that they were a finale act, yet at the same time he hated waiting.

"Seven acts!" he cried.

"Really it's not that long Fred," you tried to console him, "They're all only playing about two to three songs, just try and enjoy the show".

You took him by the hand and lead him over to your seats off to the side of the main stage. Well, you couldn't exactly call it a stage—it really was a amphitheater. A rather small slab of concrete really. Photos you'd seen before of the event never really captured that fact. It was beautiful though, flowers all growing about the grounds, chairs lined up perfectly about the descending hillside with the leafy green trees behind blowing in the light August breeze. And thank goodness for that breeze, it was rather hot out today and you were glad Freddie had been lucky enough to wear white. He'd had to shed his fur coat but you were stuck in the not so lucky position of wearing long pants and a long-sleeved collared shirt.