Chapter nine: Feeding on rats.

A/N: Haha enjoy this chapter. 

We leaned on the edge of the boat in silence. The waves lapped around the boat. I was disappointed I couldn’t smell the ocean breeze. That salty but wonderful smell. A big wave crashed almost getting us wet.

The silence of what happened in the beginning of the night thickened. We both didn’t dare to look at each other in the eye. Until, Markus spoke again. “We should get something to eat. We can’t eat humans to suspicious. We can’t eat rats in the brig.”

I didn’t respond. I just played with the ring Philip gave me, admiring it. Wishing I could remember him. Markus watched me. His eyes flickered in anger. I looked up at him annoyed. “What is it?”

He looked down at the crushing waves. The wind whipped our hair in our faces. He said “You really were fond of him.”

I shrugged. “I felt bad but I could feel the electricity. I mean I am dead but could feel it was there. I could just tell I was in love with him before. I know he must have missed me so-“

“You kiss him. I know. To see what it was like.” He said in a rude tone.

I looked at him startled my eyebrows furrowed. “Markus! Why would you care if I was curious! Wait….are you?”

“Jealous? No.” He said simply but I could tell by his tone, it wasn’t a lie.

I smirked. “So you do care!”

“I don’t care about you. Only myself. You said it yourself.” He said passive aggressively.

I started to let that soak in as I braided my hair again. “Okay.” I said softly. “Let’s go get some food.”

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

“See and you hold it like this.” Markus said with a smile as he held the rat who tried to claw him. It squealed in the lonely darkness, warning its friends. Markus stroked it gently and said “There nasty but can keep you alive. I guess we help humans stay healthy from sickness!” He said cheerfully.

His fangs extended. His eyes weren’t totally red as mine. I’ve haven’t drank for a couple days. He stuck his canine teeth into the poor rat. He seemed to scream and struggle for life. This scared me. Humans would be like this but only begging us to stop. His lips pressed on the rat’s fur. When he was finished he threw the rat not caring.

I found one near my shoe and lighting speed I snatched it. Markus watched as it squirmed in my hand. My nails dug in it. For the first time my canine teeth extended. My eyes bright red and I dug it. It-tasted-not-nasty-but-gross. I sipped it carefully and I felt less dead.

Markus picked up another and joined me. I swear there is so many rats of this boat! I ate twenty of them. When I was finished I took my handkerchief and whipped the blood off my face. Markus through a rat and said “Your such a girl when it comes to being a vampire!” The blood slowly trickled from his lips to his chin.

I ignored him as I went back to our cabin. The sun was almost up. At least we didn’t have a window. Markus told the captain’s daughter that he gets sea sick easily. I sat relaxing in the chair. ‘A ring from the heart.’ I though as I twirled it. Markus came in glaring at it.

“I’m not engaged Markus.” I said playfully.

Markus said in annoyed tone “Trust me, I know. I just can’t believe you just….”

“Just what?” I confirmed I didn’t know what he was going to say.

He rolled his eyes and said “You have a weird love life.”