The Bus Ride

"So," he stated, giving your shin a loving pat, "How about some breakfast?"

"Sure why not," you answered shyly, brushing a single hair behind your ear. Breakfast sounded good about now. Getting something in your stomach might help to calm the nausea that followed the dizziness of trying to figure out what was going on. Anywhere you went, food was food. Regardless of time or space, food had some sort of consistency.

"How's about we go to a café in Kensington. I can show you my favorite bit of London and then you can tell me all about this wondrous future you claim to have traveled from," said Freddie in a fantasifull sort of fashion. You'd heard the ways in which he was often intrigued by the world, but seeing in it in front of you was another sort of feeling. You were like a book he was keen to open, with excitement standing in the way of a more than arduous reading. Somehow that combatted his shyness.

You smiled and nodded your head. It was hard not to be rather shy around him the more you began to note where exactly you were.

You slung your feet over the side of the bed and eased them down towards the floor. The floor felt firm and good. The sun had warmed the umber carpet up and you let the fibers melt into your skin a moment. Staying in tune with your feelings would help you better assess if this was in fact just a dream.

"Oh," he interrupted your thoughts and tutted quietly to himself, "You can't exactly go out looking like that?" He gestured to your clothing. You were wearing tight skinny jeans and a t-shirt, something not exactly of the era.

"What about it?" you replied, finally standing up and letting your feet carry you. You glanced down at your clothing. Sadly there was nothing about it that jog your memory of when you were last wearing it back in 2017.

"You mean to tell me that's the future of clothing?" he scoffed, and you nearly did in return. He came closer and examined your ensemble, keeping his distance slightly. His gaze remained expressionless a moment, clearly he was unimpressed but nevertheless intrigued, "You're in the 60s now, dear, we might as well dress you for it," he stepped back, feeling confident in his prescription to your wardrobe's malady, you couldn't help but smile, "We'll go to the shops after breakfast".

 "Won't that cost money?" you replied, concerned for the burden you were placing on him.

"Don't you worry about that, I've got a job and a few pence to spare" he said, doing his best to console your worries. He sure was sweet, "Now we best be off," he said walking around behind you to grab his things, "We don't want to miss the Shepard's Bush bus," he continued as he opened up the drawer of his bedside table. He grabbed a bit of money while you were in search of your shoes.

It didn't take long to find them. Freddie had placed them nicely at the foot of the bed. You sat on the floor and began to put them on. It felt so normal, tying your shoes, but it wasn't. You were going out to breakfast with Freddie Mercury, the Freddie Mercury.

It seemed impossible, yet here it was happening right before your eyes. You'd have to get over this feeling of impossibility, if this were in fact real, it would be your life now. There was no way to be sure it was a dream. You'd just have to do your best to treat it as if it were real.

Freddie had already gone downstairs and you followed. You walked through the hallway past a few bedrooms and a bathroom. As you descended the stairs, the room opened up to the main living room. Natural light flowed in through the small wood-framed windows at the other side of the room. The house was small and quaint and sweet, much like Freddie was.

You found Freddie waiting by the door. He'd opened it up to let the cold morning air in and his face glowed in the sunlight. When he heard your footsteps, he turned to you and smiled. You liked his smile, it was bigger than his shyness and it felt, in that moment, as if it had been gifted specifically for you. How could this be real?