22- I couldn't resist

I nearly slip when I hear the doorbell ring.

Shit. Shit. Shit. Asher's already here. Maybe I over dressed. It's too late to find a new outfit, so screw it.

"Chase! Asher's here!" My mom tells me.

"Okay!" I call back.

I take a quick glance in the mirror to make sure that I have nothing on my face or in my teeth. My outfit is sort of cute and my hair cooperated with me today. Not perfect, but good enough.

Taking a deep breath, I leave my room and head downstairs to where my mom is talking to Asher.

When I come into view, I see Asher's lips part as he looks right at me. I walk over to them and stand beside my mom.

"Hey, Chase," Asher greets me with a smile.

I tug on the hem of my shorts. "Hi."

"You two should get going," My mom says, practically shoving me into Asher.

I regain my balance and give her a flat look to which she wiggles her eyebrows.

Asher opens the front door for me and follows me outside.

"Bye, kiddos," My mom says. "Be safe and have fun."

"Bye, Mom," I say.

"Bye, Mrs.Ryder," Asher says, giving her a friendly smile and leading me to his car.

Asher opens his car door for me and waits for me to get in before getting into the driver's seat.

The familiar scent of jasmine fills the car just as Asher gets in.

"You can probably smell them," Asher chuckles, reaching back and grabbing something. He hands me a boquet of roses and jasmines.

"You remembered?" I ask, surprised.

Asher rubs the back of his neck. "Yeah. I was going to get geraniums, but they didn't have any."

"Thank you. I really appreciate it."

"It was nothing," Asher waves it off with a slight blush.

He starts the car and we leave my house.

"For a minute I thought you'd cancel on me," Asher suddenly says.

I furrow my eyebrows. "What? Why would I do that?"

"You've been avoiding me during social studies and you don't really reply to my texts. Did I do something?"

I mentally curse myself for being so overly dramatic. After Monday, I've been kinda distant since I didn't want myself to get too attached if he does have a thing with Brooke.

"You didn't do anything wrong, Asher," I assure him. "I was just...out of it, I guess."

He reaches over with one hand and squeezes my hand. "Can I be honest with you?"

"Of course."

"Brooke's nice and all, but social studies isn't fun anymore. I can't make dirty jokes, say pick up lines, or tease you anymore. I made a joke and she just gave me that polite awkward smile in response. If I made the same joke with you, you would've died laughing."

Some weird side in me felt glad that Brooke wasn't much fun. If she's not fun, Asher wouldn't crush on her, right?

"The entire week was torture to just sit there in silence," Asher continues. "How did you handle it?"

I shrug. "I like silence and being alone, so it doesn't really bother me. But, I was going crazy in that boring ass class."

"I kinda want to ask Crawford if we can sit together again."